• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Making sauce in the house with a baby?

I can't get any sauce made in my house because it makes my wife and baby cough cough cough all day. I use vents and open the windows. Still doeesn't help. What else can I do?! Any suggestions? I miss making sauce and am anxious to make more. Thanks

Buy one of those wittle tiny butane camper cookers. They throw off plenty of heat and are dirt cheap. Prolly get one off fleabay for a buck or two :D

+1 for all the above. I think it's gonna have to be an outside project.

maybe if mom and baby leave the house for 6-8 hours, that would be enough time to cook something up and get everything vented.

If your using fresh peppers, freeze them before cooking em. Also a paper towel placed on top of the pot between the lid and pot helps catch some of the airborne particles. Wash the pots outside! Now with all that being said, I wouldn't make sauce while my baby was there if it was having that type of effect.

Yep either send them out or you go outside. Probably not as hygienic outside though. My 4 yr old coughs uncontrollably when I do it even with all the fans and windows on/open, but I can tell him to go play outside, you can't really tell a baby to deal with it. I am going to have the same problem soon with the next one due next month so will be making as much stuff as I can now.
Otherwise borrow someone else's kitchen. I remember when I did that at my mum's house and I used one of her pots. She said that for the next 3 months whenever she cooked in that pot everything was extremely spicy! :lol: So just take your own utensils.

Yep either send them out or you go outside. Probably not as hygienic outside though. My 4 yr old coughs uncontrollably when I do it even with all the fans and windows on/open, but I can tell him to go play outside, you can't really tell a baby to deal with it. I am going to have the same problem soon with the next one due next month so will be making as much stuff as I can now.
Otherwise borrow someone else's kitchen. I remember when I did that at my mum's house and I used one of her pots. She said that for the next 3 months whenever she cooked in that pot everything was extremely spicy! :lol: So just take your own utensils.
Several years ago, on a cold January night on another forum, We had a big discussion about what utensils wouldn't retain the "cap" after cooking sauces in them, Stainless Steel was #1, porcelain coated was #2, glass #3, Aluminum #4 and CI #5. (with #1 being the least retentive and #5 the most)

It was one of those non stick pots, i think a Circulon.
Plastic definately holds a lot of cap also. Used my plasic blender once for sauce, then made a soup a few months later and my son was running for a drink scraming that it had chilli in it. I told him not to be silly bceause I didn't put any in and sit down and then I tasted it. Man was hot, we couldn't even eat it ! :lol:

Don't want to side-track too much here,

in Washington State, porcelain isn't allowed for commercial processing as it can chip and then the chipped area can retain nasties. Personally, it's only SS for our processing as I haven't found a 10 gallon glass pot yet. ;) I've had the same problem as others with plastic blenders and bowls retaining the heat.

A long time ago, I used one of those church-social coffee pots to bottle some hot sauce, and then used it later to serve some hot apple cider.....the cider was "hot" in more ways than C/Fahrenheit! :lol:

Good Luck with your dilemma, Blackseed, it's a good dilemma to have ~

SL

Don't want to side-track too much here,

in Washington State, porcelain isn't allowed for commercial processing as it can chip and then the chipped area can retain nasties. Personally, it's only SS for our processing as I haven't found a 10 gallon glass pot yet. ;) I've had the same problem as others with plastic blenders and bowls retaining the heat.

A long time ago, I used one of those church-social coffee pots to bottle some hot sauce, and then used it later to serve some hot apple cider.....the cider was "hot" in more ways than C/Fahrenheit! :lol:

Good Luck with your dilemma, Blackseed, it's a good dilemma to have ~

SL

Yeah I use s/s for my sauces I sell. Never use aluminium because it reacts with the vinegar. My mum's pot was just for a small batch for a recipe I was experimenting with.

:lol: Were there any funny words coming out from the church? That would've been funny.

Yeah I use s/s for my sauces I sell. Never use aluminium because it reacts with the vinegar. My mum's pot was just for a small batch for a recipe I was experimenting with.

:lol: Were there any funny words coming out from the church? That would've been funny.

Yes, Candice, I'm with you on the non-aluminum or CI for hot sauces...

For the electric hot pot- the "next time" we used the hot pot for serving apple cider was at the farmers market, and there were more than a few eyebrows raised after tasting the "HOT" apple cider! :lol: Salsakid was really young at that time and it was supposed to be "his" thing at the market to sell.

Let's just say, the cider pot did not come back to market after that incident.

:rofl:

Thanks everyone! What a lot of great ideas. But wouldn't you know it, I post the question here when I should have just asked my wife! She said I should wait till he goes to bed. well, did that last night and not a cough from the little guy. His room was clear of all spicy air. Very cool!

Back