• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Lee's 2010 WildChilli Grow season

Hi Lee,
I tried many times to germinate the seeds of these varieties:
C.lanceolatum, C.schottianum var. flexuosum, C.tovarii
I have planted many seeds of these varieties, but no seed is born
which is why you think the seeds are too old
To be born should be very fresh
I've never had problems,with sowings of C. Cardenasii
you have any suggestions for me

Luigi

You are correct Luigi. Seed age with wilds is VERY important. :) Not so much with domesticated strains.

Chris

Hi Chris, as you are

I also thought a self incompatibility, that produces sterile seeds
As happens with C. Cardenasii
It has two varieties different, a self-compatible (E1812) and a self-incompatible (SA268)

Thx guys.

Wilds can be hard to germinate and fresh seeds are preferable to achieve higher germinating rates. Seed quality is also a big factor as some pods contain blank/useless seeds, would take forever to germinate those...
It's also good to germinated them at approx. 30 degrees C.

Hi Lee,
I tried many times to germinate the seeds of these varieties:
C.lanceolatum, C.schottianum var. flexuosum, C.tovarii
I have planted many seeds of these varieties, but no seed is born
which is why you think the seeds are too old
To be born should be very fresh
I've never had problems,with sowings of C. Cardenasii
you have any suggestions for me

Luigi

Thx guys.

Wilds can be hard to germinate and fresh seeds are preferable to achieve higher germinating rates. Seed quality is also a big factor as some pods contain blank/useless seeds, would take forever to germinate those...
It's also good to germinated them at approx. 30 degrees C.

Hi Lee

I do not agree on the temperature of germination
I had bad results of germination at those temperatures
it is preferable to germinate at more lower temperatures 26/28 ° C

I had most success with temps. around 30 degrees C. and most Wild growers I know germinate at that temperature. There is a scientific reason for it :) but it's your choice to germinated at any temperature you like.

Anyway good luck with the Wilds.

We will have some night-frost this weekend so decided to take a couple of plants inside. The fruits on these plants haven't fully matured yet.
I've reassembled my growbox and made it taller (about 1,2m) to fit the matured plants.

C.tovarii and C.cardenasii
img2858q.jpg

img2859p.jpg

img2853c.jpg

img2843y.jpg

C.lanceolatum 2009 (17-03-2010)
img0153zp.jpg

C.lanceolatum 2009 (17-10-2010)
Kinda neglected it for months as I was to busy to take care of it. Trimmed a lot of small roots
img2912n.jpg

Thx Chris,
Chilli’s can be grown in many different ways, and I do respect other people's comment's etc.

Anyway transformed one of the plants into a Bonchi.
Mini Mini (C.baccatum)
img2913l.jpg

img2914u.jpg

img2917e.jpg

img2919h.jpg

So are you going to leave it that large, or just waiting for it to take then cut down some more? I always love these little bonchi projects of yours Lee, keep it up.

So are you going to leave it that large, or just waiting for it to take then cut down some more? I always love these little bonchi projects of yours Lee, keep it up.

CAP 1491 Mature pods have dark red color
img2968.jpg

Mini Mini (C.baccatum). Trimmed some branches.. Will see if it will grow some new foliage
img2978b.jpg

C.lanceolatum on a new container
img2981d.jpg

I've put the Bonchi's very close to the lights and we should see some new growth very soon

img3003m.jpg

img2995e.jpg

C.tovarii. Maturing fruits
img2996t.jpg

Last night we had some frost and most plants where not happy. Especially the leaves where damaged but very remarkable is that C.chacoense(CAP 501) and C.flexuosum seemed to have a good tolerance against light frost. All other plants including CAP 1478 are affected but not dead.. yet.
I collected some branches from a few plants and put them on a water filled container inside the house. At least I will harvest some fruits of those plants that are not matured
img3033s.jpg

Transformed more plants into Bonchi's

C.flexuosum. This was the plant I grew indoors on a 1 Liter container. I'm very surprised with the root structure.
img3014i.jpg

img3042j.jpg

Before
img0417m.jpg

Man Lee those things look awesome! Getting peppers from them is a huge bonus. If I get carried away with this hobby I'm going to be looking for someplace to place the blame, hope you don't mind! ;)

Back