• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

I've tried both and prefer the CaCl2.  I suppose it's a matter of taste.  One thing I like about CaCl2 is that it has a salty taste, so you can reduce the amount of NaCl used in the recipe.  I don't pay much attention to sodium intake myself (except when I'm sweating a lot and need extra), but some people do and this is one way to reduce intake.

Weird. Maybe the processing time is just a bit long? I've never used any of that and the jars I made last year were perfectly crisp. Maybe they could have been crisper and I just didn't know what I was missing...

So yesterday I noticed a couple of leaves drop off of the hydro rocoto. This is in addition to the ones fell off of the hydro Naga Morarch the other day so I started doing some reading about what I already suspected. Root rot. Seems the best explanation for what is going on and almost all of the Mary Jane websites agree. Unexpected leaf drop is usually pythium.

Dug around in the perlite to take a look at the roots. Hmmmmmmmmm. :think: :think: These are about the healthiest roots I have ever seen. Not a single brown root anywhere except at the ends where they were air pruned. :think: :think:

Naga Morarch.
20140204_183313.jpg

Rocoto even looks healthier.
20140204_183516.jpg

Here is pics of the Naga Morarch showing it's dropped leaves. Weird that they are all on one side.
20140204_183402.jpg

Top of the plant looks extremely healthy too.
20140204_183417.jpg

Rocoto. 3 leaves look like this. Only 3.
20140204_183619.jpg

Rest of the plant looks looks healthy.
20140204_183631.jpg

I'm a little stumped, but at this point, I am just chalking it up to a nutrient imbalance or something like that. I changed the nutes and added some H2O2 anyway since if there was any pythium somewhere, this would take care of it.

In related news, the monzano and paper lantern (also in the same flood table) are perfectly happy and pumping out pods.

Monzano
20140204_184733.jpg

Ist winter pod to start to ripen. Paper Lantern.
20140204_184743.jpg

HillBilly Jeff said:
alum will work just the same as pickle crisp.  Don't use the crisp myself, I always use alum.
Interesting. Where do you buy that? I've heard of it but never seen it in the stores.

Sawyer said:
I've tried both and prefer the CaCl2.  I suppose it's a matter of taste.  One thing I like about CaCl2 is that it has a salty taste, so you can reduce the amount of NaCl used in the recipe.  I don't pay much attention to sodium intake myself (except when I'm sweating a lot and need extra), but some people do and this is one way to reduce intake.
Good to know. I don't really watch salt intake either, but I really should.

maximumcapsicum said:
Weird. Maybe the processing time is just a bit long? I've never used any of that and the jars I made last year were perfectly crisp. Maybe they could have been crisper and I just didn't know what I was missing...

Jals are better than others. I pickled some habs and bananna peppers that are positively soggy. Probably processing time, but the CaCl should help.

Probably the thinner fruits. I had a can of bananas I pitched because they didn't seal properly. Dunno if they would have been crisp or not. I could definitely see a hab going soft though. Maybe shorter processing times?

Sorry about the leaf drop, but I think a nutrient problem may explain it better, just like you were thinking. Easier to fix too, than a rampant fungus. Not sure how to fix it though... I have historically overdone nitrogen.

Good luck!

That is odd on the leaf drop.  Could it be a temp change?    Should be able to get alum at the grocery store.  I need to get some more for tanning squirrel hides.

Let us know what you find out.

Oh, and yes I am jealous of your winter pods!!!  Congrats!!!

Damn it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I did it again. Bought more seeds......

I was talking to my wife the other day and she was saying how the jalapenos I am growing are too hot for her to eat raw. I ordered some Tam jalapenos just for her. Probably three plants. While I was at it, I ordered some purple 'penos too.

This is rediculus. already have 11 peno plants. now 5-6 more? Oh well. :confused:

maximumcapsicum said:
11 peno plants is nothing. 20 at least or go home.

You know, you're probably right . go big or go home. When the seeds arrive, more will be hitting the dirt.

Back to my topic of leaves dropping, it occurred to me that it was extremely odd that I was only losing leaves off of one side of two different plants. What I didn't mention at the time was that both of the plants were in the same exact spot in the flood table when the leaves started to fall off. Weird right?

Well I was doing a bit of reading since work is slow today and I was thinking about the picture H Jeff posted about the vertical herb garden. In this link here they talk about a vertical vegetable garden that I thought was really cool too, then I started reading some of the comments from some guy who says he works in a plastics plant.

PVC is not toxic. It is not food safe either. That is why you never see foods packaged in PVC. Believe me, if it was safe for food, you'd see it everywhere in the grocery aisles.

As for plumbing, PVC is used for water/waste leaving the house, not coming into it.

The reason PVC is not food safe is because petro chemicals leech out of it over time. This means that over time, what ever is stored inside absorbs those chemicals. If it is food, and the food is ingested, then those chemicals gets inside whoever eats that food.

This is a great idea, but we need a different material to build it from.

