• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

JJJessee said:
Looks Great!
You about have your beds whipped into shape already with nice looking timbers to boot.
Just guessing, you probably have better native soil texture than what I'm use to. It still may take a while for the soil and amendments to mesh together for maximum performance.
I should have feed more quick type organic nutes, like seaweed teas, fish juice, and guanos to the  new beds of plants last year.
Our native soil is mostly clay with a little topsoil on top. Nothing great for sure. I'm guessing I added about 4" of amenities, so once I till it all together, I hope it takes off. Probably will need to feed it this year though.

maximumcapsicum said:
Every time I stop by I always marvel at your setup. Love your range of lights/grow media. Do you ever have any luck ripening pods under the cfls?

Ramen looks good. Would definitely keep me going! Can't wait to see the plants in the dirt!
Adam, the CFLs are just for the baby plants. The main light is a 600wMH bulb, and no, I have no issues with fruit ripening under that bulb.

GA Growhead said:
Your pubescens is more rocoto looking for sure. Maybe they will ripen to red. That would be a cool surprise.
It is an o/w plant though. I know they ripen yellow, but even when the did ripen late last year, they didn't resemble an apple. Maybe some kinda pube cross. We'll see. I'm hoping to get plenty of pods off of this one this year.

Devv said:
I agree, $$$ spent gardening is an investment. I know we save a ton by not having to by so much produce from the store.

The plants are looking good! You'll be ready this spring!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Plus I believe the gardening gives us a better quality vegetable as well.  I know how old my green beans are when I can them.  Not so much when you go buy a bushel somewhere.  Some of the quality I have seen at farm stands wouldn't even make it to the house here.

OW are looking awesome.

I agree. Definitely better quality and saves money.

Did some cooking today to get ready for the week. Breakfast is always better with some English muffins.
20140316_122229.jpg

And we are having fajitas tonight for dinner so we needed some more tortillas.
20140316_115848.jpg

Got hungry while I was making the tortillas so I grabbed a couple, fried up some peppers and onions, chopped up a chipotle in adobo sauce

20140316_114317.jpg

Applied liberal amounts of cheese and cooked on the press.
20140316_114554.jpg

You know your tolerance is getting obnoxiously high when HBD's scorp sauce no longer burns like it used to. I found the bottle in the back of the fridge. It wasn't as hot as I remembered. :confused:
20140316_114829.jpg

That's all for now. Have a good week everyone.

Boy, things here sure move fast Jeff... lol! Love the terraced garden beds you put together, and the babies are looking like they're rarin' to go! Nice that your snow is all gone and the ground is thawed... it'll be another 2-3 weeks until we get there at the current rate, but we'll get there in the end. +1 on soil building efforts... Always leave your soil in better shape than you found it each year and your crops will follow the curve. Cheers!

Quesadilla looks great! I meant to fry up a big sweet pepper I found at the store and forgot. Will have to try again tomorrow.

Looks like plantout got pushed back a little. It's comin though.

Devv said:
Food looks great Jeff!

You need to stop by for a week or so ;)
:D Will do Scott, but it might be a while until I get down your way.

maximumcapsicum said:
Quesadilla looks great! I meant to fry up a big sweet pepper I found at the store and forgot. Will have to try again tomorrow.

Looks like plantout got pushed back a little. It's comin though.
This has been a tough spring for sure. Warmth will be here to stay soon enough.

stickman said:
Boy, things here sure move fast Jeff... lol! Love the terraced garden beds you put together, and the babies are looking like they're rarin' to go! Nice that your snow is all gone and the ground is thawed... it'll be another 2-3 weeks until we get there at the current rate, but we'll get there in the end. +1 on soil building efforts... Always leave your soil in better shape than you found it each year and your crops will follow the curve. Cheers!
Thanks Rick. I'll be following your thoughts of putting the leaves and other yard waste on every fall and hopefully everything will work well. Since I won't do the fresh manure thing, My only real concern is getting enough nitrogen back into the soil every successive year. Thinking maybe growing some comfrey and making comfrey tea every few months but I'm not totally sure yet.

Jeff,

I supplement with an organic urea based product called Hasta Gro, 6-12-6. I use it in half doses as needed, as I always fear of ODing the plants. It's made locally in the next town and is a great product. I added all that heavy soil, and now have a few challenges, careful not to over water. AND where am I nute wise? As I added compost and shredded wood chips too.

Keep it green and good luck!

Jeff H said:
Thanks Rick. I'll be following your thoughts of putting the leaves and other yard waste on every fall and hopefully everything will work well. Since I won't do the fresh manure thing, My only real concern is getting enough nitrogen back into the soil every successive year. Thinking maybe growing some comfrey and making comfrey tea every few months but I'm not totally sure yet.

If you want to avoid the animal manure thing in your garden, you can still improve the Nitrogen by plant means. Some folks till in Alfalfa meal... that's always a good way to add nitrogen to compost piles too. You could also do like Scott and plant "green manure" cover crops that'll add to the humus to the soil as well as fix nitrogen in place and build it up even further. Here in New England the typical mix would be oats and field peas. The oats will scavenge up the available Nitrogen in the soil and hold it until you till them under and they start to break down. The result being no leaching during the winter. They also provide a "scaffold" for the field peas to grow up into the sunlight on, and the nitrogen-fixing bacteria that live in the peas' root nodules will join atmospheric Nitrogen to available Hydrogen to make Ammonia. Comfrey tea is a new one for me... the only thing I've seen it used for is as a poultice for wounds and as feed for sheep.

stickman said:

Comfrey tea is a new one for me... the only thing I've seen it used for is as a poultice for wounds and as feed for sheep.

