• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

List of superhots

Although very hot, the red savinas were mostly marketing and hype, and should have never had the Guinness world record. Under normal tests they are around 250000SHU, but even many orange habaneros have been tested around this level or even higher. I don't see it as good advertising for chiles at all, its just one of many past mistakes associated with chiles in the Guinness book, and a lot of people were basically scammed because of it :(
I grew them commercially from 2003 till 2005 and they were way hotter than any of the orange habs or caribbean reds that I grew. and consistent too. Choc habs were about the only that came close. i grew a ton of fatalliis too and never had any of them that were as hot.

I grew red savinas for several years too but like many I found the Caribbean reds, fatalii, chocolate "habs", devil's tongue and several other chinenses to be quite a bit hotter.
My big problem is just the exaggerated SHU level they use to make sales. The record setting SHU levels were never duplicated and I've seen them tested only as high as 256341, but everywhere you look they are still listed at an exaggerated 350000-577000 SHU
I'd still say they are super-hots and very productive ones too just over hyped

The fatalis I grew last year seemed to me to be in between orange habanero/caribbean red and bhut jolokia. They definitely felt much hotter than normal orange habaneros, both that I grew and that I've had from various grocery stores and Mexican markets. The caribbean reds didn't seem any hotter than orange habaneros to me, but they tasted a lot better. Then again, I've only grown 2 of each plant, so it's not a great sample size.

Still haven't had a chocolate habanero, but I have some germinating now. :woohoo:

I'm starting some for the first time too! :dance:

Well, I hope they're germinating at least. For some reason none of my chocolate varieties are germinating. :sadpanda:

I have Douglah 7 Pot, Chocolate Habanero, and Chocolate Bhut Jolokia...and I'm O for on all of them after about 10 days. :cry: Not sure why, I have about 20-25 varieties started and every other variety is doing great except for Naga Morich and the 3 chocolates. :(

I started my super hotties Dec 13 by soaking them overnight, then planted 2 of each seeds, one in promix, one in rockwool for my dwc. All my chocolate habs sprouted, one on Dec 24 the other Jan8.
I had 1 Douglah sprout in rockwool but the cap was so tight it wouldn't pop and it rotted - i misted it with a diluted epsom salt to help but it didn't help, i replanted in rockwool Jan 8 and nothing so far in either rock or soil. Both barrackpores sprouted(dec 23 in soil, dec 28 in rockwool) but they are small, real small, abnormally small. Yellow sevens sprouted Dec 20 and 24. Butch T sprouted in soil Jan8 and nothing in rockwool - i put 2 more using baggie method and it looks like 1 has sprouted. Yellow scorps popped Dec 29 & 30. Dorset Naga popped in rockwool Dec 20 and nothing in soil. Choc Bhuts popped dec 25 in rockwool and Jan 3 in soil. Indian bhuts popped Dec 19 & 23. Yellow bhut popped Dec 24 & 30. Bombay morich popped Jan 9, Jan 6 & 8. No locato have popped.

I agree with Potawie. There has been allot of misleading hype that to this day has caused incorrect publications of debunked SCU ratings.

Red Savina's (less than 300,000) and Naga Jolokia (less than 900,00) are good examples. Independent labs have also measured the famed Bhut Jalokia's at only apr 870,000 scu.

http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/bhutjolokia.pdf

The way I see it, and I am sure many here will disagree, any pepper variety that consistently reaches a six digit (100,000) true SHU level of heat should be termed a super hot. Look at it from a non chili-head perspective. A Jalapeño is dang hot, at average 2000-6000SHU. Many non chili-heads would consider this too hot for them, so a pepper in excess of 100,000SHU is suicidal. My first taste of a store bought orange Hab, done while driving 60mph on hwy 167, nearly caused me some major grief. (Almost ran off the road trying to come to a stop so I could see and breathe again!) It was such a shock to the system I was shy about eating a fresh pepper for a few years, sticking to salsas and sauces. Not until recently did I dare to take the plunge again, and I have had fresh Butch T Scorpion on a burger that I really enjoyed, and got the biggest rush from to date. That one made the back of my eyeballs feel like they were on fire.
:mouthonfire:

Labelling heat is a very difficult task but if a 100000 SHU pepper is a super-hot then what do we call a one million SHU pepper which is 10 times hotter?

Well, how about call them "Ultimate Hots?" There's not much over a mil that is going to be edible for all but the very few, or the insane (might be questionable as to where some of us fit too!)

One thing I'd like to throw in here. I do have one weird habanero type chili that I've talked about previously that is WEIRD with a capital W. Just ask Lord Vykor - he tried one and it brought a tear and hours of stomach aches (correct me if I'm wrong Tony :) ). It was sold to me by Bunnings as a habanero - but every other hab I have doesn't come close to this freak of a chili's heat factor.

So back to the SHU argument, maybe its just that...the test sample of the Red Savina (that claimed it was up to 577000 SHU) was a freak. And the original plant was not the same as its brothers and sisters.

Well, how about call them "Ultimate Hots?" There's not much over a mil that is going to be edible for all but the very few, or the insane (might be questionable as to where some of us fit too!)

You don't have to eat every pod whole, you can use them for cooking or sauces etc.

Good question. For years, I thought the Caribbean Red was the gold standard for heat (and flavor). And then some guy (we all know) down in Crosby Ms. sent me seeds of Trinidad Scorpion and 7 pot Jonah. That's now how I define Superhot....

So, where would datil fit in? i have read some stories about their heat level but have never had one myself and my fatalii didn't produce 1 pod in 2010 as i they suffered from flower drop.

So, where would datil fit in? i have read some stories about their heat level but have never had one myself and my fatalii didn't produce 1 pod in 2010 as i they suffered from flower drop.

I think that the Datil is rated at ~100-150 K SKU - about half of the rating for the Caribbean Red. That would seem to agree with my personal experience also. The Datil is a great tasting pepper!

Labelling heat is a very difficult task but if a 100000 SHU pepper is a super-hot then what do we call a one million SHU pepper which is 10 times hotter?

I Like the the "Mega-hot" tag. Seems to fit those neclear pods that break the 1million scoville barrier.

My take:

Super Hots - anything that consistently breaks the 600k barrier

Mega Hots - anything that consistently breaches the 900k barrier...OR just keep that tag only for the Million mark breakers.

I also think everything would sit better if a category were established for those "Honorable scortchers" that lay between the 300 - 600k range which I'd venture to say is outside your normal habenero range. A non-chili head might find anything within this range to be on the scale of insane.

That said, your gonna have peppers of certain categories with "next level potential". So your Choc Habs Or Devil's tongues could have Super hot potential and your Douglah's and 7 pods will have Mega hot potentional.

i like the idea of 100,000 being super hot

can use like "5x super hot" for choco hab(means 500,000)
"10x super hot" for a 1,000,000 like a 7 pod
or "7x- 8x super hot" for a range like 700,000 - 800,000 (naga?)
and i may even understand :crazy: the rating at some such of a description

Back