• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Lazies 2011 grow log

Well I have decided to start a grow log this season. Nothing too exciting to post yet. Started to germinate on the 6th and have a ton of work to do on the hill side garden.

Okay so due not wanting to spend extra money on a heating pad I have the following set up for germination:
Jiffy mini green house on top of my dehydrator on low. Keeps it at the right temp:

SIJP7.jpg

The location of the hill side garden, I figured the hill will work fine because it will not pool up with all the excessive water we get here in Wa:
tratu.jpg

decided to break ground and see what I had to work with in terms of soil. To my dismay the dark soil was something they used to cover nothing but clay and rocks. And if your wondering what is going on with the stakes on the right its because my neighbors have a pit bull that has dug thru the fence and as you can see to the left he started to dig thru again, I spoke with the owners and was advised the dog has never been socialized with other dogs however they will be moving at the end of the month.
MTZ8a.jpg

And yes if you keep up with my grow log you will have to endure random pictures of my dogs:
kvHd4.jpg

I have however come up with a solution to for the soil that will be cost effective. I will be growing lots of vegetables and other things as well but here is my grow list for peppers:
7 Pod Primo
7 pod -Patrick
7 pod Barrackpore -Patrick
7 Pod Yellow -HP
7 pod Brain Strain PRF
Star Fish - Big Egg
White Hab -Hot Pooper
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorp Morouga Bigg Egg
Naga Dorset
Yellow Scorpion Cardi- Cmpman1974
Caribean Red
NagaPeno hybrid from Hot Pooper
Yellow Scotch Bonnet
Douglah PRF
Bhut-Silver Surfer
Bhut J Chocolate -Patrick
Bhut Carbon -HP
Burkina Yellow Scotch Bonnet -SS
Yellow Rocoto -Josh
Devils Tongue

I will be germinating more soon and have tried my best to keep track of who has given me seeds or what peppers I got the seeds from ext. Most of them that are not marked are from peppers I got from CCN. Now I just have to figure out how to hang the massive 400W ballast I have.

Okay Just finished the first stages of building my ballast stand. Here is a picture of what I threw together last year:

24fkn.jpg

I basically went to the hardware store loaded up on 2X4's and started nailing them together. This year I have put a bit more thought into it and am able to still keep it very cheap.

Okay now lets talk about soil, This may put some people off, it did me at first, however before you diss me for it lets take a look at some facts:

TAGRO products meet the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) most stringent standards for their highest rating as "Grade A - Exceptional Quality" biosolids, approved for general use by the public.

"On the local level, fruits, vegetables and flowers that we’ve grown in our TAGRO demonstration garden have reaped more than 120 ribbons, most of them blue, from the Western Washington Fair in Puyallup since we began entering in 1992."

11 ribbons for peppers, 7 blue ribbons.

should only cost like 30 bucks to get a massive amount of this soil, you can read about the nutrients and safety and what not at this website:

http://www.cityoftacoma.org/Page.aspx?nid=306

Yeah there is a ton of water run off, darn swamp down below where the grass is, I have to figure out a way to drain it.
I was thinking more along the lines of keeping the water on the plants,I have planted on a slope before and its hard to get good absorbtion! I went with individual flattened rows, Terraced if you will, but without the wood
Kevin

Hey Laz, good to see your start of the season. That yard looks like a good site when you get it all worked up.

I looked at using some boisolids compost last year, but there was no way to determine how good of quality, how well composted the stuff was. The Tagrow stuff sounds like some pretty good stuff, for a really good price!

And you're really going to save a lot of time at harvest by growing them dehydrated chiles. (Tonly... TOO FUNNY! :rofl: ) Great idea, though, for the heat source.

If you still need to build a framework for the light, consider using PVC pipe. Easy to cut, lots of fittings, and it just comes apart for storage, no need to glue the pieces together.
SL

I was thinking more along the lines of keeping the water on the plants,I have planted on a slope before and its hard to get good absorbtion! I went with individual flattened rows, Terraced if you will, but without the wood Kevin

Sounds cheap and I like cheap :)

SL- thought about PCV but am used to working with wood and got some for very cheap :)

Mega- by kiss I mean they touch their noses to yours no tongue or slobber but it can be cold, the only time my boxer drools is when I have a treat in front of him and its dropping at that point lol.

I am very glad you guys approve of the soil!!!!

