• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

Great idea to use companion plantings to keep the Deer at bay... let us know how it works for you this season. If it does the trick I'll be sure to spread the word to folks I know with Deer problems in their yards and gardens. I'm experimenting with companion plantings to repel the 6-legged pests in my garden this year... Deer don't enter into it for us. :)

Can't wait to hear about how the companion plantings work out. I'm really digging the transition from grow room to, as shane put it, that big CFL in the sky. How are the plants holding up after a couple of days Jeff?

HillBilly Jeff said:

I'm closer...I'll be right over!!!!  Let me rent a refrigerated truck first. 

Come on over anytime. Just remember to leave your rifles in IN. Can't use them here. :rolleyes: Pop a scope on that Super Redhawk :D that should do it. ;)

Devv said:
Sounds like a plan!

Evidently there's not enough hunters keeping the numbers down. I hunted on a small 400 acre plot in the late 80's that was loaded with game and surrounded by subdivisions. I saw deer, but they were on super high alert and really hard to score. I drove through the subdivision one evening after a hunt. I saw deer bedded down under pickup trucks in the driveway, the family at the dinner table. There wasn't a shrub, bush or tree in that subdivision the wasn't deer hammered.

I wonder if motion detection lighting would help? Probably just for a short while. But if it turned on AC-DC at vol 10 maybe. Then the neighbors would really love you. :D
I think I read that hunters take about 70,000 every year (10%) in Ohio, not enough IMHO.

AC/DC, you're showing your age Scott. I think they play that on the classic rock stations now. :D Something new to frighten the deer?
JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looking good, mmmm deer yummy!
You're welcome to come too Chris. Your muzzle loader can come too.

stickman said:
Great idea to use companion plantings to keep the Deer at bay... let us know how it works for you this season. If it does the trick I'll be sure to spread the word to folks I know with Deer problems in their yards and gardens. I'm experimenting with companion plantings to repel the 6-legged pests in my garden this year... Deer don't enter into it for us. :)
Thanks Rick. Hoping this does the trick. I don't have energy to put up an 8' tall fence for just the tomatoes and beans, of course, if the deer eat them, I'll be hearing about it from my wife.

maximumcapsicum said:
Can't wait to hear about how the companion plantings work out. I'm really digging the transition from grow room to, as shane put it, that big CFL in the sky. How are the plants holding up after a couple of days Jeff?

Plants are doing well Adam and seem to have adjusted to outdoor life quite well. If the rain holds off tonight, I should get some pictures of them.

Looks great, Jeff. That's a lot to accomplish in a day.
Hope the deer respond to the plant deterrence. 
All I did last year was just cuss 'em after the fact and that did no good at all.
A groundhog may be my  bigger problem actually.
I set up several pairs of red christmas tree ball ornaments, I heard that rodents see a glint on these at night they interpret them as a predator.
Plus I've started seeking out there holes and throwing a few moth balls in.
My garden neighbor also has been shooting the G-hogs and says we're down to one, but he just can't get it. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
How much land do you have access to for hunting deer? I'd love to start traveling to hunt places assuming I can score a tag. :)

995548_10200784017867166_1673470321_n.jpg

HillBilly Jeff said:
I'd bring my bow do to your location.....stealthy pepper protection!!!!

Unfortunately Chris, I live in a subdivision. I can only joke about bringing the guns to deal with the deer. However, Hillbilly Jeff is on to something with the stealth bow.
JJJessee said:
Looks great, Jeff. That's a lot to accomplish in a day.
Hope the deer respond to the plant deterrence. 
All I did last year was just cuss 'em after the fact and that did no good at all.
A groundhog may be my  bigger problem actually.
I set up several pairs of red christmas tree ball ornaments, I heard that rodents see a glint on these at night they interpret them as a predator.
Plus I've started seeking out there holes and throwing a few moth balls in.
My garden neighbor also has been shooting the G-hogs and says we're down to one, but he just can't get it. 
Good luck with your groundhog issue and I'll keep you informed as to how this works out over the course of the year.

Devv said:
Yeah, showing my age ;)

But I do listen to everything but rap and Biber type crap. And I liked that video!

Here's a blast from MY past, saw him in concert 4 years ago, this guy can play!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CStXUNvqMzw

Playing it on a computer does it no justice, got to crank up the stereo to the max!

Yes, Ted can play, but he does more running of the mouth these days than playing good music, quite a few of us (NRA constituents) wish he was not on the board. :rolleyes:

Anyway back to peppers.

It is raining like hell outside so no pepper update today. :tear:

What next. :confused: Oh, yeah. Did I ever mention how I dislike Pawn shops?

Stuff has a way of following me home every time I go to a pawn shop. More than one firearm has inadvertently followed me home, today something different.

May I introduce my new Fender Blacktop.......

20140514_201933.jpg
20140514_201941.jpg
20140514_201953.jpg

Nice Floyd Rose on this one. Sounds good with the humbuckers.

I'm rusty as hell since I only recently picked up the guitar again recently after a couple of decades of not playing.

Here is another song for you from back in the day. Was playing a little of this tonight. Very little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtLvlaGJJEU

HillBilly Jeff said:
You better run for the hills......

