• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff H's 2014 glog- Season ending harvest pics.

Okay, time to kick this growing year off. First a pic from last year of the hydroponic scorpion right before I added it to the compost pile. The plant was so productive with 4 gallon freezer bags stuffed plus more already dried that not only did I decide to not overwinter it, but TSBTs won't be on the grow list next year. This was truly a beast and by far my most productive plant. IIRC, it was over 5' tall and just about as wide when hte branches were heavy with pods.

It was started about this time last year, so it is about time to start some of those pesky slower growing plants if I want them this big next year.

20131014_190613.jpg

All good things come to an end. The plants will be chopped up and mixed with the leaves for compost.

20131019_180602.jpg

Okay, with that out of the way, let's get started on next year.

First, a shot of some of the over winter plants in the upstairs window sill. I just plan on keeping them alive here with no real growth expected until I put them outside next year. The two small plants are scorpion clones from the monster. I still don't think they will make the grow next year, but I just couldn't kill it without taking a couple clones. Other overwinters in this pic include a ghost pepper, hot paper lantern hab, tabasco pepper, my largest and most productive giant jalapeno and a couple of others.

20131029_202914.jpg

Now down into the grow room for an overall shot of what I am doing this year. The flood table is new, but everything else is the same from last year. Same 600W MH light and same mylar on the walls.

20131021_203238.jpg

Now at this point, let me take a minute to explain that there is no organic soil in anything I brought inside, nor anything that I plan to plant this year. Everything will be hydroponic in one way or another. Even the plants upstairs. My soil for all plants not in the flood table is 50/50 perlite and peat moss. I water them with hydro nutes every few days, but probably can get away with once a week or so. Soil drains really well but the peat moss holds a decent amount of moisture. I'm hoping that we have no issues with root rot this year. I'm also betting that fungus gnats won't like this fast drying soil either. Well that and the mosquito dunks that will be in the hydro water if those bastards do show up again this year.

A close up of the "soil". Look at all that great perlite.

20131021_203221.jpg

Now, looking at the plants in the flood table, the perlite/pete moss is about 80/20 and I flood hte table once a day. As it is, there is probably too much pete in the soil because the grow bags stay soaked all the time and I'm going to have mold issues. I need to rethink this, but this is what I have for now.

Here they are the day it was installed on Oct 21st.
20131021_203215.jpg

Here they are a week later (last night). You can't really see it, but there are a couple of tiny growth nodes on the ghost pepper (big pot on the left) and the paper lantern in the black pot. No sign of growth on the monzano yet, but if you look close at the pot, you can see what looks like mold starting. I tossed a cup of H2O2 into the rez last night to kill it if it was mold. We'll see. Maybe plastic air pruning pots would be better suited, or giant net cups.

20131029_200016.jpg

That is all for now. Join me back on the next update. I'm working hot and heavy on some clones and other projects that aren't quite ready to be photographed yet. Soon though.

beerbreath81 said:

No problem, it surprized me too when I got them last year on my black hungarian..
attachicon.gif
post-8959-0-53552200-1392399728_thumb.jpg

didnt really care for the taste of them...until they turned red
Appreciate the info. Thanks.

romy6 said:
Everything is looking good Jeffrey .

Never did the tea thing but I know it does wonder . 

Purple Jalapeno is a beautiful plant . Very sweet and mild pepper . I agree wait till they go red to eat . 
Will do. Mental note made: harvest when red. Sounds like I have my candidates for chipotles.

OCD Chilehead said:
That mahi mahi looks excellent. Hope it didn't storm to bad.
Thanks. We did get a ton of rain but no hail. Absolutely poured for a few hours. A couple of tomatoes that weren't staked high enough bent over a bit not no real damage. Peppers are waterlogged but they survived.

PIC 1 said:
Jeff have you noticed any difference with the tea brew. I did a comparison with some tomato plants, 10 plants were soaked, 10 were not. Big difference after 3 days. Not only a lush dark green appearance but a surge in growth.

I'll take a plate of that Mahi !
Well, at only 5 gallons per batch, if I do the whole garden there is enough for a really good foliar soak, but not a soil drench. I can say that a week  after the tea application, all of the plants look healthier and the ones that were struggling are at least looking better then they were a week ago. Some of the annuums (oddly enough, more sweets than hots took the worst damage) were really beat up from the mites and will take some time to recover.

2nd application is tonight. I'll report back next week on progress.

maximumcapsicum said:
Fish and taters look great man. I should follow your lead an give the compost tea a try. Just so many hours in the day.

