• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

Very cool Stefan! I'm glad to see you're all in-ground now, and able to thumb your nose at the cool weather since you can trap heat with the hoophouse. Boy, your Chilhuacles are really producing a lot of flowers about now... Mine are too, so I guess it's a prolific variety, but well done all around! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out here to see how you do. Cheers!

Congrats on finishing the plant out Stefan, hope dem scotch bonnets rebound great for you, dem tasty pods for sure! The pictures look great, love the layout and can’t wait to see a pod producing jungle in dat hoop house \o/

GnomeGrown said:
I'll drink to your success.

:cheers:

Cheers :)
Peptacular said:
Awesome spread! Glad to see no more problems with spotting.
Thanks, don't be a stranger and make sure to drop by in a few weeks for pod updates :lol:

stickman said:
Very cool Stefan! I'm glad to see you're all in-ground now, and able to thumb your nose at the cool weather since you can trap heat with the hoophouse. Boy, your Chilhuacles are really producing a lot of flowers about now... Mine are too, so I guess it's a prolific variety, but well done all around! I'll definitely be keeping an eye out here to see how you do. Cheers!
Yeah those Chilhuacles are very prolific indeed but I kinda want them to grow a bit more first before they start to pod up. Your Chimayo are doing very well, talking about prolific ;)

PeriPeri said:
Wow Stefan, what a set up and what a grow log to date. Your plants are looking great. Glad you got over the brown measles... but what a journey so far my friend! Awesome!
Thanks for dropping by, Lourens. It's been quite the effort so far and it has taken a lot of time but now that's everything in place it's time to enjoy again. Don't need to tell you how much work it is, seeing your growlog last season :)

WalkGood said:
Congrats on finishing the plant out Stefan, hope dem scotch bonnets rebound great for you, dem tasty pods for sure! The pictures look great, love the layout and can’t wait to see a pod producing jungle in dat hoop house \o/
Me either, Ramon. Although some Bonnets are still small plants they are flowering and a couple varieties got some pods hanging. Like the Scotch Bonnet Foodarama, Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red, both plants have different kind of pods. One has dark green pods and the other one are lightgreen and different shaped. If I remember correct the Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt has a couple of pods also :) I'm really looking forward to tasty some Scotch Bonnets, all these stories sure have made me curious :D

I was talking in Stickman's glog about his Gochu pepper that has been kind of twisty over here. Could be the lack of attention from the last 2 months before the plant out what caused this, it looks weird though. The plant itself doesn't seem to care that much since it's forming pods :lol:

IMAG2785.jpg

Don't mind the white spots on the plants, that's from the copper solution I sprayed yesterday as a precaution for BLS.

Ramon, here's some Scotch Bonnet's in progress :lol:

SB Foodarama (midwestchilehead)
IMAG2787.jpg

Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" (PIC1)
IMAG2790.jpg

Maldivian White - plant 1
IMAG2789.jpg

Maldivian White - plant 2. This one looks more like a Pimenta de Neyde...
IMAG2788.jpg

As you can see on the pictures, I kinda overdid the spraying a bit  :oops:

Some non-pepper stuff.

Made some strawberry pies this week from own harvest.

For when the (pregnant) wife has cravings ;)
IMAG2773.jpg

And a big one for my parents.
IMAG2774.jpg

Tomatillo's are starting to produce.
IMAG2793.jpg

Looks like the garlic is almost ready for harvest.
IMAG2772.jpg

Wow, I've never seen them do that before Stefan! They're all doing it too... I'll be keeping an eye out to see what you end up getting, but for now I'm stumped. :think:  At least you know you'll be getting pods from them.

Pictures are beautiful... both the peppers and the nons... I hope your wife appreciates the "dainties" !

Do you do anything with the Garlic scapes? I see them twisting around on top of the stalks. I like to snap them off and use them in things like bean dip or pesto.

Cheers!

Awesome my friend! Your plants are really beautiful, even though the one has a mind of its own. I love the pod forming on the Scotch Bonnet, going to be a good classic shape I think. Nice man, keep pushing on and you will be swimming in lava :D

That Maldivian White is definitely a Pimenta de Neyde. I had seeds for a Pimenta de Neyde last season and it was something else lol

Stefan. Becareful with that bubblegum. They spreads and bush out without any trimming. Mine is 3' wide and only 2'.