I've read that that the leaves are high in nitrogen and that you can make a compost tea with it. I'll dig up the article I read and post it later.

Plant update.
MOAs from round 2.
20140319_183227.jpg

Caribbean Reds from round 2
20140319_183144.jpg

White bhuts from round 2
20140319_183108.jpg

Round 2 Reaper
20140319_183024.jpg

Round 2 Monzano
20140319_182903.jpg

and another
20140319_182845.jpg

Round 1 Rocoto
20140319_182921.jpg

Round 1 Naga Morarch hydro
20140319_183414.jpg

Round 1 Jigsaw hydro
20140319_183334.jpg
20140319_183310.jpg

and that is 10.

Looking good Jeff!

Plants have fantastic coloring!

And I too am afraid of hot manure, always better to let it age.

stickman said:
Need a bump Jeff? :)

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the monzano Jeff. Everything is looking nice. Jealous as always. Can't wait till I own some space and can build up some soil longevity. They take care of me pretty well at the community plot though.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Plants are really looking nice...great color.

Devv said:
Looking good Jeff!

Plants have fantastic coloring!

And I too am afraid of hot manure, always better to let it age.

Thanks for all the good vibes guys.

Back to the comfrey conversation. I think if I make my little raised beds into "no till " gardens, I should be able to replenish all the nutrients with the rotting mulch, some ashes from the fireplace, etc. The only thing I have been concerned with is getting enough nitrogen into the soil year after year. (With 6" of mulch on top, it makes it difficult to grow a cover crop in the fall).

I think Comfrey is the ticket. It mines all the nitrogen from deep in the soil and puts it into the leaves of the plant which decompose quickly. You can make tea out of the leaves and spread the spent leaves all over the garden. Will it be enough? Who knows, but I'll give it a try. The link of where to buy it is in PMD's thread in "grow other".

Here is an article I was reading about the uses of comfrey. http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/comfrey-power
I have to cut this update short. The garden has been sitting and drying out for a week now. Time to get the rotor-tiller out there and mix all of the amenities in with the native soil real good. I'll get some pics when everything is blended real good.

Have a good weekend everyone.

I hear ya Jeff, I put my 6 hours into the garden today, and the wife weeded for 2 hours as well.

Read the link on the Comfrey, it has nice beneficial qualities, but seems a bit invasive if planted in your grow area. I've had good luck with clover and rye, but they probably won't serve you well in your climate.

Don't work too hard!

maximumcapsicum said:
Sounds like great progress Jeff! Can't wait to see pics of that beautiful tilled soil!

Happy growin'!

Pics below Adam.

Devv said:
I hear ya Jeff, I put my 6 hours into the garden today, and the wife weeded for 2 hours as well.

Read the link on the Comfrey, it has nice beneficial qualities, but seems a bit invasive if planted in your grow area. I've had good luck with clover and rye, but they probably won't serve you well in your climate.

Don't work too hard!

Yeah, about 6 hours for me too. I'm sore this morning. That rotor-tiller makes you use neck and shoulder muscles you didn't remember you had.

I agree about the comfrey being evasive, that is why it isn't going to be in the garden. I plan on putting a few plants along the fence line and maybe some more in the perennial flower garden.

The raised beds didn't take too long to till, but working that native soil in was a little harder than I thought. Couldn't get it broken down into as small of pieces with ll the roots from the grass.
20140322_113246.jpg

The middle garden didn't have near as much grass so it was better.
20140322_113255.jpg

and top garden
20140322_113303.jpg

20140322_113222.jpg

20140322_113236.jpg

As you can see, there s still a little bit of leaves and other organic matter still to break down, but overall, it is good and rich soil. With all of the grass in it, I decided to cover it for a couple of weeks to kill the grass. The only spare tarp I had wasn't big enough to do it all at once. :rolleyes: That is only, It is still about 7 weeks till pepper plant out. 3 weeks until onion plant out though. Hoot!!
20140322_133230.jpg

Looking good Jeff!

A ton of work but rewarding to put a day in. Funny how hard it is to get a lawn going, then when you want to kill it it keeps growing. Most of our "weeding" is rye coming back even after several passes with the tiller two weeks apart.

Can't wait to see those beds loaded!

Ever get one of those ideas. Hey, I wonder how that would taste?

Happened to me today. True story.

I wonder how home made habanero tortillas taste. Let's find out. :party:

First make the dough. corn flour, water, oil and hab chips.

20140323_145728.jpg

make a tortilla in the press.

20140323_150230.jpg

cut it up and fry in oil until light brown.

20140323_150240.jpg

Bust out the canned salsa I made last fall. Bam. :dance: :dance: :dance:

20140323_151612.jpg

Out of the box thinking here: hmmm I wonder if I can do nachos as well?

Bam!

20140323_152036.jpg

Back