The tea really doesn't take any effort once you've committed to making it. Put a small bucket on your balcony with some worms in it and put the kitchen scraps in there. Soon you will have enough vermicompost- you don't need much. Once you put it in a bucket with an air stone you can ignore it for a couple of days. Once it is done, spray or dump it on the plants.

First off, I wanted to make a shout out to Trent for sending the care package that arrived yesterday. A big thank you buddy.

20140605_172937.jpg

Those should keep me busy testing and experimenting for a while. The tracers will be downright fun at the correct range- certainly can't use them everywhere.

I have a few AP rounds left. Might be interesting to load a few tracers and a few AP rounds in an en bloc clip and go punch some holes in some 1" plate. :rofl: The expression on my brother's face would be priceless - he thinks I'm just shooting M2 ball.
20140605_200054.jpg

Pod pics.

Monzano O/W. This plant is clearly a cross of some sort since the pods don't bear the traditional monzano shape, but they do ripen yellow so I'm still calling it a monzano.
20140605_173125.jpg

20140605_173218.jpg

Rocoto- red
20140605_173143.jpg

Crappy pic of a couple of Jals
20140605_173228.jpg

Paper lanterns sporting a little sun tan
20140605_173250.jpg

The tomatoes certainly aren't affected by the mites and other crap that has hurt the peppers.

Romas
20140605_173434.jpg

Bite Right.
20140605_173504.jpg

20140605_173515.jpg

That should be 10. Need a bump, have a few more.

Bump... AP and tracer should be fun to play with... good thing forest fire isn't usually a risk in Ohio. ;)

Peppers and 'Maters are looking excellent Jeff... did the OW Manzano pods look the same last year? If not, it could just  be early-season pod shape difference, and when things warm up a little and the plants kick over into serious grow mode the pod shapes will revert to type. Cheers!

stickman said:
Bump... AP and tracer should be fun to play with... good thing forest fire isn't usually a risk in Ohio. ;)

Peppers and 'Maters are looking excellent Jeff... did the OW Manzano pods look the same last year? If not, it could just  be early-season pod shape difference, and when things warm up a little and the plants kick over into serious grow mode the pod shapes will revert to type. Cheers!

Hard to say Rick. I only harvested two monzanos last year and they were both from the same plant. They were a little elongated but not this much. Problem is that I don't know which of my two o/w monzanos produced the peppers. Either way, they taste great. Like a hot yeoolw bell. Yum.

maximumcapsicum said:
Looking good Jeff! Your Romas have a cool cornered shape.

I noticed that too. Interesting isn't it.

More pics:

White bhut from Ramon. I didn't think I had any pods yet. This one surprised me.
20140605_184838.jpg

A few poblanos. The tallest of my annuums so far. They look to have fully recovered and stand about 16" tall right now.
20140605_173545.jpg

Tomato forest. These are some of the romas.
20140605_173424.jpg

Look at the onions go. Nice and strong.
20140605_173356.jpg

Beets. My wife loves beets.
20140605_173407.jpg

Food:
I was shooting for burritos but the wife got the wrong size tortillas so we have mini burritos-

20140605_183201.jpg

20140605_183040.jpg

20140605_183455.jpg

Lastly an experiment. Let's see how a badly beaten and abused pepper plant can recover being fed nothing but water and AACT.

This little sweet red pepper has been severely abused by the broad mites then once I got them under control, a rabbit feasted on all the remaining foliage. I sprayed it one week ago with AACT and again last night. Last week, it had only the one leaf. Here it the little guy as of last night.

20140605_190526.jpg

We'll keep regular updates of this one to see how it recovers. Got some good looking new growth in a week so far.

Shoot responsibly. My buddy started a brush fire once with a 50 BMG, and it was a real bitch for us to get under control. Ever stomp out a prairie grass fire wearing shorts? Ever wonder what burning human hair smells like? After I showered off the soot my legs were smoother than my wife's. ;)

My friend was like "DUDE WTF ARE YOU DOING???!!!" ... As I jump in to the middle of the spreading fire circle and start stomping down. I said "Get the **** in here and help, not hot enough yet to set YOU on fire." :)

Now we only shoot them after a good rain, or with snow on the ground.

Harder to start a brush fire with the 223 and 30 cals. But those 50 BMG's, those stay real hot, a real long time.

Garden looks great! Looks like your tomatoes are off to a great start. When did you start them off? I started mine in mid-March and they're not quite as far along.

TrentL said:
Shoot responsibly. My buddy started a brush fire once with a 50 BMG, and it was a real bitch for us to get under control. Ever stomp out a prairie grass fire wearing shorts? Ever wonder what burning human hair smells like? After I showered off the soot my legs were smoother than my wife's. ;)

My friend was like "DUDE WTF ARE YOU DOING???!!!" ... As I jump in to the middle of the spreading fire circle and start stomping down. I said "Get the **** in here and help, not hot enough yet to set YOU on fire." :)

Harder to start a brush fire with the 223 and 30 cals. But those 50 BMG's, those stay real hot, a real long time.

