• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat I've read a lot of debates about the hottest, how about the tastiest?

As much as I love fiery peppers, I love peppers first for the flavor they add to any dish. I've read a lot of debates about what pepper is the "hottest", how about most delicious.

From my limited experience, the tastiest powder I made last year was red scotch bonnet. I will
be making powders also with the 7 pod and red savina, so will see how these compare tastewise
this year.

I love the habanero. Granted, I haven't ventured further than the orange hab... which is very tasty. It has a great citrus undertone, that compliments the heat very well. Serranos and jalapenos have almost a biting quality, which is nice, but the hab gives you a nice all around burn, accompanied by a sweet flavor. Scotch bonnets have a similar sweet/hot characteristic, and are definitely one of my favorite peppers. I use a lot of lotties barbados mustard sauce for that very reason.

I think the Extremely hot ones are just hot---that is it---no flavor just heat.

It seems that there are a lot of macho-how-much-can-you-stand to eat kind of guys in here who are only out to try and beat the next guy in heat. For those people heat is the only criteria that is meaningful so asking them about flavor is like asking crocodiles what he likes better; little people or big people.

I think there is a difference in the flavor of some peppers and that is why I am raising a large variety of mild and medium peppers, Besides being able to unload them in the general populace I also want to try and get a flavor scale for them. Thus far I have not found any kind of flavor list for peppers even though there are a heck of large amount of types out there. I think it is about time some of us try and separate pepper by flavor instead of just heat.

I have a pepper lover here besides me and maybe I can find another few locally and hold a tasting test and get some data on the flavor this summer. For the HOT peppers I am going to ferment them 3 months without seeds and make a variety salsa out of them that is all the same except for the peppers and put that on creamed cheese crackers for taste testing in fall.

Right now all I can say with convection is that Store Bought Bells are at the bottom of my flavor list and peteroncini is on the top but have a few hundred left to taste.

+1 on the bonnets. I'm growing several different kinds this season, close to 10 different varieties of 'em I believe. But, everyone has their own taste.

I'd agree that heat often seems to be focused on a bit much in these pepper discussions, but some of the hot ones have a massive amount of taste too. I haven't tasted any superhots yet, but it was quite a shock to me just how strong a taste a Fatali has. Even if you just put half a pod in a large meal for one or two the Fatali taste is almost dominant. The taste, not the heat.

This is my first year growing so I did a stupid amount of reading on online forums to figure out which peppers people tend to feel actually taste good and not just hot. Some got mentioned everywhere I looked, so I picked those up:

Lemon Drop
Chocolate Scotch Bonnet/Habanero
Trinidad Perfume
Rocoto
People agree that you have to have a sort of Jalapeno too, so I got some Early Jalapeno.

Beyond that Justaguy pretty much summed up what a lot of hot/superhot lovers mention, so I ended up also ordering
Fatalii
Yellow 7Pot
Bhut Jolokia

Not sure if I'll find a proper use for the last two or not. I guess we'll see what I can take, or I'll just have to make loads of chili con carne (do that anyway). Some won't get a chance to put out pods until next season, so I'll have to wait and see about those.

I think the Extremely hot ones are just hot---that is it---no flavor just heat.

It seems that there are a lot of macho-how-much-can-you-stand to eat kind of guys in here who are only out to try and beat the next guy in heat.

Right now all I can say with convection is that Store Bought Bells are at the bottom of my flavor list and peteroncini is on the top but have a few hundred left to taste.

You are uneducated about the "Extremely hot ones", they all have flavor. Like everything else, some people like certain flavors while others do not. There are the macho types but they are everywhere. The worlds hottest pepper (according to Guiness) is the Trinidad Scorpion, and the Bhut Jolokia is a close second. I prefer the the T-Scorp over the Bhut, nothing to do with heat.
Different pepper flavors paired with different foods is the fun part. Fatalli with Chicken, Jonah 7-Pot with chorizo, etc. etc. etc.

When it's harvest season, you really should buy a "variety pack" of peppers from one of the growers.
When you get them home, cut them into 1/8" or 1/4" squares, and taste them one at a time, (use a toothpic).
It will blow your mind. The difference in flavors from pepper to pepper is remarkable.

Happy Tasting!

datil
fatalli
wild brazil *** (my top fav)
aji yellow
aji pineapple
wiri wiri
harold st barts
aji omni-color
douglah
jamaican hot chocolate hab

OH MAN THERE ARE SO MANY!! :party: :drooling:
i cant say i like them all but the these are some of the best (IMHO)

Back