• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Lazies 2011 grow log

Well I have decided to start a grow log this season. Nothing too exciting to post yet. Started to germinate on the 6th and have a ton of work to do on the hill side garden.

Okay so due not wanting to spend extra money on a heating pad I have the following set up for germination:
Jiffy mini green house on top of my dehydrator on low. Keeps it at the right temp:

SIJP7.jpg

The location of the hill side garden, I figured the hill will work fine because it will not pool up with all the excessive water we get here in Wa:
tratu.jpg

decided to break ground and see what I had to work with in terms of soil. To my dismay the dark soil was something they used to cover nothing but clay and rocks. And if your wondering what is going on with the stakes on the right its because my neighbors have a pit bull that has dug thru the fence and as you can see to the left he started to dig thru again, I spoke with the owners and was advised the dog has never been socialized with other dogs however they will be moving at the end of the month.
MTZ8a.jpg

And yes if you keep up with my grow log you will have to endure random pictures of my dogs:
kvHd4.jpg

I have however come up with a solution to for the soil that will be cost effective. I will be growing lots of vegetables and other things as well but here is my grow list for peppers:
7 Pod Primo
7 pod -Patrick
7 pod Barrackpore -Patrick
7 Pod Yellow -HP
7 pod Brain Strain PRF
Star Fish - Big Egg
White Hab -Hot Pooper
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorp Morouga Bigg Egg
Naga Dorset
Yellow Scorpion Cardi- Cmpman1974
Caribean Red
NagaPeno hybrid from Hot Pooper
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Douglah PRF
Bhut-Silver Surfer
Bhut J Chocolate -Patrick
Bhut Carbon -HP
Burkina Yellow Scotch Bonnet -SS
Yellow Rocoto -Josh
Devils Tongue

I will be germinating more soon and have tried my best to keep track of who has given me seeds or what peppers I got the seeds from ext. Most of them that are not marked are from peppers I got from CCN. Now I just have to figure out how to hang the massive 400W ballast I have.

I am going to have to check out the Tagro for sure, that cheap and get it delivered to my pad for about $30. I would spend about 100 clams for 7 yards of stuff, and have enough to make two 4'x16'x2' raised beds!

I will be soon getting a start on my own PNW grow, still have the 7 Pot BS plants going, they are nearly 3 feet tall now, I expect them to get nearly 6 feet tall during the summer!

Good luck on your grow, you can always ask for help if needed!

+1 on terraces.

Check with your local municipality...mine collects all the leaves in the fall and they get piled up and turned. They only charge residents a delivery fee. 8 tons of leaf compost costs $55 versus a landscape supply place that runs $45 for 1 ton. Not everywhere does it, but worth checking into.

Also I have to ask....When you harvest your dehydrated peppers do you soak them in water to get that "fresh" taste???

CA- thanks will check CL out for sure!
OH- I like the style of link 2 very much thanks!
.COM- Thanks! The brindle pup is interested in EVERYTHING!
RSM- Yeah I am looking forward to trying out this tagro very much now. That thing is HUGE Already sure would love to see it at 6 feet! Cool thanks, sure is nice living next to some chili heads finally :)

Jag- thanks will look into that also, I prefer to soak my dehydrated peppers in bourbon gives a nice flavor and adds to the buzz and burn haaha.

Terraces, I have been reading up on these and they seem to be kind of expensive and seem like an insane amount of work to do with a shovel. My thoughts was because it rains all the time in WA was the hill would be good because it will not soak up as much water but I dont think the hill would have a problem getting any water to the roots because of how much it rains here. I may try to mold the hill terrace like, we'll see.

EDIT:

I was a little freaked out to come home from work today and see some of the sprouts came up seed side up, thought they were growing upside down for a minute, thanks Geeme and SS for letting me know that its just "helmet head"! Also I turned up my dehydrator the other day, felt cold, came back a few hours later and you could see the jiffy pellets steaming, may have cooked my seeds. :X

Also I turned up my dehydrator the other day, felt cold, came back a few hours later and you could see the jiffy pellets steaming, may have cooked my seeds. :X

I wouldnt worry yet, they are tough little buggers and they get superhot days in nature where the soil seems to steam. If Helmethead was still alive and kicking the seeds under the soil should be fine.