Soon ill be able to send you true osu indigo mater seeds. They are a bitch air layering. I've had no issues before with other maters Cept this one. Real thick stalks and not growing much.

Sorry everyone for not replying sooner, these last few days have been very busy. With work, situation at home and maintaining of the garden there's not much time left. Luckily the plants have started to show new growth so there roots are adjusted to their new home. Here's some podshots.

Overview, ground temperature was still 84F at 8pm this evening :)
IMAG2830.jpg

Chimayo (Stickman)
IMAG2809.jpg

Chilhuacle Negro
IMAG2812.jpg

Chilhuacle Rojo (Windchicken)
IMAG2810.jpg

Guajillo
IMAG2813.jpg

Piment d'Espelette
IMAG2811.jpg

Biker Flames F2
IMAG2814.jpg

Jalabanero F4 (SilverSurfer) Color of the unripe pods is purple/brownish, very cool.
IMAG2815.jpg

Bubblegum 7 F3
IMAG2818.jpg

Jalapeño varieties
IMAG2817.jpg

I've been slacking on update reading lately, Stefan those pies look delish!
Your plants are throwing out pods nicely. Have you tried any of the Jalapenos........I'm just curious on their heat level. The pods on my plants pick up better heat later in the season. Hope all is well on the home front.

PIC 1 said:
I've been slacking on update reading lately, Stefan those pies look delish!
Your plants are throwing out pods nicely. Have you tried any of the Jalapenos........I'm just curious on their heat level. The pods on my plants pick up better heat later in the season. Hope all is well on the home front.
Yeah, I know what you mean, Greg. I do read the updates but just don't reply that much. I haven't tried any Jal's yet, there not fully unripe yet ;) It was the same here last season, later in season the pods were hotter and it also depends on what the conditions are. High or low temperature have influence on their heat level. Your Waialua is doing great and wanted to branch out everywhere it could. Had to remove some from below the forking ;) Won't be long before the first pod is formed. All is well at the home front but the wife is having a hard time with the pregnancy. Some physical complainants, so I try to ease her workload as much as possible which causes less sleeping time for me. It's going well with the baby though, gonna be a big one :)

PeriPeri said:
Hey Stefan... nice Scotch Bonnets coming on. Love the folds already visible ;)

Cheers, Lourens. I also love how they look and hearing all those promising stories on how they taste. Can't wait to try for myself :lol: I noticed today that my "Fish" had some small pods on them and saw that they actually were variegated. It still doesn't show in the leaves however, maybe later when the plant get's bigger.

meatfreak said:
Yeah, I know what you mean, Greg. I do read the updates but just don't reply that much. I haven't tried any Jal's yet, there not fully unripe yet ;) It was the same here last season, later in season the pods were hotter and it also depends on what the conditions are. High or low temperature have influence on their heat level. Your Waialua is doing great and wanted to branch out everywhere it could. Had to remove some from below the forking ;) Won't be long before the first pod is formed. All is well at the home front but the wife is having a hard time with the pregnancy. Some physical complainants, so I try to ease her workload as much as possible which causes less sleeping time for me. It's going well with the baby though, gonna be a big one :)

Cheers, Lourens. I also love how they look and hearing all those promising stories on how they taste. Can't wait to try for myself :lol: I noticed today that my "Fish" had some small pods on them and saw that they actually were variegated. It still doesn't show in the leaves however, maybe later when the plant get's bigger.
Fish peppers are just great. You get some that are more cream than striped and those can be used for a cream chilli sauce. They taste awesome on their own though. Great heat and wonderful alternative from the old Jalapeno. The Green ones have a nice herbacious flavour to them.

hmm strawberry pies, maters, wild haired garlic,  great progression of growth via pictures and now pods \o/ You are set for a boom harvest dis season, every ting looks awesome!

Love da look on the little SB forming, going to be a beauty! Have a great Saturday ^_^

Just went thru your whole glog, as it continues to rain here. Sweet hoop houses! A ton of work, but worth it! Everything is coming around. Looking forward to seeing you harvest some pods. Awesome selection of plants.
Jason

Back