Nice . One of my all time favorite bands. Careful in those hills though, they can get you in the flash of the blade.

stickman said:
So you like to bang your head, eh Jeff? ;)  I'm probably a little older than you... back in the day I listened to a lot of Rush, Blue Oyster Cult and Boston. The Clash, Ska or Reggae if I was in a funky mood. :P

Wow, you must be as old as Scott. ;)  :D ;) You guys make 40 feel young. :D

Speaking of phrases like "bang your head"; I was at a middle school orchestra concert a couple days ago (my son plays a mean violin)  and the school Principal starts giving a speech about "Rocking out" tonight. They played orchestra adaptations of Smoke on the Water and some Beatles stuff. Not exactly Rocking out but the kids did sound great.

Definitely watching this. I've got a family of deer that like to mangle my plants from time to time. Not nearly as much of an issue as the super bunnies that have been eating everything (including my freaking marigolds), but they still do damage.

I'm curious about the catmint, I almost bought some, but I have bird feeders near my garden and I'm pretty sure there's at least one outdoor cat in the area. No need to attract more cats.

All pepper and deer"slayer" companion aside, is that an 80's Strat, Jeff? I had a green (yucko color but so ugly, cute) '68 Mosrite w/Moseley bridge. Took off tremolo as would never stay in tune using it--doing mostly psychedelic stuff on first album in '79. (Disco who?) Guy I sold it to after buying an older Tele put a FR bridge and I kicked myself for selling/trading it, when I could've just switched out bridges and "lo"s.

No, Jeff . . . 40's not that young; it's just not as seasoned or as vintage as some of us. ;) And sadly, y'poor kids missed the greatest eras in music . . . "Careful with that axe, Eugene" ;) Hey, since I'm a bassist, find a drummer on here, we could stick some jams in "the cloud." (My nephew talks this stuff and I just wonder what happened to getting together in somebody's garage or basement--see "Basement Tapes"--and playing?) Really glad to see that you play!!

Good luck with the deer given measures taken. We kill them and eat them; I'd take Burgbilly Jeff up on the bow, man!

annie57 said:
All pepper and deer"slayer" companion aside, is that an 80's Strat, Jeff? I had a green (yucko color but so ugly, cute) '68 Mosrite w/Moseley bridge. Took off tremolo as would never stay in tune using it--doing mostly psychedelic stuff on first album in '79. (Disco who?) Guy I sold it to after buying an older Tele put a FR bridge and I kicked myself for selling/trading it, when I could've just switched out bridges and "lo"s.

No, Jeff . . . 40's not that young; it's just not as seasoned or as vintage as some of us. ;) And sadly, y'poor kids missed the greatest eras in music . . . "Careful with that axe, Eugene" ;) Hey, since I'm a bassist, find a drummer on here, we could stick some jams in "the cloud." (My nephew talks this stuff and I just wonder what happened to getting together in somebody's garage or basement--see "Basement Tapes"--and playing?) Really glad to see that you play!!

Good luck with the deer given measures taken. We kill them and eat them; I'd take Burgbilly Jeff up on the bow, man!

Thanks for stopping in Annie. It is a newer Strat called the Blacktop. They come with double humbuckers instead of the single coil strat pickups and this one has a Floyd Rose tremlo system so it will stay in tune. Here is a Fender Link. I never would buy a Strat before because I didn't like those two features. Nice guitar for the list price and really nice at pawn shop prices.

There are a couple drummers around. Sicman is one for sure, but I have about 20 years of rust to knock off of my abilities before I will play anything publicly. ;)

Congrats on your new guitar!

One of the first things I want after I retire is a guitar, no time now, but hoping there is then ;)  And hoping I can play!

And you're right about Uncle Ted and his mouth, but he can play! So I just don't listen to his spewing. But if you ever have the chance to see him it's a good show. He jammed is tail off for 2 hours and 20 minutes with only a 3 minute break. It was a rather small venue and we were really close so it rocked.

Funny how we still listen to the music we did when we were in our teens.

Devv said:
Congrats on your new guitar!

One of the first things I want after I retire is a guitar, no time now, but hoping there is then ;)  And hoping I can play!

And you're right about Uncle Ted and his mouth, but he can play! So I just don't listen to his spewing. But if you ever have the chance to see him it's a good show. He jammed is tail off for 2 hours and 20 minutes with only a 3 minute break. It was a rather small venue and we were really close so it rocked.

Funny how we still listen to the music we did when we were in our teens.

I haven't owned a guitar since I was in college and a couple of years ago my wife bought me an acoustic for my birthday. Now I finally got another electric to keep it company.

Yes, I still listen to most of the same music, but more like the same type, but newer. I hear lots of new cool stuff on satellite radio that reminds me of the bands from when I was a teenager. For example: Metallica and Maiden. listen to these two and see if you can pick out the similarities. These two songs are within the last two years. I took my 13 year old son to see the later band in concert. It was just like seeing Maiden . :D

Back to peppers
20140515_181814.jpg

Irrigation parts arrived. Sometime next week I'll get it all installed and have some photos of the install.

20140515_181418.jpg

Orange Thai

20140515_181344.jpg

Jalmundo jalapeno

20140515_181313.jpg

Caribbean red- tons of new growth

20140515_181258.jpg

two reapers. The one in the back isn't liking all the rain.

20140515_181208.jpg

Lots of red rocoto flowers with this cool weather. :D

20140515_181159.jpg

Monzano sporting new growth

20140515_181131.jpg

Naga Morarch with her new growth

20140515_181116.jpg

Red ghost

That is all for now.

Back