An update on the helmet head situation, of the two one helmet head I was able to pinch a bit and pull it right off no damage done looks like the chocolate hab will be just fine. The other a starfish plant was decapitated. I started some more seeds last night, double stacked the trays on the dehydrator, seems to be keeping the top one warm enough.

dQn5P.jpg

In the name of being cheap as usual I snagged a few straws from a coffee house and cut them in half to keep track of what is what:

sp1fs.jpg

To try and spark an interest in growing hot peppers I had my sister pick what seeds to plant and it seemed to be semi effective she had fun picking and especially liked the Purple Flash seeds that SS sent. So she will have her own purple flash plant and my brother in law will have his own Douglah plant. Heres what she picked:

Red Scotch Bonnet- HP
Fatalii/Bhut hybrid- Patrick
Douglah- SS
Trin Scorp/Red Savina hybrid- Patrick
Bhut Jolokia- SS
Fatalii
Devils Tongue
Yellow 7 pod- HP
Orange hab/ Bhhut Hybrid- From one I grew last year!
Jamacan Red Scotch Bonnet- SS
Caribean Red
Trinidad Congo- SS
Mystery Seeds
White Hab- HP
Star Fish- Big Egg
Chocolate Bhut- Patrick
7 Pod BS- PRF
Chiapas (African Penquin)- Log Chief
Rocoto- Josh
7 Pod Perfect- Patrick
Trinidad Scorp Morouga- Bigg Egg
Purple Flash- SS
Douglah X2- PRF
7 pod Barrackpore -Patrick

That's quite a list Ryan. Wife flipped over the puppy kisses. Keep me posted on how the Chiapas does, I know OrigamiRN would be curious too.

I know the pain of decapitating helmet heads all too well. I worked out a method of removing the seed case which works well now. First of all you plant the next lot of seeds a little bit deeper.

Wet the helmet and let it soften up. Use tweezers to squeeze it's widest parts together. If you're lucky the case will come apart then. If not, use some nail clippers to take off a tiny sliver of the edge at its thickest point. The outer rim is where the strength is, the inside of the disc is nothing. You do that until the tweezers will take the case off like it is falling away.

Sandgroper Yup my chocolate bhut jolokias sprouted :woohoo: :woohoo:

Yaargh Yeah me too! Hopefully they grow true or give me some other strange peppers.
LC & Nicole Thanks glad you guys like the dogs!
Yeah its a sad thing.

I installed the shelving on the first half and very pleased with it. Sean I've got 3 nagapenos growing :cool:

4y6z1.jpg

Heres a video to show off my other grow log (beard lol).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5RMmOuxPlc

Thanks SG! Sure wish I had the same set up as you lol.
Thanks WR, I was trying to get a dome like effect for maximum capacity, I should be able to fit around 50 in there, hopefully they dont outgrow it too much before I can put them outside, if so I do have a back up storage space that should be able to handle them.
I stole Nicoles idea of Styrofoam cups because it was #1 easy to poke holes in the bottoms and #2 you can write the name right on the cup no little flag or plastic piece sticking out.

Thanks SG! Sure wish I had the same set up as you lol.
Thanks WR, I was trying to get a dome like effect for maximum capacity, I should be able to fit around 50 in there, hopefully they dont outgrow it too much before I can put them outside, if so I do have a back up storage space that should be able to handle them.
I stole Nicoles idea of Styrofoam cups because it was #1 easy to poke holes in the bottoms and #2 you can write the name right on the cup no little flag or plastic piece sticking out.

It's the first year I'm doing it in the cups like that and so far its been great. Last year I started a lot of them in those little dirt pods that you put water on and they get bigger, but the seedlings out grow them so fast and its a pain to repot, why not just start bigger? Also, I feel as though keeping them in something small stunts their growth being that I probably don't repot ASAP. That is just how I feel, could be wrong but that was a reason that I went for the bigger. So far, my seedlings are bigger than they were at this time last year. Who knows the reason.. all I know is that it is working!!

Also as you had said writing the names on the cups is great bc Ive found even when I stick the names in them there was a couple times the name tag got knocked out and I wasnt always sure where it belonged... happy growing!

I know the pain of decapitating helmet heads all too well. I worked out a method of removing the seed case which works well now. First of all you plant the next lot of seeds a little bit deeper.

Wet the helmet and let it soften up. Use tweezers to squeeze it's widest parts together. If you're lucky the case will come apart then. If not, use some nail clippers to take off a tiny sliver of the edge at its thickest point. The outer rim is where the strength is, the inside of the disc is nothing. You do that until the tweezers will take the case off like it is falling away.

Well, Laz I tried Megamoo's surgical technique on one with a stuck helmet this evening. Guess it's better that I had a career as a firefighter and not a brain surgeon. It pulled off about 3/4 of the first two leaves, guess that one will be Tango Uniform. Think I'll just stuff another seed in the cell and see what happens.

Thats friggin' SWEET man!!! I decided not to grow them this year. I dunno why, really. Got SOOOO many other plants going in, so I guess no room. This year is the super hot year for me, then NEXT year I can grow the cool stuff!
Looks AWESOME though man!

It will survive... I pulled pretty well all of the cotyledons off my Poblano and starfish andc they have true leave now... just grew really slowly

Oh bummer LC hope it lives. I think it depends alot on how tight the helmet is too. I remember having this problem last year and think it may have resolved itself, however cannot fully remember, my first set of true leaves are coming in malformed. Thinking it might be because its too close to the light. What do you guys know?
Nf3do.jpg

Back