• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Devv said:
Nice OW's!

You need more room!...don't we all!
Yes, it is getting a bit crowded isn't it.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Nice looking OWs....We might be over the hump on winter this coming weekend.  I hope so anyways.  

well, we have to get to next weekend 1st. 7" more snow forecasted for tonight.

Did some potting up yesterday.

My biggest reaper
20140301_104234.jpg

Red Rocoto
20140301_104315.jpg

Another Reaper
20140301_104328.jpg

Paper Lantern.
20140301_104339.jpg

Just a note about the perlite in these pots. I have been doing some reading on the 420 forum about how the expanded volcanic glass (perlite) is deadly to fungus gnats since it cuts them up. Every pot-up from now on gets 1/2" of perlite on top of the Happy frog soil. Glad I bought so much. I'll just knock it off and mix it in the garden soil when it is time to put plants in the dirt .

The gnats won't bother plants this big, but if they get in the soil, it will be a breeding ground for them to attack the baby plants. I don't want to let that happen.
I saw one or two fungus gnats yesterday and none so far today. I hope to keep it that way.

Plants are really getting up there in size Jeff!

Interesting about the perlite, diatomatcious earth is supposed be good too.

Devv said:
Plants are really getting up there in size Jeff!

Interesting about the perlite, diatomatcious earth is supposed be good too.

Thanks Scott.

Yeah, sand too, but the perlite was down in the basement already and the sand is outside under the deck so this was easier. We'll see if it works. I've been checking all day and no gnats flying at all today. Several in the traps from the last few days.

Shot of the big ones.
20140302_155024.jpg

Annuums. milds and sweets.
20140302_155036.jpg

Various White Bhuts, MOA, the big Annuum is a giant jalapeno and some other peppers. The one scrawny jalapeno in the center is either a victim of the fungus gnats, or something else happened. Not much hope for that one.
20140302_155053.jpg

Tomatoes, tomatillo, jalapenos and others
20140302_155104.jpg

Hoot!! purple cayenne from Hillbilly Jeff.
20140302_155140.jpg

Growdown plant. Still only one.
20140302_155155.jpg

Potted up my hydro Burpee Big Boy too. It was about impossible to get the darn thing out of the 1 gallon grow bag. So many roots growing into the bag. This thing ought to be a monster come spring.

20140302_184959.jpg

The tip about using perlite on top of the pots to deal with the Fungus Gnats is gonna be incredibly useful Jeff, thanks for sharing! Nice forkage in the Pubes and the OW plants are beasts! Good on ya!

Everything looking good Jeff, Will you be putting those OW in the ground or container grow them? That mater is getting really big, have you been trimming it? I would think that it would wanna start producing fruit but didnt see any.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Glad those popped for you.  If we can just make it to the weekend lol.
Thanks again Jeff. Warmer weather is only 24 hours away now.

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the update Jeff! Interesting that the perlite stops the gnats. Will keep that in mind! Keep on growin!

stickman said:
The tip about using perlite on top of the pots to deal with the Fungus Gnats is gonna be incredibly useful Jeff, thanks for sharing! Nice forkage in the Pubes and the OW plants are beasts! Good on ya!
Sharing what you learned is what this site is about. Glad to spread the word. So far, I am 3 days fungus gnat free. :pray:

Penny said:
Looks great!! :)
thanks for stopping in Penny.

beerbreath81 said:
Everything looking good Jeff, Will you be putting those OW in the ground or container grow them? That mater is getting really big, have you been trimming it? I would think that it would wanna start producing fruit but didnt see any.

Depends on what they are. All annuums go in the ground and the tabascos will too down in the garden. Most likely, pubes and chinense will stay in pots around the patio. Any don't forget the hydro o/w; they will go in the drip system in 5 gallon buckets.

Aged manure. Where would I go about finding this little item in suberbia? Am I stuck going to HD and picking up 1cu.ft bags or are there stores that I can pick up a yard or so at a time in the truck?

Need to start finding a source or I will be paying through the nose at HD.

Does $32.00 a yard seem high for bulk pricing? Seems high to me considering HD is selling 1 cu.ft. bags for less than $1.50 a bag.

http://www.hafners.com/cincinnati-landscaping-supplies/compost.html

I usually get mine from the TSC store, but that is by the bag as well.  Other than that, I just pick it up around the farm lol.

You might be able to get a load on your truck from the local dairy farm or other farm operation.  Light layer tilled in and then have some in a pile, if you have the room, for next year.

As a kid we used to have to clean the sheep barn out every spring and that got put in a manure spreader and put right on the garden.  Seemed to work out great.

Good luck.

Yeah I had no luck with manure when I had an in ground garden either. Ended up buying it from HD. Community plot now so I got to use what they supply. Heard farm outlets were the way to go. Good luck, and let us know what you find!

HillBilly Jeff said:
I usually get mine from the TSC store, but that is by the bag as well.  Other than that, I just pick it up around the farm lol.

You might be able to get a load on your truck from the local dairy farm or other farm operation.  Light layer tilled in and then have some in a pile, if you have the room, for next year.

As a kid we used to have to clean the sheep barn out every spring and that got put in a manure spreader and put right on the garden.  Seemed to work out great.

