LAND OF THE GIANTS 2016 - Biggest Jim Competition

santis00 said:

I can send you some.

I feel like I have homefield advantage! (didnt work to well for the playoff teams though...)

Santis that's very generous of you. I plan on stopping by a few local shops after work today. If I strike out there I'll shoot you a PM and we can work out a trade. I'll be updating my profile with my list of seeds I currently have. Thanks

Sounds fun, I'm in. But would anyone be willing to send some seeds my way? I'd be more than happy to send out a self addressed/stamped envelope for some.

Dennish,   I saw the post script to your original message and was able to find that the record Big Jim measured 13.5 inches. Not the best source but it's from a product page on amazon. They describe the Big Jim as follows:

"The NuMex Big Jim is listed in the Guinness book of world records as the world's largest chile pepper @ 13.5 inches long. The plants grow 20-24" inches tall and produce long, thick, smooth, fleshy fruits. The chiles average 8" long and are very popular with chefs, home gardeners and commercial growers for the large cavities...Great for Chile Rellenos. It is very adaptable. It can be stuffed, Roasted, Stir Fried and canned."

http://www.amazon.com/Seeds-Things-NuMex-Chile-Pepper/dp/B0046CB8OK

I'll see if I can find the official record entry for Guinness.

dennish said:
Fellow Chilli Heads,

PS: Have searched in vain to find out the size of the world record holding Big Jim... it would be uber cool to think we could have a world record breaking pod in our sights!  Any info you may be able to turn-up here appreciated...

Found a more reliable source but it's still not from Guinness themselves.

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/content/files/HBJ.full.pdf

"It is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as producing the world’s largest pepper pod at 33.75 cm (13.5inches) long"

MRpeabody said:

Found a more reliable source but it's still not from Guinness themselves.

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/content/files/HBJ.full.pdf

"It is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as producing the world’s largest pepper pod at 33.75 cm (13.5inches) long"
Cheers MRpeabody.  Big Kahuna came up with the same figures, so the best we have an at least something to aim for!  I have scoured the Guinness World Records website and the biggest chili record isn't mentioned / current unless under I'm just not looking in the right place?

I see this topic got moved??? I thought it had gotten deleted at first. I was bummed a few minutes ago :)

iiii oooonce, 
waaas loooost,
buuut nooow...
am found.

mrgrowguy said:
I see this topic got moved??? I thought it had gotten deleted at first. I was bummed a few minutes ago :)

iiii oooonce, 
waaas loooost,
buuut nooow...
am found.

Not sure why the topic was moved to the Promotion forum?!  I would have thought more relevant in the growing forum, but hey ho guess it doesn't matter.

Great to see so much interest already, I think we definitely have enough takers (both here and over on Chillies Galore) to declare the team challenge ON! :dance: 

I've updated the post at the top of the thread with the details... I'll also use the first post to maintain the leader board when things get going.

I don't see when the competition starts?  Did I miss it?  I also think this should be in the growing section.  It's not a promotion.

It probably doesn't matter when you start, right?  I mean it's biggest pepper, not biggest plant.

alkhall said:
I ordered NuMex Big Jim and NuMex Heritage Big Jim.

I presume either, or both, is/are eligible for entry?
Nice work! Yes, both are eligible as per rules in the post at the top of the thread.
roper2008 said:
I don't see when the competition starts?  Did I miss it?  I also think this should be in the growing section.  It's not a promotion.

It probably doesn't matter when you start, right?  I mean it's biggest pepper, not biggest plant.
Hi Roper, you are right, no start date... Start now if you have the means to, or start whenever you think will give you the best chance of the biggest pods!

Exciting news people, the first prize for this year's Biggest Pod contest has been confirmed, check out the post at the top of the thread now updated with details!  Thanks very much Judy @ www.pepperlover.com for the generous prize offered, this season's comp is gearing up to be epic in every way   :P

Note: I'm waiting for the sponsor of last season's comp to get back to me also, I am hoping to offer runners-up prizes for 2nd and 3rd place pods too... details TBC.

And also, if there anyone reading this wants to get involved by offering a prize please PM me, you are more than welcome to get involved.

roper2008 said:
I also think this should be in the growing section.  It's not a promotion.
I queried why the thread has been moved with site admin and the reason is because of mention of another chilli site / forum, even though all we are promoting is a bit of healthy competition, this is as per the site rules so all good - at least we now know why it was moved  :)

I should also mention for the avoidance of doubt that I am not benefiting from the comp in any way (unless I win of course!), nor am I affiliated with any of the people or companies offering prizes.  It is run purely for enjoyment and added interest of those taking part.  

Back