• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

Dam sad to read about this disease, can you post some pictures and as much info about it, hopefully someone here could identify and inform us all. I wish you lots of luck in dis battle mon! Some of the plants I have that have had mites are getting a form of leaf rot, so far I've been cutting them off and the new growth doesn't show it but who knows as they get larger. Would like to see how it looks when it hits your plant stem too if possible.

WalkGood said:
Dam sad to read about this disease, can you post some pictures and as much info about it, hopefully someone here could identify and inform us all. I wish you lots of luck in dis battle mon! Some of the plants I have that have had mites are getting a form of leaf rot, so far I've been cutting them off and the new growth doesn't show it but who knows as they get larger. Would like to see how it looks when it hits your plant stem too if possible.
Dang, If I would have read this earlier. I just pulled out 2 sick ones earlier this evening. Hopefully those were the last 2, but if more follow I will take some pictures of it. It's like a brown/grayish blister marks on the stem. 

NorwegianChili said:
May it be from the cold weather you had? 
Well it's actually occurring on the plants that are inside and never been outside, so it's very strange.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Bacterial Wilt? I lost a row and a half last year to that awful disease. I hope I did enough to the soil to rid the affected area. 

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/plantpath/extension/clinic/fact_sheets/index.php?do=disease&id=21

Thanks for your help, it's not wilting. It looks like some kind of mold (brown spots) or bad leaf spot but different.

IMAG2637.jpg

IMAG2638.jpg

romy6 said:
 Man Stefan that is awful. I sure wish I could help. Just tell that nasty virus to stay away from the annuums  :confused:
I did, Jamie :) Also prayed for my Pubescens and Baccatums, would love to taste those this season.

I am having the exact same problem. I thought since I smoke that it was TMV. I still don't know what it is. I took off the infected leaves.

Hey Stefan! Long time no talk. Been real busy across the pond. I would suggest posting a separate thread on the leaf issue to see if some of the pepper gurus have any idea as to it's cause and remedy. It seems like I get issues like that but once they get rooted outside, the stuff takes care of itself. Last year I took the leaves off everyone because I was so freaked out but the plants still came in monster.

Everything looks good despite your weather and spot setbacks. I'll be lurking periodically to see how the grow goes my friend. Here's hoping for hot sunny weather and a long season!

Hey Stefan, did you happen to use different soil for your chinense? Not sure if you start them earlier than your other varieties like some of us. Not trying to drag this sore subject along,just hoping you get it narrowed down. Were they seeds from your own stock or purchased/traded?

Sethsquatch said:
Hey Stefan! Long time no talk. Been real busy across the pond. I would suggest posting a separate thread on the leaf issue to see if some of the pepper gurus have any idea as to it's cause and remedy. It seems like I get issues like that but once they get rooted outside, the stuff takes care of itself. Last year I took the leaves off everyone because I was so freaked out but the plants still came in monster.

Everything looks good despite your weather and spot setbacks. I'll be lurking periodically to see how the grow goes my friend. Here's hoping for hot sunny weather and a long season!

Hey Seth, thanks for visiting, I know it's been a while. Lately I'm struggling more and more to keep up to date also, the days are literally flying by. Work, family and every minute I have I spend in the garden. I've been thinking about those spots and I'm not 100% sure if I'm correct but I think found the cause. The thing is once I potted them from the seedtray, I only gave them fertilizer once in the 3 months they are in the pot.  I don't know if it's possible but maybe it's cannibalism? The plant eating itself :lol: anyway I hope that's the case so when I do plant them out like you said, everything okay again. I was close to finishing my second poly tunnel but things got in the way so it's delayed to sunday :( The weather has turned this week and summer is finally ON  :dance:
Pr0digal_son said:
Hey Stefan, did you happen to use different soil for your chinense? Not sure if you start them earlier than your other varieties like some of us. Not trying to drag this sore subject along,just hoping you get it narrowed down. Were they seeds from your own stock or purchased/traded?

Hey John, I didn't use different soil, it's all from the same batch. I didn't start them at the same time as the Annuum, Pubescens, Baccatum this year. The seeds were from different sources from trades but I don't believe it's genetic. Thanks for thinking for a solution!
Don't have much to show since everything is still in the small P12 pots. I stopped nipping the flowers, so some of the plants have pods now and flowering. This Jalabanero F4 surprised me when the flower started to open. Both parents have white flowers so I guess it's crossed with something else.

IMAG2695.jpg

IMAG2697.jpg

IMAG2696.jpg

Not the best pictures since it was hard to focus with my smartphone camera ;) The rest of the plant looks Chinense so I can't wait what's gonna grow on it :)

hey meat... picked up some indigo maters.. so FYI.. hope yours are looking like this

hope all is well.. i shall share the seeds if yours dont grow true

Wow! The Jalabaneros were on the outside row. On one side of it in the row was 6 Jalapeno Biker Billy plants and on the other side in the same row was 3 Holy Mole plants. One row over next to it had 7 Pod SR strain and 7 Pod Orange, the whole next door row was 7 pod. The only thing that had purple flowers in the garden last season were C. Pubescens and they aren't supposed to cross.

