• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

It's Outta Control!

I'm trying to keep up....

20080911_0008.jpg

Pickled Pain!
20080911_0009.jpg

Nice lot there Casey. That's cheating though. You can barely burn your hands and face and eyes and nose like that. You have to cut them up and then cooks them to get the full effects of the pain! :mouthonfire:

Looking good Casey, now you need to dry some( so you can have powder) or chop some up for freezing ( used for cooking anything.) That's a nice crop you have there and the work is so worth it.

Beauty!

I gotta pick up a pressure cooker and stuff soon too. I used to sit and watch/help Mom can stuff as a kid, and would love to pick it up again.

Plus, once I have pods, I'll about have to. :)

pepperfever said:
Looking good Casey, now you need to dry some( so you can have powder) or chop some up for freezing ( used for cooking anything.) That's a nice crop you have there and the work is so worth it.

Yeah ,the two ziplocks in the pic contain dried peppers - I got the excaliber dehydrator working overtime.

Chiliac said:
I was about to ask the same question. Would be cool if you could share it!

I'd be happy to -
Although all measurements are approximate --
Makes 4 pints or 2 quarts..

-2 lbs peppers, I use red and orange habs, tabascos, serrano's, thai and super cayennes, mostly...
-About 2 cups distilled white vinegar
-About 2 cups water
-About 4 tsps pickling salt
-Garlic cloves, peeled and slightly crushed with the side of a knife
-Peppercorns
-1/2 of a bay leaf per jar
-dash of allspice per jar or allspice berries

- boil your mason jars for 10 minutes, caps a little less.
-bring the vinegar, water, and salt to a boil in a seperate pot.
- divide the garlic and the other dried ingredients among the removed hot mason jars
-slice the peppers in half and pack the jars. You may want to wear gloves...
-pour the hot vinegar over the peppers, leave a 1/4 inch of headspace, and push out any air bubbles with a butterknife or similar...
-screw on your canning lids and rings
-process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Be sure the boiling water covers the jars.

Let cool, and wait about a month before delving into heavenly hell.

Here is the book I use, HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Pickling-Flavor-Packed-Recipes-Produce/dp/1558321330

I make some killer habanero dill pickles and many other treats, thanks to the ideas from this book.

Enjoy

That is nice don't complain you got going my friend that is the way to go never is to many that is harvest about to enjoy year hard work.

bjs2006 said:
What variety are those large pods to the left?

They were labelled "super cayennes", I thought that just meant I would get nice sized cayennes, but these are huge and the yield is incredible. They are more like italian frying peppers, except bright red and kinda hot - nowhere near as hot as normal cayennes...

bjs2006 said:
What variety are those large pods to the left?

That is exactly what I wanted to know! They look like Holy Moles but red instead of brown. Sweet! What a fabulous assortment of peppers! Nice work! Do they retain their crispness when pickled - like cucumbers do when pickled?

PrairieChilihead said:
That is exactly what I wanted to know! They look like Holy Moles but red instead of brown. Sweet! What a fabulous assortment of peppers! Nice work! Do they retain their crispness when pickled - like cucumbers do when pickled?

For the most part, they get kinda soft in the jar due to the boiling water canning method, but still are delicious!

Looks like you are in the same boat as I -- enjoy ...last year was horrible for me so karma finally paid me a visit

Back