• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

My wife had an interview after work for a evening volunteer position she wanted. She requested gumbo for the celebratory dinner afterwards. 

Since I wasn't rushed, I had plenty of time to get the roux nice and dark. 
20140210_180043.jpg

That there is a ton of food, but we polished off just about every bit. --note to self, make sure to hit the gym this week to make up for the damage done Monday night. 

Chicken gumbo left, vegetarian version right. 

20140210_185623.jpg

Every time I use my AJ's scorpion puree, I am amazed on how hot this $hit is. It doesn't take much more than a 1/4-1/2 tsp at most to make this whole bowl hot enough that you need a beer to eat it. Who am I kidding. I've been working on beer consumption since I started making the gumbo, the AJ puree just added extra motivation. 

maximumcapsicum said:
Wow nice gumbo! I keep tellin myself in gonna make a batch but haven't gotten around to it yet. And it looks like atlanta is shutting down again.

Love the high tech cloner. That's the kind I used too!

That is the perfect excuse. It takes a few hours the 1st time. I can usually pull it off in 90 minutes now, but I have been making the same recipe for several years. 

And for something totally different, plant pics. 

1st paper lantern habanero is finally ripe. I'll leave it on for a little longer to see if it will get a darker red. 
20140210_204027.jpg

Some round 1 updates from the few strains started in  Novemberish. 

Jigsaw. I need to post this in Dale's glog. It is getting really big. It has split a few times . I hope the root pouch keeps it from getting root bound. It doesn't get more than the 1 gallon pouch until plant out. 
20140210_204102.jpg

Naga Morarch
20140210_204133.jpg
\

Red rocoto that lost it's lower leaves for some strange reason. 
20140210_204157.jpg

Soil Indian Carbon. Not as big as the hydros, but this one is the biggest I have from round one. The hydro one is stunted, and while healthy looking isn't growing near as fast as the others. 
20140210_204254.jpg

Love the update Jeff! Plants are looking so strong. I bet the yields are fantastic come plantout. 

No gumbo for us... the store was literally out of meat. My wife has some soup in the slow cooker though, so we won't starve. Plenty of pepper powders to toss into it thanks to the generous folks at THP.

Ran outta likes here trying to catch up.

Rocketman said potatoes will soak up extra salt, worth a try for the sauerkraut.

Congrats on the ripe pod, woot!

Plants are looking good!

keep doing what you're doing!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Love the gumbo pics.  I am trying to eat lighter as winter has been bad on my mid section this year.

Nice plants and pods.  Are those lanterns a little short and stocky?
Winter is hard on all of our diets. Especially if you spend some time in that sandwich of the month thread. Good stuff over there.

Yep, the PL is short and stocky. Guess it is just a consequence of growing in the winter.

Penny said:
Plants and gumbo look amazing!!
Thanks Penny.

beerbreath81 said:
gumbo looks really good nice work, plants are gettting big!
Thanks for stopping in BB.

Nick08* said:
WOOOOO!!! A ripe pod already!  :dance:
Thanks Nick. No tomatoes like you though. :mope:

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the update Jeff! Plants are looking so strong. I bet the yields are fantastic come plantout. 

No gumbo for us... the store was literally out of meat. My wife has some soup in the slow cooker though, so we won't starve. Plenty of pepper powders to toss into it thanks to the generous folks at THP.

Thanks.  I can't help you with the meat, but if you run low on pepper powder before your peppers are ripe, I can hook you up. Especially if you like Trinidad Scorpions. Got oodles and oodles of them in the freezer still.
Devv said:
Ran outta likes here trying to catch up.

Rocketman said potatoes will soak up extra salt, worth a try for the sauerkraut.

Congrats on the ripe pod, woot!

Plants are looking good!

keep doing what you're doing!
Thanks for stopping in Scott. I can always tell when you check in with some likes. Interesting comment about potatoes. Have to give it a try.

I peeked in on the peppers last night. Nothing interesting to report, but on the food side, I was busy last night getting ready for a Friday night Panini sandwiches (I had to get a head start since I am busy for the next couple of evenings.

Chibatta
20140211_205828.jpg

20140211_221555.jpg

Carmalizing some onions.
20140211_211238.jpg

Marinading the steak.
20140211_205911.jpg

To be continued....

Man another great dinner project!

Sauces, gumbos, and salsas I am all about. All this baking is a little advanced for me though. Sometimes I just wish I could get rotis done right and easy for some authentic, light Indian meals. Future projects!

Careful what you offer... I may take you up on tray powder soon...

maximumcapsicum said:
Man another great dinner project!

Sauces, gumbos, and salsas I am all about. All this baking is a little advanced for me though. Sometimes I just wish I could get rotis done right and easy for some authentic, light Indian meals. Future projects!

Careful what you offer... I may take you up on tray powder soon...

Something will be headed your way tomorrow or Friday, be on the look out for it. 

HillBilly Jeff said:
Dinner is looking AWESOME!!!!!!

Thanks Jeff. 

Had time to do a little more prep work. 

Seared the steak then baked it until medium well. 
20140212_200214.jpg

Made some more bread for the one in my family that doesn't like crusty ciabatta (read wife).
20140212_204655.jpg

Got the new paninni maker out. 
20140212_194745.jpg

Now that all of that is out of the way, time to check on the sprouts .

20140212_181734.jpg

A little concerned about the hatch type chilis. Only 3 out of 8 so far after 12 days or so. I'm not giving them much more time until I replant a few. I'm just about out of hope for the Bishops Crown too. This is the second planting and none have germinated. 

Awesome man! Will be on the lookout! Thanks to all the THP love my mailbox is going to smell delicious.

Sucks about the stubborn sprouts. Got a couple of those myself. It happens. Actually you're bailing me out on my lazy seeds.