Garden looks great! Looks like your tomatoes are off to a great start. When did you start them off? I started mine in mid-March and they're not quite as far along.

HAHA. I know only too well how hot they get. I was at an indoor range years ago and they had a new sign on the door: "We inspect all surplus ammo you bring in". I asked the clerk what the new policy was all about and he told me someone was shooting tracers and caught their shredded tire backstop on fire--> indoors. :eek:

I think I started the tomatoes on 2/15. They were all sprouted and growing by 3/1. There has been some recent discussion in a glog or two about a second batch of tomatoes in the same season. I think I might just give it a try. My determinates are already putting out lots of tomatoes so they should be all petered out in a couple of months. Probably still have time to rip them out and put new ones in their place and get at least some fruit from them before the frosts in late October. That is the plan anyway. I'll put some more seeds in the dirt tonight so if my plan works, I'll have them ready to go.

Jeff H said:

I think I started the tomatoes on 2/15. They were all sprouted and growing by 3/1. There has been some recent discussion in a glog or two about a second batch of tomatoes in the same season. I think I might just give it a try. My determinates are already putting out lots of tomatoes so they should be all petered out in a couple of months. Probably still have time to rip them out and put new ones in their place and get at least some fruit from them before the frosts in late October. That is the plan anyway. I'll put some more seeds in the dirt tonight so if my plan works, I'll have them ready to go.

At our latitude not sure it'd work, but guess it wouldn't hurt to try. The problem I had is starting them in March, they got 3' tall and pretty lanky by the time they were ready to go out. Even with all the light I was throwing at them, just wasn't enough. Need to figure out how to keep them bushy and compact like the outdoor volunteers that grow up each year in the garden.

I may not even start indoor ones next year. I always get "tomatoe'd out" at some point and let the last batch rot in the garden at the end of the year. I must have pulled 2,000 volunteers from the garden this year.

Hell I just pulled four more today over lunch, they're still sprouting all over the place! :)

Except for this one: pretty sure it's a 3rd generation cherry tomato volunteer:

aHhfZvjh.jpg

I pulled the dozens of other ones around it and let the strongest grow.

Last year did the same thing and it got pretty good sized. (That's my boy in the pic, he's about 6' tall for scale)

mKU9e0eh.jpg

It ended up reaching the camper steps by the end of the year. 

Anyway next year I might just skip starting them indoors and transplanting/caging random volunteers that pop up.

TrentL said:

:rofl:
Oh yeah... I was stationed in Ft Carson, CO in the late 70's and early 80's, and I remember exactly how much of a PITA it was putting out fires caused by ordinance on the live-fire ranges. At least we weren't doing it in shorts... ;)

Jeff H said:

HAHA. I know only too well how hot they get. I was at an indoor range years ago and they had a new sign on the door: "We inspect all surplus ammo you bring in". I asked the clerk what the new policy was all about and he told me someone was shooting tracers and caught their shredded tire backstop on fire--> indoors. :eek:

I bet you could throw a tunnel over them maters and stretch it out a few more weeks and get some more fruit.  Even if it is just letting the green ones get a bit bigger and closer.

I think you'll like the White Bhut, nice and sweet and not too hot. The first ones I picked were kind of Hab looking. I'm sure they will attain the desired look as the plant matures. This pod is definitely a keeper!

Your garden looks great! Funny how fast things take off once in the soil.

I'm ready for a taco! Down here if it's in a tortilla it's a taco regardless ;)

Enjoy the weekend Jeff! You're in coast mode for a short while :party:

TrentL said:

At our latitude not sure it'd work, but guess it wouldn't hurt to try. The problem I had is starting them in March, they got 3' tall and pretty lanky by the time they were ready to go out. Even with all the light I was throwing at them, just wasn't enough. Need to figure out how to keep them bushy and compact like the outdoor volunteers that grow up each year in the garden.

I may not even start indoor ones next year. I always get "tomatoe'd out" at some point and let the last batch rot in the garden at the end of the year. I must have pulled 2,000 volunteers from the garden this year.

Hell I just pulled four more today over lunch, they're still sprouting all over the place! :)

Except for this one: pretty sure it's a 3rd generation cherry tomato volunteer:

aHhfZvjh.jpg

I pulled the dozens of other ones around it and let the strongest grow.

Last year did the same thing and it got pretty good sized. (That's my boy in the pic, he's about 6' tall for scale)

mKU9e0eh.jpg

It ended up reaching the camper steps by the end of the year. 

