spirits Judging: April SMaSH BD

judging the one without a label

gonna go look for the one with a label, because I couldnt find it the first time

yea drank the one without the label, have the other one, I just had it hiding behind RM's "fuck me" girl thats still in the fridge, albeit not for long

Alright Ozzy

your last

ready to get your shit fucked up?

All I had to do was crack the bottle and I can already tell this is a negative 17/50

just took a wiff

fd21e69c89a01b968bdfa83e2447599387aa78bd4ef8ef6bf46716d66f24519d.jpg

in a really good way

THE RESULTS!!!
 ​
 ​
Thanks to all the entries. You all did a very good job. I am surprised I actually didnt get worse beer, because usually in a competition you get drain pours. There wasnt one. in fact, there wasnt one with any infections, which is awesome.

The guide and judging styles that I used are right here and here

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf

http://www.worldbeercup.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/16_WBC_Style_Guidelines_Final.pdf

I am just gonna list top to bottom from the highest score to the lowest. I scored them all according to the guidelines for each category, and then calculated the totals once I had all of the beers reviewed at the very end

The reviews will follow. I would like to break them up into separate posts, but I dont know how since I am just gonna copy pasta them.

AND YOUR WINNER IS
OZZY 2001!!!!!
Belgian Tripel
 ​
Here are the reviews

I wanted to post them separately, but as I copy paste them they just jump back in to my previous post, so until I can figure out a way to do it, that will be the way we have to go

JBeer 32 - IPA with Centennial

6/12 Aroma - Bottle Conditioned metallic aroma due to unhealthy yeast. Sweet and bready, great hop aroma, but could have used 25% more dry hop

3/3 Appearance - Beer is fucking gorgeous, head is perfect, retention is spot on, very clear, Nice job

15/20 Flavor - Obvious its Centennial, sweet start but lingering bitterness. Good stuff.  After 3 days of fermentation I would turn the temp control off or move it to a higher temperature so it finishes out a little more dry. Use less early additions and toss them into late additions to balance that lingering bitterness with more aroma

3/5 Mouthfeel - Medium carb, acceptable for this style, a little too thick on the finish. 

7/10 - Overall - Good beer, small flaws, a little bit of DMS, but I had to take a bunch of sips to figure out what it was. Increase that late addition and dry hop, and you got a winner

Total 34/50 - Very Good

RocketMan - Whore Slut Beer (Spiced Saison)

9/12 Aroma - Lemon and fruity esters, but spicy esters dominate. Sweet flowerly smell, pink peppercorns on the finish

2/3 Appearance - Cloudy, good color, good for style, nice retention but the lacing was meh

17/20 Flavor - Citrus with light bubblegum, like skittles or Juicy Fruit gum. Lemon rind, sweet honey, nice balance to the dryness, basil is present but the esters really overpower it.

4/5 Mouthfeel - Moderate carb, would love this at like 3.2 volumes, like super high. Semi dry, and totally attenuated

8/10 Overall - Very good beer, hybrid saison/mead would be a good place to put this. Doesnt fit in a category, but I knew that before hand 

Total 40/50 - Excellent

TCtenten - Belgian Blonde Ale

7/12 Aroma - Bubblegum and vanilla, fusel esters, slight phenolic, lacking complexity

2/3 Appearance - Slight haze, head retention is quick to dissipate, but good tight bubbles

14/20 Flavor - Kind of a belgian blonde, but kind of not. Lacking pizzaz which is hard to do for this style with a single grain. I wish you would have used a lower fermentation temp and a little more finishing hops

4/5 Mouthfeel - Great carb, crisp finish

5/10 Overall - Components are there, technique is there, but the choice of yeast was a bad one. I was going to say it before in the thread, and I kind of hinted at it, but the only way to get this yeast to work properly is to keep it super low in temps. If you try to use this as a saison yeast at higher temps, it creates a boatload of undesirable flavors, especially in a blonde ale, but even in a saison which this was meant for. Not your fault at all, just remember it for the future.

Total 34/50 Very Good

Ozzy2001 - Belgian Tripel

10/12 Aroma - Glory Glory!, slight 4-vinyl, iso-amyl, alcohol presence, spicy esters, would love more malt but obviously we cant with a smash beer

2/3 Appearance - Darker than it should be. Could be the extra caramelization from the higher sugars compared to the others. Or you cheated!!!

17/20 Flavor - Good alcohol presence, tastes like it smells, but with some citrus bonus, sweet but attenuated perfectly

4/5 Mouthfeel - Just a bit more carb, just a bit!

8/10 Overall - I cant believe you beat RM, considering he has been doing this the longest. But you did, by one. 

Total 41/50 - Excellent, AND THE WINNER!!!!

im surprised

seriously most of the time I judge competitions, I get at least 20% of the beers either being drain pours or like 10-20's

to have all the beers in the mid 30's and higher is spectacular

Ozzy

your stout

its the IBUs that are fucking with you. Too bitter for this good of a malt bill. Also, slight yeast autolysis. Giving a bit of a beef jerky flavor, but its super minimal

If I was served this at a brewery, I would probably get another one before the end of the night

And god this is glorious looking

ZsIvvNh.jpg

Just stoked it wasn't a bomb. Interesting comments about the yeast. If I use it again I will try at lower temps.

I thought the same thing on the IBUs. Upfront it's pretty good, but the finish is too bitter. Cool that's easy to fix. Thanks a lot.

How does Founders have 90 IBUs in their imp stout and it's not too bitter? They just leave enough residual sugars?

astringency plays a factor, as does age, and even the variety of hop that is used for bittering

I tent to use a medium myrcene and medium Alpha for even super high ABV beers unless they are hop forward bombs

like if I was to use a hop for a 10% RIS, it would be Northern Brewer

Back