LAND OF THE GIANTS 2016 - Biggest Jim Competition

This is such a great idea! The Hatch Green seed variety at Sandia Seed consistently grows larger than any other Big Jim. It is a medium heat green chile i.e. Big Jim. If you grow it in ideal garden conditions they will be 11" to 12" long! Good luck to everyone!

Exciting news to share!

I am in touch with the good folks at ChileSeedUSA.  http://www.chileseedusa.com/

The Big Jim variety was developed on the Lytle farm and named after the founder, the late Jim Lytle.  Jim’s grandson, Faron, has very kindly offered a fantastic prize which will be offered to the 2nd place entrant, full details will be added to the post at the top of the thread.  Thanks so much for the support Faron!

Faron has also offered a batch of free World Record Big Jim Pepper seed, selected over generations to yield the biggest pods as described below…
In 2011 I Planted foundation seed my Grandmother selected from the lot# she took the world record from.
The results were many 20 inch (50.8 centimeters) pods. Guinness officials could not come to verify until late season, at that time the pods had turned red.  Guinness officials arrived and I was on a business trip, My Father Harvested a pod that measured 16 3/4 inches (42.545 centimeters) but did not have the registration fee to have it recorded.  I selected seed from many different plants that had 40-50 centimeter red pods, I have since harvested 52 centimeter pods from these selections

The first 5 members who post in this thread will be sent a batch of World Record Big Jim Pepper seed free of charge, courtesy of ChileSeedUSA!
(5 offered here and 5 offered to chillies galore participants)

Note:
  • I will list the lucky recipients when all the seed have been allocated. 
  • I will cover onward postage costs, PM your address if selected.
  • You must already have registered an interest in taking in part in the competition in the thread to take advantage of this offer!
Lucky Recipients 
1) ColdSmoke
2) Big Kahuna
3) Skullbiker
4) MRpeabody
5) Goenoerd
6) Floricole

I’m sure you’ll agree this is a fantastic show of support from ChileSeedUSA and takes us one step closer to the origins of this great pepper! 

Free seed offer now closed, lucky recipients listed above, please PM me your address and I will post out the seed as soon as I get them.

Note: You can still get your hands on World Record Big Jim Pepper seed at http://www.chileseedusa.com/

The first 5 members who post in this thread will be sent a batch of World Record Big Jim Pepper seed free of charge, courtesy of ChileSeedUSA!

Can I get in on this? I'm having a hell of a time finding seed locally.

ColdSmoke said:
freakin sweet!! Thanks ChileSeedUSA!
Added to the list.  :P
Big Kahuna said:
Sweet deal!  
skullbiker said:
I'll go for it if still available!!
MRpeabody said:

Can I get in on this? I'm having a hell of a time finding seed locally.

am i in?

Hi cone9 you are surely in if you wish to take part, however I'm offering the bonus free seed to those already registering interest first... If there are any left then I will send to you first.

dennish said:
Hi cone9 you are surely in if you wish to take part, however I'm offering the bonus free seed to those already registering interest first... If there are any left then I will send to you first.
OK - I did not realize there was a requirement to "register" first in the thread.

I do plan to participate.

cone9 said:
OK - I did not realize there was a requirement to "register" first in the thread.

I do plan to participate.
Great stuff cone9 glad to have you on board.  No need to register to take part as such, I was simply meaning that I would offer the free seed to those who had posted on the thread previously stating their intention to take part, as a way of protecting the offer from people just on  the look out for free seed (which I am sure you are not!).  Cheers!

Geonerd said:
Pick me, Monty!!!   

(Did I win the seeds, or the goat?   ;) )

floricole said:
@dennish do you still have some seeds?

Think what we have here is a good old fashioned tie!  Floricole PM'd me at the same time Geonerd posted to the thread... so, both added to the list! 

I'll adjust the quantities of seed slightly to make an extra batch  :dance:  

Free seed offer now closed, lucky recipients listed above, please PM me your address and I will post out the seed as soon as I get them.

Note: You can still get your hands on World Record Big Jim Pepper seed at http://www.chileseedusa.com/

I wish I could have be able to get in on the free seeds, but as I was at work when the post was made, and therefore not afforded the luxury of being able to sit around and surf the forum, I guess I missed out.

Back