Anyway next year I might just skip starting them indoors and transplanting/caging random volunteers that pop up.

Trent, I think you need more light to keep them from getting lanky. with the 600w MH bulb, they never did get too lanky. I'll get some photos of the romas up some time soon. Those things are so darn bushy right now they are hard to control.

Some of the peppers aren't liking the weather, but the tomatoes are loving it.

Your volunteer does look great though.

stickman said:

:rofl:
Oh yeah... I was stationed in Ft Carson, CO in the late 70's and early 80's, and I remember exactly how much of a PITA it was putting out fires caused by ordinance on the live-fire ranges. At least we weren't doing it in shorts... ;)

Never done that yet. Hope it doesn't happen, but you never know. :whistle:

HillBilly Jeff said:

I bet you could throw a tunnel over them maters and stretch it out a few more weeks and get some more fruit.  Even if it is just letting the green ones get a bit bigger and closer.

You know, that is a good thought. I'll file that and see if I need it in the fall.

Devv said:
I think you'll like the White Bhut, nice and sweet and not too hot. The first ones I picked were kind of Hab looking. I'm sure they will attain the desired look as the plant matures. This pod is definitely a keeper!

Your garden looks great! Funny how fast things take off once in the soil.

I'm ready for a taco! Down here if it's in a tortilla it's a taco regardless ;)

Enjoy the weekend Jeff! You're in coast mode for a short while :party:

Thanks Scott. Taco it is. :D

maximumcapsicum said:
Love the tomato wall. 

Everything is looking great Jeff H! Tossed some of your scorp powder on some eggs at lunch. Ate it with some roasted jals. Very delicious. Also that Indian Carbone you sent me has set pods!

Very cool Adam. Get some photos of the IC when they are ripe.

I've been out of town since Friday. Since I've been gone, it has rained, and rained and rained. Guess what. It is raining again. Not all day mind you, but about every day.

With the cool temps and all the rain, the peppers aren't really taking off, but they are holding their own. Photos in a few days when it isn't raining, but for now, a few lines from a song. It would feel good to have a bit of his weather for a few weeks. :D. Enough water here.

Kudos to those of you who know the song without looking it up.

"Day after day, day after day,
we stuck nor breath nor motion
as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Water, water everywhere and
all the boards did shrink
Water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink."

Oh, and food. Check the Boil like a cajun thread for details. This is my veggie boil--then grilled.

20140610_191016.jpg

Jeff H said:

Trent, I think you need more light to keep them from getting lanky. with the 600w MH bulb, they never did get too lanky. I'll get some photos of the romas up some time soon. Those things are so darn bushy right now they are hard to control.

Well I definitely had enough light for peppers to do well. They remained squat and bushy, new nodes & leaves forming practically on top of the last ones. 

I put extra light on the tomatoes - but I'm wondering maybe the wrong light wavelength? I was using CFL's and those are pretty narrow spectrum  and very "spiky". LED and Incandescent cover a very broad band of the light spectrum. 

Spectrum_CFL_LED.jpg

(Source: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/solar-at-home/2011/03/21/a-better-kind-of-lightbulb/)

Anyway, I had 20x 200w equivalent CFL's in the 200 sq ft grow room, which should have been WAY more than enough light (especially considering I adjusted them to always be just a few inches over the plants)!

TrentL said:

Well I definitely had enough light for peppers to do well. They remained squat and bushy, new nodes & leaves forming practically on top of the last ones. 

I put extra light on the tomatoes - but I'm wondering maybe the wrong light wavelength? I was using CFL's and those are pretty narrow spectrum  and very "spiky". LED and Incandescent cover a very broad band of the light spectrum. 

Spectrum_CFL_LED.jpg

(Source: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/solar-at-home/2011/03/21/a-better-kind-of-lightbulb/)

Anyway, I had 20x 200w equivalent CFL's in the 200 sq ft grow room, which should have been WAY more than enough light (especially considering I adjusted them to always be just a few inches over the plants)!

You burned enough electricity, but doesn't sound like enough lumens. Follow my math and let me know what you think.

200 watt equivalent bulbs are 42 watts according to HD.

20 bulbs x 42 watts= 840 watts.
840 watts x64 L/watt ( efficiency of CFL) = 57,777 lumnes.

57,777 lumens/200 sq.ft. = 265 L/sq/ft.

Here is my setup in the primary grow room.

1 600 watt MH bulb x 100 L/watt = 60,000 Lumens.

60,000 L/ 25 sq/ft grow room(approximate)= 2400 L/sf.

I pulled the efficiencies from a thread from last year. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/42372-led-vs-cfl/?p=890525

Back