Keep on growin man

The OB report and foodie pics are looking stellar Jeff. The mottling on the Manzano leaves you posted a little while back is a little worrisome... how warm do you keep your first round plants? Have you tested the soil pH lately? If you can rule out cool growing conditions and mild chlorosis due to elevated pH levels, you might want to check out information on Pepper Mild Mottle Virus and isolate the plant until you know for sure if it has it or not. Shane's plants had it in 2012, and he found it was spread from plant to plant by mites and aphids.

maximumcapsicum said:
Awesome man! Will be on the lookout! Thanks to all the THP love my mailbox is going to smell delicious.

Sucks about the stubborn sprouts. Got a couple of those myself. It happens. Actually you're bailing me out on my lazy seeds.

Keep on growin man

Dropped something in the mail for you at lunch today. Might not get there for a while, you guys really shut down when it gets under 40 degrees. :rofl:

We'll see what happens with the lazy seeds. The only one that really annoys me is the Bishop's crown. I had plans for those this fall.

JJJessee said:
Dinner looks delicious! What shortening did you brown those onions in? They look incerdible.
No shortening.  Although that would taste fantastic. :D These were just caramelized in a little olive oil over low heat for about an hour.

stickman said:
The OB report and foodie pics are looking stellar Jeff. The mottling on the Manzano leaves you posted a little while back is a little worrisome... how warm do you keep your first round plants? Have you tested the soil pH lately? If you can rule out cool growing conditions and mild chlorosis due to elevated pH levels, you might want to check out information on Pepper Mild Mottle Virus and isolate the plant until you know for sure if it has it or not. Shane's plants had it in 2012, and he found it was spread from plant to plant by mites and aphids.

Thanks for the comments Rick. I agree with your assessment of the mottling of the leaves and a virus was one of my main concerns at first, but, although I haven't ruled it out completely, I don't think it appears to be the case. A virus would attack the whole plant, right? This was very specifically a few leaves, all on one side of the plant and it happened to two different plants at two different times, but they both were right next to the green pvc pipe when it happened. I've moved both plants and they both seem happy and healthy for now.

Jeff H said:
Thanks for the comments Rick. I agree with your assessment of the mottling of the leaves and a virus was one of my main concerns at first, but, although I haven't ruled it out completely, I don't think it appears to be the case. A virus would attack the whole plant, right? This was very specifically a few leaves, all on one side of the plant and it happened to two different plants at two different times, but they both were right next to the green pvc pipe when it happened. I've moved both plants and they both seem happy and healthy for now.

I couldn't say Jeff, I'm just going from what I remember Shane (stc3248) posted at the time. Contacting him to ask how it played out at the time might be a better idea. I know that last year he put a lot of effort into sterilizing the soil where the infected plants had been put, and he said himself that he wished he'd been quicker on the uptake so more plants could have avoided infection. I hope it turns out to be something minor...

Another thing that occurs to me is to ask how you circulate the nutrient solution. It's kind of a long shot, but I wonder if the pump might be leaking lubricant or somehow ionizing the solution it's circulating. I've seen some strange growth on tree limbs that are too close to high-tension lines. If the bearings (or bushings) are worn enough, they might also be heating up the solution as it gets pumped. That at least should be easy to check. I'm not saying it's what's wrong exactly, just wondering out loud how to eliminate what's not wrong to try to think of what may be...

Oh man, guess who's going to be rushing the mailbox every day?

Sounds great bud.

Really hope there isn't a city's floating around your hydrobuds. Maybe just an ionization issue like Rick suggested. Will be sending good vibes your way!

stickman said:

I couldn't say Jeff, I'm just going from what I remember Shane (stc3248) posted at the time. Contacting him to ask how it played out at the time might be a better idea. I know that last year he put a lot of effort into sterilizing the soil where the infected plants had been put, and he said himself that he wished he'd been quicker on the uptake so more plants could have avoided infection. I hope it turns out to be something minor...

Another thing that occurs to me is to ask how you circulate the nutrient solution. It's kind of a long shot, but I wonder if the pump might be leaking lubricant or somehow ionizing the solution it's circulating. I've seen some strange growth on tree limbs that are too close to high-tension lines. If the bearings (or bushings) are worn enough, they might also be heating up the solution as it gets pumped. That at least should be easy to check. I'm not saying it's what's wrong exactly, just wondering out loud how to eliminate what's not wrong to try to think of what may be...

maximumcapsicum said:
Oh man, guess who's going to be rushing the mailbox every day?

Sounds great bud.

Really hope there isn't a city's floating around your hydrobuds. Maybe just an ionization issue like Rick suggested. Will be sending good vibes your way!

Appreciate the advice and good vibes from both of you. Went down and checked again tonight and I do have some minor mottling on some older leaves, but nothing like the necrotic photo from last week. These look more like a nutrient imbalance that is starting to correct itself. I had a feeling that 8 pepper plants and 8-10 other herbs and lettuce were taking it's toll on the 9 gallon reservoir. (that was another reason I removed the PVC tubes). So far, new growth looks nice and healthy, but I am definitely keeping my eye on things .

Back at the home front, I spent some time putting together a realistic plan for the gardens as it sits now and I think I concluded that I am out of my mind. My wife generally lets me do whatever I want, but I don't think she is going to buy 76 hots, superhots, and medium and then another dozen sweets. I'll have to break it to her gently and probably buy some chocolate for her. Sorry Adam, I had to come down from the 20 jalapenos. Thinking only 18. 

I did a little chart in google docs, but I'll be darned if I can get it to paste as a picture. Just click the link and it should auto download. 
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1u1__U0QLLF0aDuzwn-hG-MBwTwpUVnOHAc4QHrRPsyM/pub?w=1904&h=1524 

Back