• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

Pr0digal_son said:
Didn't know you had that much room Stefan,I just remember the inside shots of the polytunnel last season. I like how that one jalabanero flower has the white streak,would be cool tho get that more uniform on each petal.

That would be cool yeah, John but think we first have to see what kind of pods it's gonna form. I'm also curious about that part :) Last year's polytunnel was 9 times smaller, I bought this one at the end of last season. It's 100m² in total but I divided it up into 2 separated ones so I get better airflow, can rotate the crops and it warms up faster. Also tomatoes tend to get diseases quicker then peppers so I got those 2 separated. The biggest one is 50m² and dedicated to all the sweet and hot peppers I have this season :lol: The other one 40m² (in the front) is for my tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, pickles and yard long beans.

Man, I love your grow, Stefan! I really like the way you do things..Everything looks wonderful!

I can't believe it's been so long since I stopped by here...Did you ever get your leaf issues resolved?

windchicken said:
Man, I love your grow, Stefan! I really like the way you do things..Everything looks wonderful!

I can't believe it's been so long since I stopped by here...Did you ever get your leaf issues resolved?

Welcome back, Gary :lol: I did not completely yet but I got an good hunch what the problem is. The lack of fertilizer I suspect since I didn't gave them any for almost 3 months now.

I know my container plants really love the juice...Especially that Miracle Gro LiquaFeed hose end feeder—I call it my "nitrogen crack pipe," cause if I forget to use it for a few weeks or so the plants start jonesing, and begin to look real sad...or even worse, the BLS starts creeping in...

windchicken said:
I know my container plants really love the juice...Especially that Miracle Gro LiquaFeed hose end feeder—I call it my "nitrogen crack pipe," cause if I forget to use it for a few weeks or so the plants start jonesing, and begin to look real sad...or even worse, the BLS starts creeping in...

Yeah, I should have known that was the reason. I've been a slacker when it comes to taking care of the plants these last months! Hopefully that problem will solve itself when I plant them out into the soil. That will start this Friday, need to put up the trellis tomorrow for all the plants, gonna take some hours to get that done :lol:

Finished off the last polytunnel last week, so today I could finally begin with the plant out :) The damn weeds had took over inside so I spend some good amount of time on removing those first :(

The intention was to plant out only 2 plants but since it was one big rootball I didn't wanna disturb the roots to much.
IMAG2729.jpg

IMAG2732.jpg

IMAG2731.jpg

Not peppers but also planted out my Tomatillo's.
IMAG2730.jpg

The strawberries are starting to turn color, decent sized for their first year.
IMAG2728.jpg

The rest will be plant out this week  :dance:

saugapepper said:
Wow!! You have strawberries already?!?!?! They don't get ripe here in Canada until the third week of July at the earliest. Fantastic stuff Stefan.
Happy Father's Day!
Yeah, about a dozen are already ripe but I let them hang a couple more days to get the full flavor. There's more coming so can't complain since the season is about a month behind. This week they are talking about temperatures of 94F, it's a bit insane if you ask me.

stickman said:
Alright Stefan! And so it begins... Everything you showed looks good, so you should be off to a flying start. Cheers

Cheers, Rick. Your right, now it's time to set roots and get those pods on :) The ones on the picture are all kinds of different Jalapeno varieties, got about 8 more to do tomorrow. I'm gonna put the Chinense plants in the middle of the tunnel, the temps are higher there so they can't complain it's not warm enough ;)

Stefan I know I said it before but I love the size and look of your hoop house, seems like a lot of space, great job and the weeds look gone. I hate dem pesky weeds, always hard for me to keep up on how many we get here ... Plant out in there going good, they look happy and I’m sure they will reward you with plenty of great pods! The color on your strawberries is wonderful, great job on everything ^_^

May the Pepper Jah be with your plant out the rest of the week, have a great one!

Looking good Stefan! Does the hoop house stay up all season? Keep the pix coming!

The Doux Tres Longs you sent me are pumping out the très longs piments rouges. Looks like they may produce through the summer...Pix soon.

Stefan,
I'm liking those photos in post #157. Polytunnels look great and professionally done. Your plants will still be kicking out pods long after I've ripped out my season ending plants. How many pepper plants will you end up with ? 

meatfreak said:
 The ones on the picture are all kinds of different Jalapeno varieties, got about 8 more to do tomorrow. I'm gonna put the Chinense plants in the middle of the tunnel, the temps are higher there so they can't complain it's not warm enough ;)
Excellent! We'll be watching... And I'm also looking forward to seeing what you make with your harvest. Cheers!

