List of superhots

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Compiling a list of superhots. Can you help by listing superhots you know of? If you care to you can list the characteristics and SHU as well.

What constitutes a superhot officially? I believe there are different definitions. The term seems to have come about once the bhut became well known, and people wondered what other "super hot" peppers existed. But where is the line drawn? I'd have to say, since Red Savina was once in Guinness as the hottest, and then the bhut took over, and the term started popping up, a superhot is any pepper hotter than a RS. But that's just me.

Do you have a different definition? Please post it.

If there is no official definition let's create one now, and set an minimum SHU.

I agree that there are lottsa very hot peppers,, but what makes a super? IMO most supers have the pimply skin, except the TS which is crazy cause it's hotter than most! That being said I dont think the Yellow CARDII is a super, mostly cause it just aint as hot as others. I dont know what the definition of a super is.. but most of us agree that a Fatalii, Choco hab or RS just isnt in the same class as the supers. Just my 2 cents. As far as a list these are some I am growing this year,
Bhut Jolokia
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
7 Pod Yellow
7 Pod (Jonah)
7 Pod Brain Strain
Douglah
Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend
Trinidad Scorpion
Yellow CARDI Scorpion
7 Pod Chocolate
7 Pod White
7 Pod Barrakpore
7 Pod SR
7 Pod Primo
Assam Bhut Jolokia
Yellow Bhut Jolokia

I know there are many more,, good luck on the list!
Kevin

I believe Dorset Naga is different enough from Naga morich that it can be added.

Mike

I would vote for a shu of 750,000 or more

Are the devil's tongue's different enough to be in there? Either way......i'd say chocolate hab could probably squeak in there. If your tolerance isn't up to snuff, then some of those habs will light you up. Just my opinion

Since the term "superhot" came about fairly recently with the discovery of the different varieties of Bhuts, Nagas, 7-pot/pods, and Scorpions I would say any strain or variety of them would constitute the list. I personally think anything hotter than an orange hab (ie Red Savina, Fatalii etc) would warrant the term superhot, but they have been around and were not called superhots. Therefore, it should be anything hotter than them. I guess if I had to put a SHU on it, I would say anything over 500K.

Some of these go back hundreds of years I am sure, so they have been around, as you put it. Officially tested may be a better way to phrase that.

I guess so. What I really meant was that the habanero was commonly known to most for a long time and was not called a superhot to my knowledge. So, it must have been the discovery by the rest of the world outside of localized areas where the Bhuts, 7's etc were grown that caused the term to become commonplace when referring to these new -to us- peppers.

Probably can go with Red Savina+ as it held a world record at one time. Them and anything hotter.
But Red Savina isn't really that hot, at least no one has duplicated the results recorded by Guinness.

I'd say anything above 600K, that would knock the Choco Hab from the list.

I think anything over 300,000 scovilles would be a super hot. Let's face it, that's hot.
I agree, it's hot, especially when eating a pepper of that class whole (if you dare--I don't). But it seems to me that when using a pepper that supposedly is of that rating or just above, I tend to use 3-5 peppers in my food to get the desired heat level. Meanwhile, with 2 Nagas/Bhuts or Scorpions, it's pretty hot to me (and hot enough), just sometimes a disappointing burn (tongue and back of the throat action, not a whole lot else until #2 the next day...).

Really, I'm not sure if I've desensitized myself to capsaicin *that* much already or what, but sometimes it seems that way. Then I eat a pizza with home-grown jalapenos on it and get my ass kicked like I haven't experienced in months, putting reality into perspective...

But Red Savina isn't really that hot, at least no one has duplicated the results recorded by Guinness.

I'd say anything above 600K, that would knock the Choco Hab from the list.

I agree That a Chocolate Hab is prolly pushing 600k,, Then you get to Bhuts at 900k+,,,BIG difference,,mebbe thats the line!

Does anyone know if Fataliis have ever been tested? I have had some that I am sure are hotter than any habs including choc and RS that I have had. I would guess them at 400-500K.

The guys running the current tests and submission of the Scorpion mentioned the Fatalii at over 300K.

I'm sure I've had a few pods hotter than that, but by how much I couldn't guess.

The term super-hot has been around long before the bhut/nagas came around and was generally used to describe chiles around 250000 to 300000 SHU. 10 years ago the devil's tongue, fatalii, and chocolate "hab" were among the hottest super-hots recorded and were around 300000 SHU
I guess we now need a new term like extreme super-hots for the naga/bhuts and Trini varieties

Although very hot, the red savinas were mostly marketing and hype, and should have never had the Guinness world record. Under normal tests they are around 250000SHU, but even many orange habaneros have been tested around this level or even higher. I don't see it as good advertising for chiles at all, its just one of many past mistakes associated with chiles in the Guinness book, and a lot of people were basically scammed because of it :(

I believe Dorset Naga is different enough from Naga morich that it can be added.

They are the same in my opinion. Dorsets were just Naga morich's that were selectively grown for a couple of years, but it really takes many years to truly create a different variant of any strain. If it were that easy, everybody who grows plants and saves seeds for more than a year would have their own new version with new names

Back