• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

It's my turn again!!!!!

Spring starts here In Australia in September, and i'm starting to get the itch (No, not what your thinking - well maybe:lol:).

The itch to plant all things hot... and maybe some extra things as well.

I have all my seeds in a grow box (lined wooden chest with a 10watt light globe) at the moment and they should germinate any day.

Grow list below:

ChilliS

Hot Banana
Hungarian wax
Golden Cayenne
Aji Rojo
Hot Lemon
Chocolate Habanero
White Habanero
Goatsweed
Tepin
Bih Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia

Tomatos

Golden Gem Hybrid
Hugh's
Sprite
Pineapple Tomato

Capsicum (bell pepper)

Ariane
Bianca Hybrid
Chocolate Beauty Hybrid
Super Heavyweight Hybrid
Early Sunsation Hybrid

I am also growing about 15 different types of herds, lemon grass and lots of other vegies

My Father-in-law owns 4000 square metres at the back of his place and he has told me that i can use as much of it as i want as a garden for all my plants.:)

*Drools as he writes*

And as i only live next door to him at the moment it is just perfect.

I will post pics just as soon as i am able.

moyboy said:
He has a son who is gay if you are desperate!!!!! :P

I would love to welcome you to the family bent:lol:

lol @ Moyboy really nice..well thought selction of peppers/Toms and
Bells Herbs and assorted veg..you will have a good Aussie Summer buddy ;)

Thanks Talas, I will be putting up pregressive growing pics as soon as i get time.

you will be left with an open mouth when you see the size of the place i have to play with.:shocked:

All flat grassy land. The only problem i will have is it can get pretty windy at times.

So I understand then that it is time to plant my seeds?

It's cold up here at the moment, and coz it's brizbane, we dont heat the house. Any pics/ideas for a simple(CHEAP) heating/grow box? I got one of the yates seed things with the clear lid, so just heating ideas i guess.

Cheers,

RS

RS, i use a thin wooden chest that i picked up from a cheap furniture store.

It is about 1m x 0.5m x 0.5m, and i have some thin polystyrene sheets lining the walls & lid.

I have a 10watt standard globe (not a fluoro) mounted high on the side controlled by a cheap thermostat, and this keeps the soil at about 26-28 degrees C.

I have got it set up so that when the seedlings sprout i can swap from the 10watt (heating) globe to a double 18watt fluoro with grow light tubes.

I can fit 40 seeds in this box, and you could fit heaps more depending on your planting system.

If you only have a few seeds you want to germinate then all my brother does is gets a few small pots (say 4") and tapes a round clear chinese food container on top. He sprays it with a bit of water to get the soil moist and then leaves them on the window sill and he gets 100% germination.

TY Moyboy!

Even with colder overnight temps your bro has success? At the moment, it's getting down to about 10-12C inside (no heating), so I'll have to go the "heated box" route.

Cheers,
RS

RS, it should still be ok as long as it still gets good sun through the day, and it may just take a few extra days to germinate.

My brother uses seed starter, and just plan old water....

If you are a little worried about the temps then a simple box is the way to go, but remember, less is best. A 10watt light globe is all you will need for the box size listed above and even then you will want it on a thermostat as the indoor temps start to rise, or leave the lid open an inch or 2.

The first globe i tried last year was a 60 watt without the thermostat. Lets just say that when i had a look in the box after about 24 hours It was already to late and i had killed the seeds. The soil temp was up near 50 degrees C.:shocked:

Wow, that's almost ten times the size of my garden!! Can't wait for pics, must be awesome to have that much space at your disposal. I won't complain though, I am more than happy with my garden but 4000 sq meters - wow!

A few pics

This is my heat box
PB2904971136x852.jpg

The globe is actually 40 watt (i said 10 watt above)
PB2904991136x852.jpg

This a Red Hab that is still producing even at the end of winter. Not very healthy though....
PB2905021136x852.jpg

This is one of my Orange habs today. It is near the end of winter and this plant is in the ground outside....
PB2905041704x1278.jpg

Sorry, I didn't realise the pics would be so big.

I have 2 tomatoes and a broad bean just sprouted.:onfire:

My first little babies for the season....

They are so cute.:lol:

Will post a pic of the 4000 square meters in a few days.

:drooling:

Oh yeah I will have a new addition to the clan soon. I have a Naga Morich on the way.:hell:

MB,
if that box was in my house, i dont think the missus would let me epoxy in some carpy foam and put a bulb in it! I gonna take the idea and put it in a cardboard box -- in the shed. I'm very low tech, so I'll set it up on the weekend, and see how often i need to cycle on/off the light with a simple timer. I'm thinking 30/15 on/off should be about right.

Time for more pic's

This is the back yard that i am going to play with and dig up as i see fit....Thanks to my father-in-law.

006750x562.jpg

004750x562.jpg

The mowed area is where i am going to put the garden, set off the fence a few meters.
005750x562.jpg

So I've got a bit off work infront of me and i hope to take a few days off in the next few weeks to play.

Wow moyboy thats some serious space..you could get a plantation worth of chilis,fruit and vegetables in there :)

Almost all of my chillis have sprouted. Only the Hot Banana left to go. The other ones i'm waiting on are all capcicums (bell peppers), and some snow peas.

007750x562.jpg

I have wired up a 18watt Double Fluoro with 2 Grow light tudes, and i have it on chains so i can move it up when needed...
009750x562.jpg

Don't worry, I'm an electricain by trade. :)

What a garden!!! This is almost too much space! :)

I think I'd go crazy if I'd have that at my disposal. I'd probably grow five plants each of 200 varieties or sth like that! I'm probably better off having limited although much more space than before now that I have the garden...

Compared to this it is just a handful of soil with a house on it though! :) Enjoy your new territory!

looks great,
ask your bro about the devils tongue seeds, try and get someoff him excellent plants, great flavour.

Mick

Back