Looks like you are playing music for your plants as well. LOL I bet the peppers would like either a good classical Beethoven or maybe a nice techno dance tune. Love the terraced garden… throw in some clay pots and a fire pit and you will be whisked away to Italy every time you go outside. Throw a few grapes up there just for the effect. Looking forward to seeing you test all the peppers you are growing. I am already nervous just thinking about having to start doing it again... that first 7 or scorpion next year is going to be a B&%$#! I'll make sure I send you some peppers this year to test. Good luck!

Okay now lets talk about soil, This may put some people off, it did me at first, however before you diss me for it lets take a look at some facts:

TAGRO products meet the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) most stringent standards for their highest rating as "Grade A - Exceptional Quality" biosolids, approved for general use by the public.

"On the local level, fruits, vegetables and flowers that we've grown in our TAGRO demonstration garden have reaped more than 120 ribbons, most of them blue, from the Western Washington Fair in Puyallup since we began entering in 1992."

11 ribbons for peppers, 7 blue ribbons.

should only cost like 30 bucks to get a massive amount of this soil, you can read about the nutrients and safety and what not at this website:

http://www.cityoftac...ge.aspx?nid=306

Mate, there is nothing wrong with composted human waste the Japanese and chinese have been doing it for thousands of years and often in a raw uncomposted state. I wouldnt do it raw but properly composted it is perfectly safe. The only complication sometimes can be heavy metals.

You kiss your dogs :eek: All that drool :eek: heheheI've always wanted to click that MultiQuote button :rofl:

Here is what I mean by kiss:
Looks like you are playing music for your plants as well. LOL I bet the peppers would like either a good classical Beethoven or maybe a nice techno dance tune. Love the terraced garden… throw in some clay pots and a fire pit and you will be whisked away to Italy every time you go outside. Throw a few grapes up there just for the effect. Looking forward to seeing you test all the peppers you are growing. I am already nervous just thinking about having to start doing it again... that first 7 or scorpion next year is going to be a B&%$#! I'll make sure I send you some peppers this year to test. Good luck!

Sounds like a nice scene! I have a great deck I could enjoy it all from as well. Dont know if I will make any more pepper eating videos but who knows if I have a job with two days off in a row again I just might :beer: If all my plants grow well I would be down to trade some peppers!

Mate, there is nothing wrong with composted human waste the Japanese and chinese have been doing it for thousands of years and often in a raw uncomposted state. I wouldnt do it raw but properly composted it is perfectly safe. The only complication sometimes can be heavy metals.

Thanks for letting me know that! I had never heard of it until I heard of TAGRO, was not sure about it.

Yeah you're right it does sound gross. However if it works it works. I applaud you for giving it a shot.

I wanted to second the use of PVC. I use it and I've been able to change the framework several times to accommodate the growing peppers. It may be slightly more expensive at first but it will last forever--or damn near.

Best of luck to you lazy, looking forward to watching your season progress.

Awesome thanks guys! Will look into the PCV for future needs. Winner Winner chicken dinner! The first to sprout is Seans Nagapeno hybrid! Please grow true little guy.

I had that same thing until the fall of 2008...if you are interested here is the thread that follows the planning and construction...start post 33, finish is post 84...

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/6101-back-yard-transformation-to-urban-garden-fall-2008-project/page__hl__%2Bback+%2Byard+%2Bproject

Now it looks like this....

072910a016.jpg

was expensive but well worth it for us since we won't ever move from this homestead...

That grow box set-up looks a little different from the one on YouTube. What did you do, chop it in half? lol Looks like a DAMN good set-up though man. Seriously.
That soil thing looks good. I was actually just gonna go to a landscaper and get a truckload of topsoil. I will end up putting some worm castings in it, so it will have all of the nutes it needs.
Im hoping that hybrid works out as well. I dont have the room to grow it this year, so keep me posted on how it does.

Thanks SS! Looking forward to yours as well.

AJ Wow what a transformation! I would love to do something like that but this is just a rental and I dont want to put that much work into something for possibly only one season. Great work!

HP- The first large box was what I put together last year, the youtube video is what I put together this year. I LOVE the nagpeno, cant wait to have some growing. Definitely one of the best peppers I have had. I wanted to get a worm farm this year but will have to wait to get some additional funds so will have to buy some worm castings this year for sure.

Hey Laz, great start and great grow log! Check c...list. A guy in Olympia is selling worm castings pretty cheap. There always seems to be worm castings for sale whenever I check.

In some towns, at the landfill they will have leaf compost free to residents.

Here's some links (1, 2) that show how to make your own worm farm.

Back