• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

meatfreak said:
I use this to add when cooking. It's a bit to thick to use as a sauce but you could add when making a sauce also of course :) I find it actually not that hot, the heat mellowed down after processing the pods and adding some other ingredients. I'm gonna make some more later this week when I seed the scorps and bonnets I harvested this weekend. I dry the yellow brain strains for flakes or powder to maybe sell in my shop or give away as a taster.

Do you have a recipe for this wonderful looking puree Meatfreak?

With all the harvesting and seeding there's not much time left to spend over here, also got some things in the loop that take their fair share of time as well :) First of all! Last night my wife gave birth to our beautiful son which we named Lars. He caught us by surprise by getting born 3 weeks earlier. Still everything went pretty smooth and both are in good shape. He weight 6 lbs and was 50 cm long. Feel very blessed with now both a daughter and son!

gnslngr said:
Well Stefan,
When I'm away for bit(bit is an understatement!), what escapes me most is the pleasure I get from seeing other peoples grows.So, afew comments:
1). I have never seen so many Jalapeno varieties......I was going to add "nice corking" as well, but I'd sound like an echo, a truthful echo nonetheless!
2). What is the peach colored pod in the green bucket above the toads?
3). Connecting the kids to the earth is something now where near enough people do, you get bonus points for that.
4). The productivity of your BB7's, is probably do to the latitude.
5). I am saving half of the yellows for powder this year-usually powder is the relm of the Browns/Blacks for me, but after tasting some of HighAlts yellow powder last year...I'm sold on the Yellows for powder. I will try to roast some(no smoke per say) and see how that works.
Fine bit (understating again;LOL)of work you've done this year!
Have a good one-
DJ
Cheers, Dave! I must admit I was getting a bit overwhelmed when processing all these pods. This year, although it stay cold for a longer period, was the best one so far. The peach colored you mention is the Maldivian Orange x Pimenta de Neyde cross. Very neat color transition of the pods, taste is subtle Chinense with some fruity aroma. Heat is about the same as a Hab.

IMAG3420.jpg

PeriPeri said:
Wow, stunning harvest Stefan... green with envy my friend!
Thanks, Lourens. I hope to say the same thing to you once you hit the harvest mode ;)

ronniedeb said:

Do you have a recipe for this wonderful looking puree Meatfreak?
You have to check Stickman glog for this recipe, he's had a wonderful season with pictures and recipes.

Spicegeist said:
Not sure if I missed it, but did you get any shots of the ripe Mustard Bhuts?
I made some but this one wasn't really prolific, it's not the plant fault. The other plants overgrown so it didn't get as much sun/direct light. I got multiple pods ripening off now.
IMAG3399.jpg

Thanks, guys. Mom and son are still in the hospital since he refuses to drink milk. He got some amniotic fluid into his mouth on the way out which makes him nauseous :( Sure hope he starts to drink soon.

It’s a boy, congrats \o/

Hab a Cigar brethren …

»» Foobar2k ::: Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975) - 03 - Have A Cigar ::: 2:16/5:25 (••••••••••) ::: 576 kbps «« [SIZE=12pt]♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪[/SIZE]

Pods looking great and hope you get Mom & Son home soon ... hab an awesome weekend with da family ^_^

meatfreak said:
With all the harvesting and seeding there's not much time left to spend over here, also got some things in the loop that take their fair share of time as well :) First of all! Last night my wife gave birth to our beautiful son which we named Lars. He caught us by surprise by getting born 3 weeks earlier. Still everything went pretty smooth and both are in good shape. He weight 6 lbs and was 50 cm long. Feel very blessed with now both a daughter and son!

Congratulations to you and your Lady Stefan... Most excellent news! It sounds like you'll be too busy to get gloomy about the end of the growing season... ;)

You have to check Stickman glog for this recipe, he's had a wonderful season with pictures and recipes.

Thanks for the kind words Stefan, but I actually got the recipe from this thread in the sauce-making forum... http://thehotpepper.com/topic/32602-making-some-puree-todaywill-post-pics-of-the-processits-easy/?hl=%20aj

Cheers!

Congratulation Stefan and your family :dance: :dance: :dance:. One dancer to you, Mrs and that little gorgeous helper and now Lars.

:party: Indeed it is best news to see a new arrival, second to None (not even Peppers Growing)

Thanks everyone for your kind words and blessing! Really appreciate it, just got back from the hospital since his condition got worse this afternoon. He's being monitored and they had to made multiple x-ray photo's to see what the problem was. Turns out it wasn't the fluid but something with his intestines, constipated which caused him to throw up and not wanna eat. They removed a meconium plug, after that he slept and started to fill up a couple of diapers :) He looked a lot better and wanted to eat. Still gotta stay in the hospital and run some more tests tomorrow but things looked a lot better when we left.. Really makes you feel useless when your child is laying there like that.

stickman said:

Congratulations to you and your Lady Stefan... Most excellent news! It sounds like you'll be too busy to get gloomy about the end of the growing season... ;)

Yeah, your absolutely right about that Rick :) I still got 2 buckets of ripe Jalapeno's left to de seed from the harvest of 2 weeks ago. The weather this week was absolutely great, with around 67F during the day and 55F at night! Saw a lot of ripe pods and almost every green pods is ripening of. Also a ripe pod on my Pubescens! Those have grown a lot since the weather got cooler. When things settle down with Lars I will have some more time on my hands again and make 1 last big harvest before frost hits us.

What wonderful news. Bumps in the road build strong character and strong men. He will be just fine. Babies are sooo resilient and stronger than we think. Blessings to the wife Sofie and the new bundle of wonderfulness

Sanarda said:
What wonderful news. Bumps in the road build strong character and strong men. He will be just fine. Babies are sooo resilient and stronger than we think. Blessings to the wife Sofie and the new bundle of wonderfulness
Thanks, Pia. You were right, he has proven to be resilient these last few days :)

Datil said:
Congrats for the newborn Stefan, i'm sure he will recover fast!

All the best

Datil
Grazie, Fabio!

Since he was doing so well he was allowed to come home with us yesterday :D He's in full baby mode now, crying, eating and shitting :lol: His eyes are still a bit swollen up but he opened them for the first time today.

IMAG3487.jpg

On pepper news, I managed to harvest the first Pube pod today, CGN 22796 There's even more ripening off and we don't have frost for another 2 weeks. Also the rest of my plants are loaded with ripe pods, will have to do small harvest to be able to process them all.
IMAG3500.jpg

Back