Good luck.

There is a TSC about 3 minutes from my office. (Funny, I live in the suburbs but my office is out in the rural part of the city.)
I'll check and see what they have. Their prices on peat were not better than HD.

maximumcapsicum said:
Yeah I had no luck with manure when I had an in ground garden either. Ended up buying it from HD. Community plot now so I got to use what they supply. Heard farm outlets were the way to go. Good luck, and let us know what you find!

That is what it looks like. The one link I posted is a little high for bulk manure, but still cheaper than HD by a little bit. I just have to weigh cleaning all that crap out of my truck with the few dollars I would save. That,  and a cu.yd of manure is quite a bit for the gardens I plan on fertilizing, but as Jeff pointed out, I can keep it for next year in a pile.
Mardi Gras foodie pics posted too. Since there is nothing new and interesting to post on the plants, here is good food. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/45376-jeffs-flog/?p=960544

Jeff,

The 32 bucks is the going rate around here for pasturized manure, just do the math and see what comes up cheapest. This time of year while it's winter and dry the 2 cows we have here drop piles that stay together well, I need to go and pick em up and add them to the leaves. I have access to horse manure, but haven't had the time. I used to drive the tractor 7 miles into town and load up the 10' trailer twice in one day. Just too much work as the trailer is too small to use the bucket to pull the manure off, it has to be done by hand. I need an 18' trailer to drive the tractor on and just scrape it off. One of these days...

I don't know about where your live, but here we can get free, well composted mulch made from a chipper. I scored 24 yds early in the fall. Won't hurt to call the county and ask.

IDK if you have any chicken or dairy operations close by, but don't forget the folks that ride horses either. Horse and chicken manure are both high in ammonia when they're still "green", but should be OK if applied sparingly as a side dressing the first  year. If you do like Hillbilly Jeff says and pile it on the side for a season, it should be good and mellow for next year.

If you live in a town that has a composting operation maintained by the taxpayers, you might be able to get it for little or no money like Devv did.

Cheers!

Devv said:
Jeff,

The 32 bucks is the going rate around here for pasturized manure, just do the math and see what comes up cheapest. This time of year while it's winter and dry the 2 cows we have here drop piles that stay together well, I need to go and pick em up and add them to the leaves. I have access to horse manure, but haven't had the time. I used to drive the tractor 7 miles into town and load up the 10' trailer twice in one day. Just too much work as the trailer is too small to use the bucket to pull the manure off, it has to be done by hand. I need an 18' trailer to drive the tractor on and just scrape it off. One of these days...

I don't know about where your live, but here we can get free, well composted mulch made from a chipper. I scored 24 yds early in the fall. Won't hurt to call the county and ask.
Well, no cows or horses here so I am stuck buying it. Probably just buckle down and buy the yard for $32.00. What is the point of having a big truck if you don't use it. Probably more than I need, but the flower beds would like it too I'm sure.

stickman said:
IDK if you have any chicken or dairy operations close by, but don't forget the folks that ride horses either. Horse and chicken manure are both high in ammonia when they're still "green", but should be OK if applied sparingly as a side dressing the first  year. If you do like Hillbilly Jeff says and pile it on the side for a season, it should be good and mellow for next year.

If you live in a town that has a composting operation maintained by the taxpayers, you might be able to get it for little or no money like Devv did.

Cheers!

I don't know about keeping fresh compost in my subdivision for a year. Neighbors probably would be too happy about that, but I like the idea of seeing if there is a community composting operation. I'll have to look into that.

GA Growhead said:
Check Craigslist too!

Good Idea. I didn't think about that.
On the plant front, I had to replant a bunch of jalapenos. Not sure what happened, (probably over watered) but more than a few just started to turn yellow and failed to thrive. Eventually withered to nothing. I caught it early enough and now have a dozen new sprouts going. This brings my jalapeno count to 24 plants. 6 each of Giant, Jalumondo, purple and tam. I don't have enough room for that many so my SIL will be the lucky recipient of some of them.

The failing to thrive issue seems to be limited to one specific group of starts consisting mostly of jalapenos and baacctums. My guess is that I put them in 3.5" pots too soon and their roots couldn't absorb the water from bottom watering and they drowned. Oh well, lesson learned.

Tough news about the jals. Sounds like a solid recovery plan though. I just accidentally watered a hab with a dish soap mix for killing aphids. Rinsed it thoroughly but that's gonna be a shock. Hopefully it'll pull through. Got to start getting more sleep.

Right after dinner...

20140307_180937.jpg

Did some potting up out of the 72 cell pepper tray.

All annuums
20140307_193019.jpg

I started my replant of jalapenos in a couple of 3.5" pots, but after transplanting a dozen roma tomatoes, I freed up a couple of starting containers for the jalapenos.

20140307_200318.jpg

Now we have a problem. I seem to be out of room and out of 3.5" pots... :tear:  There is 3 more flats of 3.5" pots needed to finish emptying out the 72 cell starter and I have another flat of tomatoes and tomatillos too, but the grow room is full.

It was simply a matter of time because the math dictated that I never had enough room to begin with. What to do, what to do. :think:

Back