• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Jeff's Glog- 2015 edition.--In the dirt

Here we go again. :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Starting a little later this year. Right now, just some pubes. Supers in a week or two and the rest of the crew in Feb sometime.

20150111_133836.jpg

Since the glog is pretty boring at this point, we'll get it off to a good start with some good food. Blackened chicken and dirty rice with jalapeno poppers.

20150111_183914.jpg

tctenten said:
Looking good Jeff.  This will be my first year trying onions....what is the next step...do you pot up that big tray or just let them go to plant  out time?  

They go outside much earlier than peppers (6-7 weeks from now) and they don't seem to grow real fast indoors. It is my hope that I don't need to transplant them at all. Last year, I put them in individual 72 cell containers. I was very underwhelmed at plant out time as to how small the root system was.

This year I planted Onion seeds in late October, and I felt they were still too small come the 2nd or 3rd week of January. My dirt day for Onions. I planted 2 seed packs in each planter, and wound up giving 3/4 away at work.

The boxes I use are 8x18"s and 6"s deep.

Yeah... All of the Pubes I've experienced are slow to sprout and grow, At least you got a couple to pop. Nice looking onions Jeff! You can never have too many, and fortunately they don't take up much space.

Devv said:
This year I planted Onion seeds in late October, and I felt they were still too small come the 2nd or 3rd week of January. My dirt day for Onions. I planted 2 seed packs in each planter, and wound up giving 3/4 away at work.

The boxes I use are 8x18"s and 6"s deep.
I have about 2-1/2 seed packs going right now. No idea how many, but it is a bunch . Probably a bunch more than I can use. :D

tctenten said:
Great info. Thanks guys. I guess I will get them going soon. Jeff we probably have similar plant out dates for peppers, are you aiming for mid April on the onions?
Yes, mid April for onions and Mother's day for peppers, tomatillos and tomatoes.

stickman said:
Yeah... All of the Pubes I've experienced are slow to sprout and grow, At least you got a couple to pop. Nice looking onions Jeff! You can never have too many, and fortunately they don't take up much space.

It's been a nail biter with the pubes for sure. I won't have as many as I wanted, but at least I'll have 4-6 new ones.

Photo update soon. 80% of the annuums have popped in the 72 cell tray. I planted a small handful of back up annuums (just jals and similar) but it doesn't look like I will need them since almost all have popped after 15 days. Only the sweets are straggling. Bad seed maybe. Looks like I will be buying some sweet peppers at HD this year. ::rolleyes:

Tomatillos all popped. Shooting for 4-5 plants this year.

I had every intention of getting the tomatoes in the dirt yesterday, but it didn't happen. The wife and kids went over to the in-laws so I had some spare time. The wife gave me some instructions that I better get moving on some of the dragging remodel projects that have been sitting idle around the house. (Remember my glog last year when I put all the hardwood floors in the kitchen???? Well, the kitchen is done, but the main entry isn't done yet and she is on my case to get it finished before spring. )   Aaaaaaaaand, the tomatoes will have to wait since I ran out of time.

Got the newel post, railing and bench all finished though. Now to just get it painted and this part of the project will be done....

20150301_123051.jpg

20150301_152753.jpg

20150301_152816.jpg

Only need to finish painting, hang two new doors and trim them out and a little base to run and this project is done. <finally> New carpet for the stairs and living room arrives in a couple weeks so that is my drop dead date to have everything else done.

Looks like this glog is picking up, good to hear you go the aerogarden worked out and nice work on the railings. Have you nailed down your tomato list? How many plants you going for this year?

beerbreath81 said:
Looks like this glog is picking up, good to hear you go the aerogarden worked out and nice work on the railings. Have you nailed down your tomato list? How many plants you going for this year?

