• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

New plots looking really nice, can't wait to see them all done and loaded with plants. Those Rocotos are sprawling beasts anyway...so maybe a bit more so now, but probably not much more than normal. I grew lanterns a couple years ago...some of the best tasting smoked powder I've created came from them. Very nice pod, perfect heat level...hot enough for anyone, but won't knock you over either.  Hope winter finally breaks for you guys once and for all soon brother...

Nice and tidy layout, Jeff.
You're building some good sweat equity. :D
I'm guessing the long beds are 4x16'. The tight spacing will help keep the weeds at bay and the ground cooler and damper, You may also want to feed them after they take hold and start blooming -especially this fist year while the soil is being "knitted" together by the microbes.

Raised beds are looking great Jeff!

I've only had time to make one for the Asparagus and used a 3/8" wood bit and 3/8" rebar to pin things together. Good thing I did, the dogs were on top of it the next morning...

Plants are looking great! It will be dirt day before you know it!

stc3248 said:
New plots looking really nice, can't wait to see them all done and loaded with plants. Those Rocotos are sprawling beasts anyway...so maybe a bit more so now, but probably not much more than normal. I grew lanterns a couple years ago...some of the best tasting smoked powder I've created came from them. Very nice pod, perfect heat level...hot enough for anyone, but won't knock you over either.  Hope winter finally breaks for you guys once and for all soon brother...
Thanks for stopping in Shane. My monzanos didn't do all that well last year. I'm hoping for a better year with both monzanos and rocotos. I have a spot picked out that is partially shaded by a tree, so I am hoping for the best.

Hmmm. smoked paper lanterns. You know, I think I have a gallon bag still in the freezer. I think I have an idea. Hab heat powder is really the best. Hot enough to get your attention and let you know it is pretty spicy, but not hot enough to hurt you.

JJJessee said:
Nice and tidy layout, Jeff.
You're building some good sweat equity. :D
I'm guessing the long beds are 4x16'. The tight spacing will help keep the weeds at bay and the ground cooler and damper, You may also want to feed them after they take hold and start blooming -especially this fist year while the soil is being "knitted" together by the microbes.
The two main beds are 4x20 and the top bed has all annuums at 16" spacing. I do plan on attempting a "no till" garden to keep those microbes going. We'll see how well that works. Should be fairly maintenance free after this year.

HillBilly Jeff said:
You get any snow Jeff?  We got a nice blanket of about 5 inches last night.  Should melt away by the weekend.
Just flurries at the moment. We are expecting about an inch tonight.

Devv said:
Raised beds are looking great Jeff!

I've only had time to make one for the Asparagus and used a 3/8" wood bit and 3/8" rebar to pin things together. Good thing I did, the dogs were on top of it the next morning...

Plants are looking great! It will be dirt day before you know it!

1/2" drill bit and 1/2" steel rods here. I'm project manager of a steel fabricating shop. getting excess 1/2" round is easy. Having the 16" auger bit has come in handy more than once.
maximumcapsicum said:
Yeah I know a bunch of people aren't huge fans of the golden habs. I grew carribbean reds last year, so it's really the only hab I have experience with. And some bonnets that I think were actually carribbean reds. I love them and they got me started in all this, but good to know on the paper lantern. There is so much to learn here.

Thanks Jeff!

Caribbean habs have a good flavor and only a faint 'hab' flavor that I dislike. Orange are bad but chocolate are the worst for me.
Blister said:
I'm not a hab fan either. Just something about the taste that I don't care for. Your grow is looking great though!

Neil

You're in good company Blister. Thanks for stopping in.

Finished potting up the tomatoes last night and used up the last of my 3.5" pots. Good thing my 4" rounds and new trays from flea bay are being delivered today. I still have 40+ tomatillo, annuums and sweets to pot up (and no room to put them anywhere).

20140314_212731.jpg

Romas, Big boy and Bite right. Nothing real interesting this year. Testing to see how they like the raised beds. If they do well, I'll grow more varieties next year.

