spirits Judging: April SMaSH BD

Congratulations Ozzy! Wow, can't believe it was just 1 point difference. I can just picture Wheebz sitting there tittering back and forth before finally making a decision

Also congrats to everyone, we did it! We rocked this out and all in the 30's or higher.

Finally thanks Wheebz for the great reviews and suggestions. We learn from the best so we can out brew the rest!

wheebz said:
so what do you want to call this beer

and you have to shoot me the recipe and all that jazz so I can make it for our opening day

replacing a braggot with this beer, so feel special
"3 Otters Tripel" is what I called it originally. And believe me, I am very honored. I wish I was closer so I could attend the opening and drink it there :)

The best part about this is the feedback for me.  To hear Wheebz tell me that my techniques are good is priceless.  Now it is just about figuring out what goes well together.  I still don't get what causes the different flavors yet…but I will get there.

Ozzy2001 said:
Wheebz let me know when you have your opening date. I may have to catch a flight out there or something. It's not everyday I could have that experience.

Ohh yeah!   Let me know too.   Even though I came in last  :mope:  :mope: I would definitely make an attempt to make it if other are going.  

We will FaceTime Grant and RM in.  Wheebz you have Wifi?

Congratulations Ozzy!  Thanks for the feedback and review wheebz.  Surprisingly, I usually add more hops to all my IPAs but since I had run out of almost everything that I grew last year except for a lot of Columbus, (I didn't feel that Columbus would have made a good 1 hop only for this beer) I didn't have the funds at the time to exceed the hops I already got even though I wanted to.  To me the beer seemed more of a hoppier pale ale and not an IPA due to the lack of hops.  My consolation is I belong to a beer club that met last night.  I brought this beer along with a chocolate oatmeal stout I made in either late February or early march.  They both seemed to get good receptions but at the end when most had left, 3 people came up to me and told me they really liked this beer.  Next month should be interesting.  Do they even have a bjcp guideline for a golden stout?

The do not for the category

like I said, your beer was good, and I would definitely categorize it in the pale ale category as opposed to the IPA category

That beer would work perfectly with some more late additions. You kind of weere super restricted with the smash deal we did, but I definitely look forward to more of em

So we cant do 3 Otters Tripel, we have Otter Creek, and Space Otter, both sold right around here

And I need your recipe to scale up to 1bbl size, gotta get that today, IBU's, yeast used, ferm temp, hops, any other additions

I linked my post will all of that above here. But here it is.

I'll have to think about the name

3 Otters

13 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 87.1 %
2 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 2 12.9 %
2.00 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 15.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 8.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 1.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [35.49 ml] Yeast 6 -

Here's the recipe for 5 gals. I just scaled it down for this one.

Mash at 149. 60min boil.

Starting at 1.072 which is a little under target but makes sense being there is still a 1/3 lb of sugar to go in.
CEBE628F-BED6-45DF-AC7A-3B17093F5E11.jpg

3D780778-54C3-4A3C-A0D3-A2ECA50B81EE.jpg

Going to ferment starting at 64F and raise it a 2 degree a day up to 70F. I saved some of the candi sugar to add once the ferment has slowed down to make sure the yeast chews up all the complex sugars first. After 7 days I'll cold crash it and bottle it up. :)

In the chamber
198C6803-5AD9-41D2-A6CE-003F913EABC2.jpg

3 days later added the candi sugar when the yeast had started to settle.

3AF343B2-8E1E-4117-A61B-995E81A70266.jpg

Cold crashed for 3 days then bottled.
A4C8AC60-1393-4DBA-90CF-50CE0B8C6ED0.jpg

2 weeks later in the glass
59CBCF8A-CDBB-4CC1-9AD8-7BB1824C726F.jpg

Back