• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

PIC 1 said:
Mites are a tough battle, and can cause crop failure if not treated. It's good to see that you've taken measures to get it under control.
I had a few plants lst yr that had issues late in the season. I ended up destroying them...distorted pods, and I didn't want any part in saving the seeds ....lol

That Jigsaw looks like a winner !
I haven't grown those before but have a couple under the coldframe...ready to go.
It's cool to see an OW'ed Red Ghost in the ground. Not too much talk about the "Original Jolokia" lately....I especially like to mix a generous amount of dried Ghost flakes into some good ground chuck....they make the burgers even more special.

Have fun with the plantout.....I'll send you the rain we're getting today. I swear my plants grew overnight.

Yes, they can be devastating. Hate those damn things.

If anyone is wondering what they look like, I found this pic on the web, but this is exactly what I saw under my new elcheapo 60x magnifying glass. The white think in the center at the bottom of the pic.
broadmites.jpg

As far as the original Jolokais go, I really like them. Good flavor and a million scovies is plenty, thank you very much. I do have a single Jigsaw and a couple reapers, but other than that, several varieties of Ghost are the only supers I am growing this year. One small garden will be my "ghost pepper" garden with 7-8  jolokais.

Glad to see it's dirt time Jeff!

Yeah, mites suck. I think I have a few working some young plants. They'll get the treatment in the morning, want to wait for the weather to clear first.

Have a great weekend! And enjoy plant out too!

Yep Jesse. Dirt day. 69 hot peppers in the ground. Almost two dozen that didn't make the cut and will be given to relatives.

The annuum bed.  40 hot annuums in here heat scale from Anaheim to Thai. 100ish onions at the end of the bed.
20140510_110259.jpg

Sweet peppers and tomatoes. They went in the ground earlier this week.
20140510_110306.jpg

A couple of white ghost peppers
20140510_111137.jpg

A couple of MOAs.
20140510_111210.jpg

A couple of Caribbean Reds
20140510_111216.jpg

One of my two reapers
20140510_111201.jpg

Just as I was finishing up my 4 hour stint working outside (there was more to do than just plant peppers) we got a nice soaking rain got about 1/2 hour so that is all the pics I got before it rained.

A few more pics I got yesterday after the rain stopped.

20140510_173022.jpg

Another shot of the annuum bed.

20140510_172826.jpg

Jigsaw left and the two red ghosts right.

20140510_172857.jpg

The pube garden. Monzanos in back and red rocotos in front.

20140510_172950.jpg

Two o/w tabascos on the left. o/w red thai bottom right and a paper lantern top right.

Dirt Day. WOW!

Looking serious Jeff. I love that soil you built. I bet your plants are going to love it too. Going to be fun watching those plants reach for the sky. Keep the pics coming. It's fun when the flowers and pods start rolling in so fast you hit the 10 pic cap too fast to post 'em.

Can't wait to see those beds heat up.

Looking great.  Glad you're in the dirt now.  Hope you're getting some of this glorious rain I am getting.  Storms came in and didn't have a bit of wind to them, but are dropping some nice water.

Congrats and happy dirt day

stickman said:
Right on Jeff! :onfire: Keeping fingers, toes and various other appendages crossed for no more frost... ;)
Thanks Rick. It would be a freak occurrence if we had frost this late in the year in southern Ohio. Mother's day is the traditional plant out day.

maximumcapsicum said:
Dirt Day. WOW!

Looking serious Jeff. I love that soil you built. I bet your plants are going to love it too. Going to be fun watching those plants reach for the sky. Keep the pics coming. It's fun when the flowers and pods start rolling in so fast you hit the 10 pic cap too fast to post 'em.

Can't wait to see those beds heat up.
Thanks for the good vibes Adam. Glad to see your grow doing well even with you out of town. Bet you're glad to be back.

Devv said:
Very nice Jeff!

How's the ten day forecast look?
A little cooler than I would like, but nice overall. We have several days with highs only in the mid 60s and lows in the mid 40s but then it bounces back up where is should be.

Essegi said:
Looks great Jeff!
Thanks Essegi.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Looking great.  Glad you're in the dirt now.  Hope you're getting some of this glorious rain I am getting.  Storms came in and didn't have a bit of wind to them, but are dropping some nice water.

Congrats and happy dirt day

Thanks for stopping in Jeff. Yes, we are getting some of this great rain. We dodged some of the more serious weather, but got a few nice soaking rains. Unfortunately some cooler weather is behind the front. Had a great rain storm last night and it is supposed to rain on and off all day but it is the last warm day for almost a week.

sicman said:
looking good. i love the down hill beds.

Thanks Sic.

SCREW YOU DEER!!!!!!!!

More for tomato protection than pepper protection.

So a bit of history. When I put the raised beds in, my wife wanted a garden for herself so I am building one just to the side of the pepper beds. My mom owns a small landscape company and my wife and mom were talking about some herbs for the garden. Well mom came through and I have 20 different types of lavender, yarrow, catmint.

20140512_172110.jpg

Add this to the common sage and Russian Sage and marigolds already doing guard duty surrounding the gardens and this place is going to stink so much that deer won't get within 1/2 mile of my place. :D
It is like a who's who list of aromatic plants that deer hate.

Love it.

I hope that does the trick for you. I would love to have deer come around here. Been here 25 years and so far I have scored 3.

But I'm sure attitude would change if they were eating my produce!

Devv said:
I hope that does the trick for you. I would love to have deer come around here. Been here 25 years and so far I have scored 3.

But I'm sure attitude would change if they were eating my produce!

Bring your shotgun, pistol or bow up to Ohio then. PLEASE. We have some 700,000 deer here. They are everywhere.
The wife came home after dark tonight. 1st thing she said when she got home was that we had 3 deer in the front yard. (my plants are in the back yard and still safe). I have a tree right in front of the garage that has rutting scars all over it.
We live in a subdivision, not in the country.

Jeff H said:

Bring your shotgun, pistol or bow up to Ohio then. PLEASE. We have some 700,000 deer here. They are everywhere.
The wife came home after dark tonight. 1st thing she said when she got home was that we had 3 deer in the front yard. (my plants are in the back yard and still safe). I have a tree right in front of the garage that has rutting scars all over it.

We live in a subdivision, not in the country.

I'm closer...I'll be right over!!!!  Let me rent a refrigerated truck first. 

HillBilly Jeff said:

I'm closer...I'll be right over!!!!  Let me rent a refrigerated truck first. 
Sounds like a plan!

Evidently there's not enough hunters keeping the numbers down. I hunted on a small 400 acre plot in the late 80's that was loaded with game and surrounded by subdivisions. I saw deer, but they were on super high alert and really hard to score. I drove through the subdivision one evening after a hunt. I saw deer bedded down under pickup trucks in the driveway, the family at the dinner table. There wasn't a shrub, bush or tree in that subdivision the wasn't deer hammered.

I wonder if motion detection lighting would help? Probably just for a short while. But if it turned on AC-DC at vol 10 maybe. Then the neighbors would really love you. :D

Back