• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Jalapeños Probed In Outbreak

FDA Finds Salmonella Strain in Jalapeno Pepper

WASHINGTON — Government inspectors finally have a big clue in the nationwide salmonella outbreak: They found the same bacteria strain on a single Mexican-grown jalapeno pepper handled in Texas — and issued a stronger warning for consumers to avoid fresh jalapenos.
But Monday's discovery, the equivalent of a fingerprint, doesn't solve the mystery: Authorities still don't know where the pepper became tainted — on the farm, or in the McAllen, Texas, plant, or at some stop in between, such as a packing house.

Ugh, not to get political, but this is probably the same thing that happened with the spinach scare two years ago. Illegal Mexican workers going off and peeing in the bushes, not washing their hands and then picking the food.

imaguitargod said:
Ugh, not to get political, but this is probably the same thing that happened with the spinach scare two years ago. Illegal Mexican workers going off and peeing in the bushes, not washing their hands and then picking the food.

I thought they blamed the spinach one on wild hogs running through the fields...

I basically posted it to warn all the pepper lovers to make sure to wash their peppers very well if bought from a market.

You never know.

Better safe than sick.

NatGreenMeds said:
I basically posted it to warn all the pepper lovers to make sure to wash their peppers very well if bought from a market.

You never know.

Better safe than sick.

All the more reason to grow your own.

Funny, I was just at the store and they had loads of orange habs, some nice Anaheims, and even some serranos...but an empty space where the jalapenos were. :(

Can't people learn to wash their food properly??

QuadShotz said:
Funny, I was just at the store and they had loads of orange habs, some nice Anaheims, and even some serranos...but an empty space where the jalapenos were. :(

Can't people learn to wash their food properly??

The same thing at my local store. The Habs are pretty nice. The $5 per/pound price tag is a little intimidating, but I bought 10 of them at that price and it was only 88 cents. They don't weigh much each.

It's hard to believe, but I recently was in a discussion with several people who told me about their "2 second rule". I thought they were kidding, but they got pretty hot about it when I said it was stupid. They said that if they dropped food on the floor, if it was picked up within 2 seconds that it couldn't have time to develop any bacteria on it and that made it ok to eat right off the floor.

Evidently lots of people believe that nonsense. They looked at me like I was nuts when I told them that was an insane rule and it could kill them one day.

Washing the food from the produce areas doesn't even matter to these people. One of this bunch said to me "When you eat things that have bad things on them, it makes you stronger".

Oh boy........

texas blues said:
I would think that 1,000 cases out of 400 million Americans is overhype.

Teeny discrepancy in your figure there. Theres only just over 300 million Americans.
You just boosted our population by 30% :)

The point is still quite valid though. 1000 cases is about 1 out of every 300,000 people

Not exactly an epidemic...

The CNN article I read kept saying that cooked or picked peppers were OK....

Like anyone is eating them right off of the plant without picking them.

They meant pickled.

cheezydemon said:
The CNN article I read kept saying that cooked or picked peppers were OK....

Like anyone is eating them right off of the plant without picking them.

They meant pickled.

Can you imagine trying to eat un-picked peppers? My God, just think of the roughage!

Oh BTW..

Here's my uber-simple method for washing peppers. It won't work very well with leafy or larger veggies..but seems great for peppers since they'll slosh all around .

Stuff comes in those plastic bags right? So, use them.

I take a dash of regular dish soap, fill the bag partway with hot water, and make like a washing machine.

S6301111.JPG

Then after a while of doing that, I simple drain into a colander and rinse well with more hot water.

S6301113.JPG

Don't reuse the original bag, put peppers in whatever you like...
I usually just use another clean bag.

No soap residue that I can detect, and peppers are clean.

Simple, eh? :D

-QS

chuk hell said:
What the heck is "sommamella"?

It's a type of brain poisoning that happens after having to read 12 pages of newspaper article, word by word. :oops:

I knew it looked wrong but was too lazy to look up the correct spelling.

Mike

Be careful eating Japs and Serranos everyone.

They linked the Salmonella outbreak to a pepper farm in Mexico that grows Jalapenos and Serranos and adivse everyome to not eat fresh peppers of this kind so be careful.

Of course I ate Jalapenos last night and Serranos the night before, both fresh. :doh:

Back