• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tutorial Making some puree today...will post pics of the process....it's easy....

Edit: D'oh! I was supposed to put this post in Random facts... My bad!

how long you figure in the water bath? I'm pretty new to canning and all the reading I've done on it kinda scares me re: botulism, etc.

I used a hot water bath to can my puree at a simmer for 15 minutes. There's no meat in this sauce, and the salt and vinegar act together to help preserve it. The sugar (Agave syrup) is just to counter them somewhat and iron out the rough spots in the flavor.

How feasible is it to cut the recipe in half?  I currently have 50 grams of reapers, and this seems the easier route than drying and attempting to powder.  Didn't want to muddy the flavor up by adding other ingredients either.

I have to do something to standardize these things.  Added one to some mango sorbet, it wasn't hot enough.  Added another and couldn't fit enough frozen fruit in the blender to tame it!

Edit:  Don't worry about it.  100 gms of peppers really didn't make much, so I threw the rest in there just to fill it out.  So for any other newbs out there wondering, it would be wise to have at least 200-300 gms of peppers to make this.  It is definitely worth it!

So I don't have a pressure canner or cooker. If I use AJ's recipe and check the pH with an actual digital tester and it's low enough, I can just do the hot water bath for it?

I'm thinking I can. Just because I make hot sauce and the pH is always 4 or lower and I don't have to use a pressure cooker/canner for that.

What an awesome thread and thanks so much for the recipe, AJ.  And thanks to all who shared their makings of the puree..   We know nothing about canning/pressure canner but would still love to make a batch of this.  Could I store this in the refrigerator in a sterilized canning jar for any decent length of time, say a couple mounths or more?   Thanks much for any help.

Hi Rocky :welcome:

AJ's recipe does well in the reefer for a few months in clean jars, and it also freezes well. 

insider tip- put any kind of pulp (chile puree, ground garlic, minced chiles, whatever) in flat zip-loc type freezer bags and freeze the bags flat.  Once frozen, the pulp can be broken and used in small bits as needed.  Keep the rest frozen=all good.

Thanks much for the welcome, SL!

Glad to hear it will last a few months in the reefer as is..  Is there an easy way I can make it last longer?  I'm a total noob to canning/preserving so don't have any supplies even -  would a hot water bath work? seems like something I could handle and not have to invest a lot..  SH peppers are hard to come by up here in WI..  One grocery store has orange habs for 5 dollars a pound but I reckon the quality is just not there like home growns on here but i gotta take what I can..  I love making jerky weekly and have not been thrilled with using the super hot powders for taste so I'm hoping a puree added will kick the tatse of the pepper up..

Thanks for all your help in this thread and all the others I read your kind help in.

Rocky,
the hot water bath works great for this puree recipe.  I think AJ posted details in the original post.  There's also info in the Making Hot Sauce 101 about the Hot Water Bath.  No special equipment needed.

SL

salsalady said:
Rocky,
the hot water bath works great for this puree recipe.  I think AJ posted details in the original post.  There's also info in the Making Hot Sauce 101 about the Hot Water Bath.  No special equipment needed.

SL
This recipe looks great! Very simple. Is it shelf stable at the current proportions without pressure canning?

Thanks.

Good job sir! This is definitely a great recipe. I made my first batch last night. I used 300 grams of habanero and 100 grams of thai pepper. I got about 2.5 8 oz jars of puree out of this. The puree has just a touch of sweetness and its HOT. I'll definitely make this again. Thanks.

Did a Morouga puree the other day. Reduction/fumigation was taking longer then bearable(even with ventilation) so I turn up the heat to speed it up. Scorched the bottom and had to break out the mask. Ended up with a nice puree that has a slight tint of cooked flavor. Rocks when spread on burgers.

Sweaty Burgers with an Evil Rum&Co = Masochistic Heaven

I suppose this thread will pop up again during harvest season and I need to tell you folks something...

pressure canning is NOT hard and is not hard to learn....and it is only dangerous if you don't watch the pressure and time...

Balls complete book to home canning is all you will ever need concerning preserving things...it covers hot water bath canning and pressure canning...

someone in an earlier post said something about botulism....that is specifically why I pressure can....even pressure canning doesn't kill the botulism spores from what I have read but it slows their growth down almost to zero....

link to balls complete book of home canning...

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314

Thank you AJ for bringing your recipe and process back for those who are interested in making a shelf safe puree/mash.
Your tutorial is a "Go-to" for me. And I use it for all my canned puree's "hands down"( me & my fellow Hot Sauce" friends have jars in the fridge and on our shelves as we speak.)
The science is right...the process is solid and safe, and the flavor/heat of the chosen pepper blend is maintained.
When anyone posts a question about how to pressure can a puree be it fermented or fresh....... your"fool proof" recipe and tutorial is the one they should be following...hands down.
Just one man's opinion. 
Thank You
CM

DEFCON Creator said:
AJ, good to see you post man, I haven't spoken to you in probably a couple years. How you been, man?

good brother....it has been a couple of years but it won't be that long again in the future...you got any Zero left over from the past couple of years....?

Chili Monsta said:
Thank you AJ for bringing your recipe and process back for those who are interested in making a shelf safe puree/mash.
Your tutorial is a "Go-to" for me. And I use it for all my canned puree's "hands down"( me & my fellow Hot Sauce" friends have jars in the fridge and on our shelves as we speak.)
The science is right...the process is solid and safe, and the flavor/heat of the chosen pepper blend is maintained.
When anyone posts a question about how to pressure can a puree be it fermented or fresh....... your"fool proof" recipe and tutorial is the one they should be following...hands down.
Just one man's opinion. 
Thank You
CM

thank you for your kind words CM, however, like I said, the original recipe came from BB back several years ago....the older members will know who I'm talking about...that Aussie was a pepper growing fool...all I have done is to put the pressure canning technique with the recipe and it works...I don't even check the pH anymore since I know it will turn out about 3.8 when I stick to my recipe...and pressure canning plus a pH of 3.8 gives the jars an extended shelf life....I think I have some I put up about 5 years ago that is still good...

Back