I'm going for 24 or more this year. So far the list is uninteresting to say the least. Romas, Grande Marzano Hybrid (indeterminate roma, should be interesting), and Burpe Big boys. Got 24 cells started, and room for up to 30 or so plants if I can find some good ones to round out the list. Anyone have ideas?

a few photos:

2nd round of annuums on the left, just today started tomatoes on the right.
20150302_193312.jpg

Main annuum tray. 16 cells still left to sprout at day 16 or so. I'm only leaving them in the humidity dome for a few more days, some of them are getting pretty tall already. Mostly the sweet peppers haven't sprouted.
20150302_191241.jpg

The forest of onions. They are growing a lot stronger than last year. Better soil maybe. I hope they don't get too big. They will be a PITA to transplant a couple hundred onions.
20150302_190946.jpg

Round 1 chinense and baccatums. Looking good. Probably pot these guys up and thin them out to 1 per pot in a week or two. At least a couple of everything I was going for except my NMC. I guess it wasn't meant to be. :mope:
20150302_191151.jpg

Holy shit. Two Rocotos that survived. I have a couple in the aerogarden too, but these two are the biggest.
20150302_191207.jpg

Everona tomatillo. I'll plant 4-6 of these. They get huge, but my family loves them.
20150302_191424.jpg

Jeff H said:
I'm going for 24 or more this year. So far the list is uninteresting to say the least. Romas, Grande Marzano Hybrid (indeterminate roma, should be interesting), and Burpe Big boys. Got 24 cells started, and room for up to 30 or so plants if I can find some good ones to round out the list. Anyone have ideas?

Some cherry types, black krim, or brandywine? If need some seeds I can send you a few varieties no problem

tctenten said:
Looking good...seperating those onions looks like a chore.

Yes it does. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Pulpiteer said:
Man, busy glog - honey do list, construction, onion, tomatoes, peppers - nice work!  Glad those two little rocotos made it.  Maybe they'll be special peppers and do awesome for you.

Thanks Andy. Here is to hoping that they do really well this year.

stickman said:
Nice percentages on your Annuums Jeff... good on ya! Good looking Pubes too. How many weeks since germination?

Good question Rick. Only one of my round one pubes survived, but it is no bigger than the round two one. As a matter of fact, since they are both in 3.5" pots, I can't remember which is which anymore. Safe to say they have been up for a month or so. Slowest growing things in the whole grow room.

beerbreath81 said:

Some cherry types, black krim, or brandywine? If need some seeds I can send you a few varieties no problem

If you're offering, I'm sure as heck not going to say no. My tomato collection is very anemic and could use a few new varieties. Not a fan of cherry types though.

HillBilly Jeff said:
Things are looking good.  

I like running better boy tomatoes for some canning.  Super boy for salsa, and for paste tomatoes you can't go wrong with opalka and amish paste.  I also love the sun sugar hybrid cherry tomato.  

I could shoot you some mater seeds if you like?  Still got plenty of time to start those.

Much appreciate the offer Jeff, but I think I will be good. The focus this year will be canning salsas and tomatoes so I am growing mainly paste varieties. BB81 is sending some others to fill out the grow, but I only have room for a few more.

Been a heck of a busy weekend working on the house again. Replaced the front door, hallway door. Ran all of the rest of the trim in the entry way and throughout the rest of the 1st floor. All that is left is the trim in one bathroom and the whole 1st floor will be done. (still have bunches of painting though). We should be on target to have the whole project done before camping season starts. :dance:

So, as normal, the peppers got ignored this weekend. I checked on them and watered them just enough to make sure they were all alive...Here is a couple shots of the rocotos in the Aerogarden I snapped as I walked out the door this morning.

20150309_071333.jpg

20150309_071328.jpg

To recap, I have a total of 4 rocotos in the Aerogarden, and at least three in the dirt so I finally feel pretty confident that I will be able to plant a decent garden of them. These two iwll come out of the Aerogarden in a week or two to make room for the wife's herbs.

beerbreath81 said:

Seeds arrived yesterday. Big thanks man. Appreciate it. I'll surely start them all, but do you have any favorites that you recommend over the others?
20150309_204525.jpg

TrentL said:
Is it spring yet????

Sigh.

One step closer today. Rainy and 50 degrees. I'll take that over snow and 20 deg any day.

And I'm officially participating in the growdown now. One popped the other day.
20150309_202233.jpg

Back