• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Wow man! Nice crane! And nice planting! Love the bottom watering. I'm still getting all my systems down but it seems like keeping the babies a little dry on the leaves works wonders!

Happy growing!

Thanks for all the comments guys on the onions and the crane. 
JJJessee said:
Grow is coming along nicely, Jeff. Thanks for the heads up on the manzano leaf burn. I think I have some on one of mine too.
I'm going to have to reorganize trays by plant size this weekend and mix light requirements for the manz in there too.  :confused:

Yeah, onions sets. That's about all I've ever grown. I did have good success with some hybrid scallions I direct seeded two summers ago that overwintered.
Last year, onions were almost a total wash for me- from seeds and sets. Usually sets are just about fool proof. I finally proved that wrong. :D But generally, ease of growing, planting, spur of the moment planting, all make them popular.

What's that crane set up for?

stickman said:

+1 on Scott's comments... start your onion seeds now... they're a little slow to start, probably because the surface area of the leaves is so small that they don't photosynthesize much food at first. You can give them a little boost by dissolving a few tablespoons of molasses in a gallon of water and using that to water the plants with. It does two things... first, it provides a little bit of sugar that the plants can take in by the roots, and second, it also feeds the soil-dwelling bacteria that pre-digest the organic matter in it into a form the plants can take in and use as well as providing Potassium and trace minerals. Just don't overdo the application as a very little goes a long way and too much of a good thing could prove lethal to your plants by making the soil anoxic. That's why molasses is also used for weed control. I used a little molasses weekly when watering all my garden vegetables last year (including peppers), and I think it made a big difference.
http://www.thesoilguy.com/SG/Molasses

Devv said:
As to why I used sets lets year? I couldn't fine anything else.

Next year going back to seeds, The bunches this year have to many tiny plants for my taste.

I used dry molasses and liquid last year in weak doses too. It and seaweed extract are good soil builders.

All right, you all have me convinced. Onions in the dirt today. Pics below. I'll do some reading on the molasses too. 

GA Growhead said:
That crane is seriously big! You put that together? Huge feat!

maximumcapsicum said:
Wow man! Nice crane! And nice planting! Love the bottom watering. I'm still getting all my systems down but it seems like keeping the babies a little dry on the leaves works wonders!

Happy growing!

HillBilly Jeff said:
I just don't know how you know how much that thing weighs  :party:  :party:  :party:

The crane isn't mine, but we have it rented for a couple months. We have a contract to install a 200' tall steel tower to support a filter separator (whatever the heck that is) at a local power plant. Should be a fun project if it wasn't on the river and rather cold. 

No idea how much it weighs, but it came in on about 8 tractor trailers. 

Now back to peppers. One of my favorite peppers is of course the Jalapeno. I decided to grab all of the 'penos for a family photo. 
20140201_090704.jpg

I didn't realize until later when I counted that there was one too many. I only have 11 'penos. Somehow a baccatum photo bombed the photo. Anyone guess which one it is?

90 onions started. I filled out the last 18 spots in the annuum tray I started the other day and planted a full 72 cell tray. 
20140201_113817.jpg

Here are the 3 types. 
20140201_114328.jpg

18 Cortlands planted with the annuums
36 Ruby ring
36 Pontiac yellow. The pellets are pretty cool and easy to plant. 

A close up of some of the 'penos. 
20140201_090820.jpg

They are growing fine, if a little yellow, but I'm not too please with their root structure so I'm in the process of getting most of the small plants out of the peat/perlite and into the Happy Frog. Getting tired of mixing nute water up for the plants every few days. This photo was taken right before the transplant this morning. We'll check up on them in a couple of weeks to see if they are greener. 

I need to gather up all of my Pubes and all of my Naga chilies for some family photos of their own. Between them and the 'penos, they have to be my favorite types. 

Plants are looking really good.  I am sure they will green up rather nicely for you.  I'm only going with 6 jalapenos.  Was going to be three and three but I think it will end up 4 Goliath and 2 purple.

No Idea which one photo bombed but if I had to guess the one in the round pot.

Good luck on the onions...I'm going to wait no matter how much it hurts lol

I got so sidetracked with the onions and the transplanting that I totally forgot about the pizza pics that  mentioned. 

Here is the before pic. Right one is vegetarian, left one has all the good stuff and some red hab flakes. 

20140131_184112.jpg

After cooking at 450 for 10-15 minutes. 

20140131_190201.jpg

So I went around the house today and took a tally of what is actually growing around here. Note that not all of these will make the cut and will be gifted to worthy people, but also, there is a good amount still to germinate from round 3. 

Chinense:
Paper Lantern. 3
Red Ghost  4
TSBT 2
Reaper   3
Jigsaw   1
Naga morarch  2 
Indian Carbon   4
White Bhut   3
MOA   4
Caribbean Red   2

Pubes:
Monzano   4
Rocoto   3

Fut:
Tabasco   2

Baccatum:
Aji Lemon   3
Brazilian Starfish   1

Annuum:
Red Thai   1
Hungarian wax   1
Giant Jalapeno   6
Julmundo   5
Jamacian Mushroom  1
Pasilla Bajio   1
Mirasol   2
Poblano   1

Plants look fine Jeff!

