• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Its in the smoke

Ok what was you doing at 5 in the morning? Well I got me a fire going and coals hot for my first brisket. I had it marinating over night and place a somewhat rub on it and slapped it on the grill. Now I gotta wait for the finished product in 5 hours but it sure is looking good I hope. Haven't peeked at it but awful tempting but just don't want to lower temp down got it running about 225 to 270. My tastebuds are droolinggggggggg mmmmmmmmmmmm :onfire:

so what time's dinner?

Well if I ciphered this chunk right, it should be done and ready to consume about ................at least 1 o'clock Just make sure you bring the beans or at least the ice tea. oh what the heck just show up lol

you never can tell OJ...we might have to do this for real one of these days...and I will bring Shiner...hope that is ok with you...

understand about the ice tea...hope you don't mind me sippin a few shiners...

I haven't got my temp yet but I want one. I jus kinda guess at this one by the firmness and 7 hours later it was really good but I wished I covered it up with Alumnium foil to keep it moist. Heres a picture of the end results:

The small two roast are deer and they were done but very dry. They were really good though Any extra ideas or hints let me know thanks

okie joe said:
I haven't got my temp yet but I want one. I jus kinda guess at this one by the firmness and 7 hours later it was really good but I wished I covered it up with Alumnium foil to keep it moist. Heres a picture of the end results:

The small two roast are deer and they were done but very dry. They were really good though Any extra ideas or hints let me know thanks

Bacon my friend, bacon...carefully slit the venison roast several places and wedge some peices of raw bacon in the cuts. Let the bacon supply the grease for the roast....dang good...

Has anyone got some diagrams with dimensions of smoker boxes. I'm getting near that stage in my 44 gal. bbq/smoker build and all I've got to go on is advertising flyers & pics of the outside.
cheers
~bent

OJ .. I use what is called a mop when smoking... just a mixture of things like beer, worechshire, a little of the rub, water and oil (there are lot of books and info on the 'net) , I hit it every hour or so after the first wrapping in foil is good when you reach a sticking point in the temps especially in a pork butt well even in a brisket I get hung up at around 170F for awhile before I hit 190F. Experiment and you'll find what you like

I use a water pan full of the marinate right in front of the hole of the fire box.Keep it full all through the smoking. Try to keep the temp at 240f to no higher then 280f.But as far as deer I agree with AJ it is the (IMO) best way to do deer. I like slab bacon, you can cut good chunkS.
Dan

yOU can also if you want get some beef fat from the butcher.

LET IT BURN

bowhunter said:
I use a water pan full of the marinate right in front of the hole of the fire box.Keep it full all through the smoking. Try to keep the temp at 240f to no higher then 280f.But as far as deer I agree with AJ it is the (IMO) best way to do deer. I like slab bacon, you can cut good chunkS.
Dan

yOU can also if you want get some beef fat from the butcher.

LET IT BURN

Agree with bowhunter on the beef fat (talor)...when we skinned, boned and ground our venison, we added 10 pounds of beef talor per 90 lbs of venison...(I hunted in Alabama)...last time I took part in a mass meat processing party (MMPP), we used almost 70 lbs of talor...(9 deer)...can you imagine 650 + lbs of ground venison?

Last time I had venison it was 1 day old - someone at work went hunting the day before and butchers his own game.

It was possibly the best meat I've ever had. Juicy, tender... I can't imagine needing to make it MORE juicy, but then again, we just did it on the grill. Never smoked anything before. I guess the long cooking time dries it up good.

This may be silly, but does searing help? Some people say it locks in juices for grilling...

Searing will help for grilling, but if you smoke venison, there's really no fat content to run through the meat in order for the meat to stay moist...hence the bacon.

Joe, all I have to say is "low and slow". When I do a brisket, the temp of the smoker is right around 225F at the most. I also keep in on there much longer than 5 hours, but I usually get the whole brisket, not a butchers cut. Mine usually run about 16+ hours.

If you like pulled pork, it's about the easiest thing to do. Let me know when you're doing one, and I'll see if I have any of my Nuclear Scurvy hot sauce to sent ya. It pairs perfectly with a pulled pork sandwich.

Oh-- I can give you some advice on smoking it too!

bentalphanerd said:
Has anyone got some diagrams with dimensions of smoker boxes. I'm getting near that stage in my 44 gal. bbq/smoker build and all I've got to go on is advertising flyers & pics of the outside.
cheers
~bent

My grill is made out of 16in O.D. by 39in L.fire box is 16in O.D.by18in L.My smoker looks just like OJ Charcoal smoker. when the blizzard stops I will go out and see how far down from the top of the grill the box is set at.If there is any thind you want me to check PM me and I will do my best to help.
Dan

LET IT BURN

hey OJ...when i smoke brisket( as usual rub it down the day before with my favorite rub) I usually have a spary bottle full of applecider that I spay the meat with once an hour. and usually the last hour on the smoker I srap the meat really good and wrap it in foil to cook thae final hour....always very juicy!!!!!

Back