• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Pods on the Jigsaw... nice goin', That's a big bonus! The Habanero totopos looked good too.

I can see that Comfrey would be good as a nitrogen scavenger, but the flip side is that it's such a vigorous grower that it can be quite invasive wherever it's planted. I had a neighbor who planted it on a steeply sloping bank next to their house as an erosion control, and in 3 years it completely covered it, and continued to spread. Mowing slowed the expansion, but didn't stop it. Maybe if you grew it in a raised bed it would be contained inside the frame, but I don't know for sure.

Devv said:
Now that just has to be good!

It was good, but I think I need to cook the tortilla first. Just dropping it in hot oil uncooked meant that it soaked up quite a bit of oil. You can only eat a few before you feel it in your gut.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Like the raised beds, but I like the food better.  I did something similar when I made bread with habanero in it.  Hollowed out the loaf to act as my bowl for my squirrel and dumplings, then used the bread I took out of the middle of the loaf to dip into the dumplings....good stuff.

Love putting pepper flakes in breads and tortillas. better than powder IMHO.

stickman said:
Pods on the Jigsaw... nice goin', That's a big bonus! The Habanero totopos looked good too.

I can see that Comfrey would be good as a nitrogen scavenger, but the flip side is that it's such a vigorous grower that it can be quite invasive wherever it's planted. I had a neighbor who planted it on a steeply sloping bank next to their house as an erosion control, and in 3 years it completely covered it, and continued to spread. Mowing slowed the expansion, but didn't stop it. Maybe if you grew it in a raised bed it would be contained inside the frame, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks Rick, and I learned a new term today. totopo.

Comfrey won't be in a raised bed. I have some space over on the fence line away from these gardens where it will be out of the way and free to grow as big as it wants. If I did want to get rid of it, I can't imagine that a heavy application of Round-up wouldn't take care of it. I've never seen anything survive that.

Beds look great Jeff! How much perlite you got in there? Don't normally see that in garden beds tilled in like that.

Pods are starting! Amazing!

Love the hab chips. Would love to know more about the canned salsa... It by chance on last years glog?

maximumcapsicum said:
Beds look great Jeff! How much perlite you got in there? Don't normally see that in garden beds tilled in like that.

Pods are starting! Amazing!

Love the hab chips. Would love to know more about the canned salsa... It by chance on last years glog?

Not too much perlite Adam. A little more than a cubic foot or so in each bed. I tilled up some native clay soil and wanted perlite as well as compost in there to keep it loose and aerated.

Yes, the salsa should be in last years glog. The pics are dated in Sept 2013, so look towards the end of the glog.

stc3248 said:
Those beds look fantastic...I think, I saw the pics of the home made Habanero Nachos and got stuck and couldn't go back up.

haha. They were good. I had a craving for fried food on Sunday. Even had some fried chicken which I haven't done in a while.

Devv said:
I'm ready to see plants in those beds!

How long do we have to wait?
Me too but we will have to wait 6 weeks minimum. I'll start giving the bigger ones some time in the sun in about 3 weeks, but nothing typically goes in the dirt until Mother's day.

HillBilly Jeff said:
You get some snow today?  Looks like Thursday the warming spell comes back...hopefully for good.

Yes/no. We had some snow showers and fierce wind this afternoon, but it nothing stuck. The ground is warm enough. Yeah, Thursday will be warmer here too.

Fuk this winter. Tired of it.

Wow, things are really cooking' there, Jeff.  The raised beds look like the ticket.  
The terraced  design should look veery cool full of mature plants this summer!

Its kinda like the opposite of Pepper Guru's approach. Screw mother nature. Good old fashioned chemicals can do a pretty darned good job. :D :D :D

Hehehehe so many organophiles rolling in their compost friendly graves :rofl:

Don't get me wrong, I prefer organic, but I play on both sides of the fence.

Follow that with the kimchi. Epic.

On the subject on comfrey, the Bocking type appear to produce sterile seeds, you just order up a root cutting of one of the varieties. Soon you too could be making fermented diaper plant food.

PaulG said:
Wow, things are really cooking' there, Jeff.  The raised beds look like the ticket.  
The terraced  design should look veery cool full of mature plants this summer!

That is my hope Paul. Only problem is that I doubt it will be big enough for what I am planning. I started tilling up another area of the yard because my wife wants some herbs and flowers and I am already thinking about how I am going to get a few pepper plants in that garden too.

miguelovic said:

Hehehehe so many organophiles rolling in their compost friendly graves :rofl:

Don't get me wrong, I prefer organic, but I play on both sides of the fence.

Follow that with the kimchi. Epic.

On the subject on comfrey, the Bocking type appear to produce sterile seeds, you just order up a root cutting of one of the varieties. Soon you too could be making fermented diaper plant food.

Yeah, but if you read the rest of the post you quoted, I am just doing this indoors. Trying to keep things sterile, clean and bug free. Mother nature invaded a little too much last year and I got sick of the bugs fast. This year, I really haven't had issues. Once they get outside, I will be as organic as my limited knowledge allows.

Comfrey should be here in a couple days. I'll stick the root cuttings in some soil and put them under lights for now. Probably too cold to put them outside, even if they are perennials.

On the topic of the indoor grow, it has become painfully obvious to me that I am completely out of room and still have some plants I want to start indoors and quite a few to pot up in bigger pots. What to do, what to do.

Well, just as I was about to give up because I couldn't find a solution, these two T8 light fixtures and 4 6500 bulbs just jumped in the back seat of my truck when I was passing Lowes and said "take me home". Earlier a stack of 5.5" pots and a bag of potting soil also jumped in the truck as I passed the hydro shop so I am good to go and about $90.00 poorer.

20140326_122955.jpg

20140326_123009.jpg

I'll put the plants that are in 5.5" and 1 gallon pots under these two lights and that should free up quite a bit of room under the main light for the little guys. Pics once I get the new area set up, either tonight or tomorrow.

Damn it. I just realized I forgot another timer. Well, I guess they will have to rely on me manually turning them off at night until I make it back to Lowes.

Jeff H said:
Yeah, but if you read the rest of the post you quoted, I am just doing this indoors. Trying to keep things sterile, clean and bug free. Mother nature invaded a little too much last year and I got sick of the bugs fast. This year, I really haven't had issues. Once they get outside, I will be as organic as my limited knowledge allows.

Comfrey should be here in a couple days. I'll stick the root cuttings in some soil and put them under lights for now. Probably too cold to put them outside, even if they are perennials.

Nah it's cool, bit of foolery on my part. I understand the indoors issues, sometimes I want to spray certain people before they come in the house. Nothing like people bringing their problems to you :P

Tonight, potting up into 5.5" pots.

Monzano
20140326_183504.jpg

Monzano #2
20140326_192125.jpg

Reaper
20140326_192425.jpg

White Bhut
20140326_192652.jpg

Jalapeno I started way too early
20140326_192948.jpg

another white bhut
20140326_193343.jpg

Caribbean Red
20140326_193523.jpg

Overflow pepper growing area, done now. 
20140326_181248.jpg

Lights on. The photo was with the same ambient lighting, but the bright lights made the camera dim the entire photo.
20140326_181227.jpg

The 1 gallons plants, new 5.5" pots, onions and tomatoes. I'll rotate them back into the grow room every few days because there is no fan out here.

20140326_200620.jpg

That is 10. Need a bump nd I'll post some more when I have a minute.

Back