How many of those do you have growing this year? It's still unstable being an F4, so maybe it's just a throw back to something else in it's gene pool.

At any rate it surely looks cool and I'd love to have some of the seed. :)

Hope your plant affliction is cured.

Pr0digal_son said:
That is really cool. Definitely is flowering like a chinense,minus the color.

Yeah, it does, lots of buds nearby. The purple color looks a lot like the Chinese 5 Color, only the flowers of that one are purple outside the petals also.

stc3248 said:
Really cool flower!!! Rockin it over here I see! I'm sorry I am late to the party!!! I got so caught up in the MY CONTENT section I haven't been surfing the glog area.

Thanks, Shane, don't be sorry your here now  :cheers: there's not much to show yet but hopefully that will change in another month :D

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
hey meat... picked up some indigo maters.. so FYI.. hope yours are looking like this

hope all is well.. i shall share the seeds if yours dont grow true
Hey Deniz, mine aren't so dark purple as yours on the picture but they are purple. Since the delay of setting up the garden the tomatoes suffered and had a setback. I'm embarrassed to show you mine so I'll wait till they have bounced back ;) I got about 30 tomato plants in ground now, have another 15 to do.

Silver_Surfer said:
Wow! The Jalabaneros were on the outside row. On one side of it in the row was 6 Jalapeno Biker Billy plants and on the other side in the same row was 3 Holy Mole plants. One row over next to it had 7 Pod SR strain and 7 Pod Orange, the whole next door row was 7 pod. The only thing that had purple flowers in the garden last season were C. Pubescens and they aren't supposed to cross.

How many of those do you have growing this year? It's still unstable being an F4, so maybe it's just a throw back to something else in it's gene pool.

At any rate it surely looks cool and I'd love to have some of the seed. :)

Hope your plant affliction is cured.

I sowed 3 seeds, 2 germinated so I got 2 plants of it. The one with the purple flowers is a lot bigger then the other one and it has a purplish color on the stem/leaves. The other one is green like it should be. I will definitely keep an close eye on this one and try to isolate some fruits for seeds. The plant affliction looks under control, I think it was the lack of attention and fertilizer  :rolleyes: Next week I'm gonna plant out my pepperplants  :dance:

Hi Stefan,
   Glad to hear you've turned the corner and spring has finally warmed up for you. This has been a crazy season so far hasn't it? Hope your time-flow management simplifies soon... I'm looking forward to seeing how your chiles do after you transplant them outside. Cheers!

That is great news Stefan. I have had the exact same issues with my plants when I get a lot of rain. It most likely flushes all the nutrients  Good luck brother,  It is all down hill from here!!!

stickman said:
Hi Stefan,
   Glad to hear you've turned the corner and spring has finally warmed up for you. This has been a crazy season so far hasn't it? Hope your time-flow management simplifies soon... I'm looking forward to seeing how your chiles do after you transplant them outside. Cheers!
It certainly has been a crazy season so far, Rick. Thank god the frost is gone now and we can start to enjoy watching everything grow and of course the sun :D

romy6 said:
 That is great news Stefan. I have had the exact same issues with my plants when I get a lot of rain. It most likely flushes all the nutrients  Good luck brother,  It is all down hill from here!!!
Yeah, to much rain can do that but now it hasn't rain for over 2 weeks and the ground is rock solid. The complaining doesn't never stops when your a gardner :lol:

Small update before I start planting out. Today I put up the poly sheet over the tunnel, still got some work on it but expect to start planting out by the end of this week.
IMAG2701.jpg

IMAG2707.jpg

IMAG2708.jpg

Aji Pineapple bonchi starting to set a lot of pods, it's not even an bonchi anymore. Kinda need to trim this one back :lol:
IMAG2709.jpg

Some more Jalabanero F4 flower shots, I need to get me a better camera because when I saw John's pictures I'm afraid to put these up ;)
IMAG2710.jpg

IMAG2711.jpg

Chinese 5 Color thought the Jalabanero could have been crossed with this one but the flower is obviously different.
IMAG2713.jpg

IMAG2714.jpg

Look at this monster :lol: so cute :)
IMAG2712.jpg

Not a pepper but a veggie called Snake Radish ( Raphanus sativus var. caudatus).
IMAG2706.jpg

Stefan, love all the beautful flowering shots, they look great! Fantastic to read that you have the plant affliction under control, I know how that can bum one out till you get it resolved. I'm lovin the garden shots showing the perfect rows next to the hoop house, pics are great ...

Keep up dis killer grow and I can see you'll be burried in pods this season!

Back