Good weather today. Back to work.

20140315_103318.jpg

Getting the lower garden ready. Lots of good stuff there. 
20140315_105407.jpg

Okay, everything is in the lower garden. Ready to rota-till (on the next decent day).
20140315_110334.jpg

After a couple more hours, all 3 beds are done and ready for the rota-tiller.
20140315_125333.jpg

Here is where the hydro plants will go in the spring.

20140315_125341.jpg

The raised bed garden was about $200.00 total. Not too bad at all.
$100 in landscape timbers
$50 for the manure, mushroom compost
$30 for the peat
$20 for the perlite.
Free- all the leaf and shredded pepper plant compost from last year.

After a bump  have some plant pics. It was pot up day and it was a good thing my new pots and trays showed up. I needed them.
20140315_133418.jpg

GA Growhead said:
Raised beds are sweet!

Thanks Jason, lot of work, but should be worth it.

maximumcapsicum said:
Love your space Jeff! Especially the outdoor hydro setup. Can't wait to see it all in action. How long till plantout?

If you are curious about the hydro set up in action, it is in my glog last year. Plant out is still a ways off up here. Typically Mother's day, but earlier if I get motivated and build hoop houses :D :D We'll see how quick the grow room shrinks through April.

Devv said:
Lotta work there!

Looks great!

Yeah, gardening isn't cheap ;)

I think of it as an investment. ;)

45 plants potted up today. I'm getting tired.

All annuums. some sweet and some hot.
20140315_164026.jpg

Tam and Purple Jals and 6 tomatillos.
20140315_163946.jpg

Cayenne, and thick cayenne, poblanos and a few others.
20140315_163855.jpg

I kicked out all of the big plants. This is how the grow room looks. 118 peppers (sweet and hot), tomatoes, and tomatillo.
20140315_164233.jpg
20140315_164227.jpg
20140315_164219.jpg

Not a real good panoramic, but you get the idea.

Back behind the hydros is another tray of peppers. Annuums, Bacs mostly.
20140315_164314.jpg

Under the top shelf, we have all of the onions and 20 or more little guys that need to get a little bigger before they get potted up.

20140315_164243.jpg

Ever had really spicy Ramen? Try it some saturday with broccoli and chopped up chicken when you are working and need some food to keep you going. 1/4 tsp of bhut jolakai is all it takes. HOT. :fireball:
20140314_115600.jpg

Need a bump. Have picks of the plants  kicked out of the grow room.

Monzano o/w. Too big now for the grow room.
20140315_145956.jpg
wweirdest shaped monzanos I've ever seen. They won't ripen any time soon since they are in dimmer light now.
20140315_150008.jpg

Paper Lantern o/w

20140315_150057.jpg

Note to self. The o/w plants grow a heck of a lot faster under a big MH light then they do in a west facing window where the rest of my o/w plants are. Maybe we'll keep them out of the grow room next winter. :rolleyes:

Looks Great!
You about have your beds whipped into shape already with nice looking timbers to boot.
Just guessing, you probably have better native soil texture than what I'm use to. It still may take a while for the soil and amendments to mesh together for maximum performance.
I should have feed more quick type organic nutes, like seaweed teas, fish juice, and guanos to the  new beds of plants last year.

Every time I stop by I always marvel at your setup. Love your range of lights/grow media. Do you ever have any luck ripening pods under the cfls?

Ramen looks good. Would definitely keep me going! Can't wait to see the plants in the dirt!

I agree, $$$ spent gardening is an investment. I know we save a ton by not having to by so much produce from the store.

The plants are looking good! You'll be ready this spring!

Plus I believe the gardening gives us a better quality vegetable as well.  I know how old my green beans are when I can them.  Not so much when you go buy a bushel somewhere.  Some of the quality I have seen at farm stands wouldn't even make it to the house here.

OW are looking awesome.

Back