They will come around and take off. I have quite a few Jal's going mainly for the wife, she loves them. And if that helps her embrace the peppers I'm good ;)

Pizza is a good thing, especially when homemade. I'm sure it was a hit!

Devv said:
Plants look fine Jeff!

They will come around and take off. I have quite a few Jal's going mainly for the wife, she loves them. And if that helps her embrace the peppers I'm good ;)

Pizza is a good thing, especially when homemade. I'm sure it was a hit!
I actually eat a fair amount of 'peno as well as my son. They make good salsas and pickled 'penos too. If you look at the two varieties I am growing, neither are mild ones. My wife is the mild one and we make 'peno hot sauce for her.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Good looking list so far!!! Can't wait to see the next round.
Me neither. I've checked twice and no action yet. :D

Devv said:
LB actually made a mild hot sauce last weekend, that's a huge step!

I love it when she asks for a JA Hab when she makes chicken quesadilla's

I feel the more exposure, the more they will add the heat.
Oh, I definitely agree with this. The more exposure the better. My plan this year will be to get the wife to eat salsa with monzanos in there. She will love the flavor if she can take the heat. Start slow though or she'll get scared.

maximumcapsicum said:
Amazing operation Jeff! Yeah we go through our weight in jalapeños. Bread and butter. Hoping for a big harvest this season.
Jalapenos are like the perfect medium for everything. You can stuff them, fry them, roast them, pickle them et.al. Sure you can do that with other peppers, but I always come back to jals for some reason. Verde should be my middle name, but I like them red too.

Thanks to a little help from Chris Joyner, I figured out how to get a spreadsheet to actually post on this site. Use the work computer running Windows 7, use the snipping tool and save it as a jpeg. Then post as any other pic.

Here are the two flats of seeds started over the weekend. No sprouts yet. :mope:

The balance of the annuums and a couple Bacctums that I'm trying again, then the sweets and onions.
72+cell+flats.JPG

Another vote here for jalapeños.  I'm planting a few different varieties this year, looking for an optimal variety for bread and butter pickled rings (good size, thick wall, small cavity, few seeds). 

HillBilly Jeff said:
Nice looking list.  You are making it really hard to hold out on planting lol.

Good luck on the new grow.  Onions should be popping soon!!  If they aren't up by noon, you might want to consider replanting :)
Checked again last night. Nothing yet. :mope:

maximumcapsicum said:
That is a ton of onions. What spacing are you going for on em?

Bur remember, each plant only makes one onion. 90 onions isn't really that many when you think about it. Spacing is 4" I think.

Sawyer said:
Another vote here for jalapeños.  I'm planting a few different varieties this year, looking for an optimal variety for bread and butter pickled rings (good size, thick wall, small cavity, few seeds). 
My son goes through pickled rings fast. I can hardly make enough for him. Last year's batch got real soft when I canned them. I need to get a hold of that chemical that is supposed to keep them crispy and try it out this year.

http://www.starkbros.com/products/tools-and-supplies/kitchen-and-canning-supplies/ball-pickle-crisp?gclid=CM2D2_-_srwCFa9FMgodPhsACg

HillBilly Jeff said:
Can't have a garden without Jalapeno peppers.  One word. Poppers!!

Yep, I plan on lots of poppers this year. :D

New thermostats finally arrived from Amazon. I can finish my dehydrator thread finally. I ordered them from the cheapest place I could find last year for $5.00 and free shipping. They were to ship from China and told me 4-6 weeks. Well I was supposed to have them sometime in December but they never came. I got too busy over the holidays to do something about it and then last week I finally remembered. Reordered them from Amazon and had them in 3 days.
20140203_174637.jpg

Jeff H said:
My son goes through pickled rings fast. I can hardly make enough for him. Last year's batch got real soft when I canned them. I need to get a hold of that chemical that is supposed to keep them crispy and try it out this year.

http://www.starkbros.com/products/tools-and-supplies/kitchen-and-canning-supplies/ball-pickle-crisp?gclid=CM2D2_-_srwCFa9FMgodPhsACg

Pickle Crisp is nothing more than calcium chloride.  You can find it for much, much less than $10 for 5.5 oz at online brewing supply houses.  I've seen it for as little as $5/lb.  I bought mine from Amazon for $10/lb (before seeing the better price).  It doesn't take much, though.  I used 1/8 tsp. per pint in my jalapeño rings and they came out fine.  I cold-pack the sliced jalapeños, add the CaCl2 to the jar, pour the hot pickling mix over the slices, then hot water bath process the jars for about 10 minutes.  I've made two batches.  In the first I added the CaCl2 to the mix as I was heating it, but that didn't seem to provide as consistent results as adding it directly to the jars.

Back