PVC, or polyvinyl chloride is in wide use for both water (cPVC) and even food storage (Saran wrap apparently makes use of it). However, what is not commonly known is that there are chemicals which can be leeched out of the plastic through time or environment. PVC outgasses (as does most plastics, which is why they have the smell). Heat also causes the PVC to outgas, One reason why you shouldn't microwave Saran wrap (or any plastic wrap) is that the thalates which makes the plastic pliable leeches out and into your food. Studies have shown a possible link between thalates and a reduction in population growth.
Further, food manufacturers (and I do work for one) will not use PVC for their packaging because of the leeching concern. This leeching is what makes PVC not food grade.

Now, I'm not saying that your project is bad. But I am concerned about the material used. Especially since I assume this is something that will be out in the full sun, where it will get heated up.

The vertical watering system is a great idea and I hope to use it myself.

But I couldn't just let everyone thing that is was perfectly okay to us PVC in food manufacturing, even when it's growing it yourself.

Now that I am thinking about it, all of the Rocoto leaves that were burned like the pic I posted were all directly next to one of the pvc pipes that my little lettuce operation is in. Could it be leaching gasses that the pepper plants don't like? IDK. Do I like my pepper plants more than the lettuce? Yep. I think I'll dismantle the lettuce operation for a little while and see if the plants look better in a month. I can always put it back in an 1/2 hour. Just 4 screws and a couple hoses. I should be able to find enough room in the flood table for a little lettuce and thyme and that basil can go in the dirt.

Interesting post. I know that PVC was an iffy material, especially around the baby... Didn't know it was from the thalates. Didn't know they were needed for pliability either.

Crazy if there was enough out gassing of something so irritating to the plants that they dropped leaves.

PVC is used a lot for new construction here in Texas. When I added on to the house I used copper, mainly because once it's soldered it should last a lifetime. The rest of the house is copper too. But our house is fed using PVC, and all the outdoor stuff is PVC.

Me I'd be surprised if PVC was the culprit, but I can't say for sure.

Jals, can't have enough, and they don't take up much space compared to some pepper varieties.

And if it makes the wife happy I so it's a go. If Momma's not happy..you know the rest. Therefore I live to please :D

maximumcapsicum said:
Interesting post. I know that PVC was an iffy material, especially around the baby... Didn't know it was from the thalates. Didn't know they were needed for pliability either.

Crazy if there was enough out gassing of something so irritating to the plants that they dropped leaves.

Just a theory of mine, certainly not fact yet. 

HillBilly Jeff said:
I have PVC  piping in my irrigation system...I wonder if it is safe???  

If you haven't grown Purple Jalapenos before, be prepared for somewhat of a shock :)

Other than the obvious color difference, is there any other reason for a shock?

Devv said:
PVC is used a lot for new construction here in Texas. When I added on to the house I used copper, mainly because once it's soldered it should last a lifetime. The rest of the house is copper too. But our house is fed using PVC, and all the outdoor stuff is PVC.

Me I'd be surprised if PVC was the culprit, but I can't say for sure.

Jals, can't have enough, and they don't take up much space compared to some pepper varieties.

And if it makes the wife happy I so it's a go. If Momma's not happy..you know the rest. Therefore I live to please :D

Well, I'm not saying that it the cause, but it is easy to eliminate it as the cause. It was interesting that the 3 burned leaves on the rocoto were right up next to the PVC pipe. 

Also note that  believe that creme colored domestic pvc water piping is different than the white and green waste piping. Next time you head to HD, check the prices. Domestic water piping is more expensive. 

HillBilly Jeff said:
They have a really wide range of heat levels on the same plant.  One you won't detect any heat and the next one will make you drool.

I've noticed this about jalapenos in general. I had one plant that would yield batches of peppers that would make me cringe, and others without heat at all. These were just run of the mill early jalapenos too.

HillBilly Jeff said:
They have a really wide range of heat levels on the same plant.  One you won't detect any heat and the next one will make you drool.

Very interesting. I have not heard that before. I'll keep an eye out for that later this fall.

maximumcapsicum said:

I've noticed this about jalapenos in general. I had one plant that would yield batches of peppers that would make me cringe, and others without heat at all. These were just run of the mill early jalapenos too.

Seems to be that way in most any pepper. Heat can vary wildly, but I would assume that peppers from the same plant would be similar. It will be interesting if H Jeff is right. Just when you think you have a mild one...BAM.

GA Growhead said:
The purple jalapeños are so sweet when ripe! Yummy!

Cool, I'll be sure to let a bunch get red before I pick them.

LawrenceJ2007 said:
Nice looking plants man! Odd only a few leaves fell off? Do you think maybe there could be something running down the pipes hitting the leaves? Maybe a leak from a drain that could be causing it?

The pipe was one that I made a NFT system out of to grow lettuce. I took it out last night so we'll see in a month or so if the problem is solved.

That is really odd about the leaf drop. Roots look great... so hopefully the nutrient change will help things.

How is the lighting set up? is the side dropping leaves getting too much/little light? Or is there a fan/heater or anything else environmentally distinct about that one side?  

Jeff that's an interesting topic. I have to bet against the pvc causing the leaf issues. A damaged root system can cause havoc with one side of a plant. It's odd that the worst part of the leaves are the edging and the new growth is unaffected. Any chance of a chemical overdose ?

Back