WalkGood said:
Stefan I know I said it before but I love the size and look of your hoop house, seems like a lot of space, great job and the weeds look gone. I hate dem pesky weeds, always hard for me to keep up on how many we get here ... Plant out in there going good, they look happy and I’m sure they will reward you with plenty of great pods! The color on your strawberries is wonderful, great job on everything ^_^

May the Pepper Jah be with your plant out the rest of the week, have a great one!

Cheers, Ramon. I'm very happy with the tunnels also, it was a lot of work but it will pay off this and the following seasons. Last year I could extend my season till late October. Yeah, don't even get me started about those weeds. With some patience they will be gone for good once everything is removed and out of the soil. Plants are still looking happy even with the extreme temps the last few days, 94F. For us that's extremely high :lol:

Yesterday I picked some strawberries for the ladies, didn't even get a chance to taste :lol: At the end of the season I'm gonna double the amount of strawberrie plants.
IMAG2735.jpg

windchicken said:
Looking good Stefan! Does the hoop house stay up all season? Keep the pix coming!

The Doux Tres Longs you sent me are pumping out the très longs piments rouges. Looks like they may produce through the summer...Pix soon.

Yeah, Gary it stays up all season and hopefully the foil will last at least 5 seasons more. Just keep maintain it well and keep it clean. Once I'm done with the plant out I will take some pics :)

Silver_Surfer said:
Plant out is lookin' mighty fine. Sounds like wacky weather has visited you too but ya just shrug it off.

Will be pickin' a few of your penos (El Jefe) soon. :)

Nothing that beer can't fix, right ;) Let me know what ya think of em, they were my favorites last season.

PIC 1 said:
Stefan,
I'm liking those photos in post #157. Polytunnels look great and professionally done. Your plants will still be kicking out pods long after I've ripped out my season ending plants. How many pepper plants will you end up with ? 

Thanks for the compliments, Greg! Well, I planned on keeping 2 plants of each variety but since they were one big rootball when I started the plant out. I didn't wanna tear them up to much and have stressed plants so I just planted out like they were. Total amount of plants will be 194  :oops: and I still have space left in my tunnel. Will put some Basil and eggplants on those spots.

stickman said:
Excellent! We'll be watching... And I'm also looking forward to seeing what you make with your harvest. Cheers!
Me to, Rick. I need some inspiration ;) The Jals are gonna be pickled and the ripe ones dried for Chipotle. No idea what I will do with the rest at this moment.

NorwegianChili said:
Hm, strawberries ripe here in Norway early June, mid June. Must be the midnight sun! If you ever come to Norway, taste the strawberries and be amazed! 

Normally we have ripe ones in May already but everything is at least a month late due to low temperatures during spring. The temperature has dropped again since yesterday and it's a lot cooler. No worries though since every plant is in the tunnel, nice and warm :D

meatfreak said:

Normally we have ripe ones in May already but everything is at least a month late due to low temperatures during spring. The temperature has dropped again since yesterday and it's a lot cooler. No worries though since every plant is in the tunnel, nice and warm :D

I wonder if anyone's done any research to see if the jet stream is moving faster due to global warming, so it travels further south than it used to? That may be one explanation for the extreme weather we've seen this spring... I certainly hope not!

stickman said:

I wonder if anyone's done any research to see if the jet stream is moving faster due to global warming, so it travels further south than it used to? That may be one explanation for the extreme weather we've seen this spring... I certainly hope not!

They probably are and I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the reasons. From what I've saw on tv, the cold and warm water streams are also an big influence on our climate.

Plant out is finally done, got to laying out the dripping system as well. Saves me a lot of work and it's easier to control. The weather has completely changed again, lot's of rain and temperature dropped to 58F during the day  :rolleyes:

IMAG2764.jpg

Left row, mostly the Chinense and a few Pubescens.
IMAG2765.jpg

Right row, Annuum except for the first row which are Baccatum.
IMAG2766.jpg

Chilhuacle family, Chilhuacle Negro, Chilhuacle Amarillo en Chilhuacle Rojo. Not the most beautiful plants at the moment but they will bounce back.
IMAG2759.jpg

Scotch Bonnet family, they suffered a lot due to the leaf issueses and 3 plants in one pot. Learned my lesson.
IMAG2761.jpg

Biker Flames F2, 2 different kind of traits, gonne be interesting to see them pod up.
IMAG2762.jpg

Lot's of these bad boys in the garden, it's just for prevention ;)

IMAG2747.jpg

Pubescens family, CGN 22796 and Manzano Yellow/White (probably Yellow). Left some extra space between them and the next row.
IMAG2753.jpg

First 2 spots are Bubblegum 7 and last one is theTrinidad Scorpion CARDI.
IMAG2755.jpg

Now we  :cheers: and wait for them to grow some pods :D

Back