• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Megamoo's 2012/2013 Glog

I'm in a new house with much more space, better sheltered areas for plants and hopefully less disease in the environment. Unless I win the lottery and buy myself a mansion I'm good to stay here for a long time. The landlord knows about and is cool with the fluorescent light grow setups in the garage, and is happy for me to transform the outside into a chilli jungle. All signs point to a good season ahead.

Winter has just begun, and I've got the germinating and growing on stations setup. Chilli seeds are in the post flying to my door.

This is the current seed list I have to choose from, including varieties ordered but yet to arrive.

7 Pot Brainstrain
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cristal
Aji Lemon
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
Anaheim
Antillais Caribbean
Aribibi Gusano
Baccio De Satana
Bahamian Bird Pepper
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Big Jim
Bih Jolokia
Bishop's Crown
Black Prince
Blondie
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brazillian Starfish
Burke's Backyard Thai Chilli
Capsicum Californian Wonder
Capsicum Giant Bell
Capsicum Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot
Capsicum Sweet Banana
CGN 21469
Chihuacle Negro
Chilaca Pasilla
Chilli Cayenne Gold
Chilli Cayenne Red
Chilli Costa Rica
Chilli Habanero Red
Chilli Jalapeno
Chilli Poblano
Cochiti
Congo Brown
Corno Di Torro Rossi
Datil
Datil x Lemon
Dorset Naga
Douglah
Earbob
Early Jalapeno
Explosive Ember
Fatalii
Filipino Bell Pepper
Fresno
Giant Jalapeno
Goatsweed
Guampinha De Veado
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Peach
Habanero Red
Hot Cherry
Hot Fish
Hot Pepper
Hot Wax
Hungarian Black
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy Nardello
Joe's Long
Joker's Hat
Limo Blanco
Magnum Habanero
Manzano Amarillo
Maraca
Mystery Pepper
Naga Jolokia Purple
Naga Morich
Nagabon
Numex Twilight
Orange Habanero
Orange Lantern
Peppadew
Peruvian White Habanero
Peter Pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Red
Pimenta De Neyde
Pimenta Di Bico
Piquillo
Purple Tiger
Pusa Jwala
Red Hot Cherry
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Serrano
Siling Labuyo
Tabasco
Takanotsume
Thai Cayenne
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Mann
Thai Yellow
Topaz Chilli
Trinidad 7Pot Jonah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion (stingerless)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Uyababa
Vietato
Wasp
White Labuyo
Wild Tepin
Zapotec Jalapeno

Many of these are just one or two seeds leftover from old stock and I won't be planting everything. A lot of the ornamentals will be getting just one plant. I'm might still get some more 7pots and superhot varieties.

The garden beds need a little work, and retic needs to be sorted but I've got a few months to do that. I'll post pictures when I have them.

The caterpillars that damage my pods never stick around long enough to be caught in chillies. I have only ever sprung them inside a tomato. Your Bhut pod looks as though it took several rounds of micro meteorites.

Caterpillars..... :mad:

The caterpillars here are stupid enough to hang around even after making it painfully obvious that they are inside the pod. If I didn't hate 'em so much they would be funny as heck. As soon as you start slicing the pod, they shoot out like a bullet and start wriggling away for their dear life. Oh little caterpillar, try as you might............

Looking good mega as per normal ... not those pods though ... not sure what is eating them?? Maybe even birds?? Just poking holes in them ( I had crows do that last season)
As for the pods ripening it depends if you are planning on keeping the seeds for trading etc?? If you are I like to leave the pods on the plant until they are fully ripe. If not I usually pick them just before they fully colour up (tiny bit of green/orange) to ensure Max heat and keeping/freezing quality
Thanks.
Wouldn't be birds because the massacred pod was deep deep in the bush.
I will be keeping the seeds most of the time so I guess I'll leave the pods on the bush until they fully ripen.

The caterpillars that damage my pods never stick around long enough to be caught in chillies. I have only ever sprung them inside a tomato. Your Bhut pod looks as though it took several rounds of micro meteorites.
Caterpillars..... :mad:

The caterpillars here are stupid enough to hang around even after making it painfully obvious that they are inside the pod. If I didn't hate 'em so much they would be funny as heck. As soon as you start slicing the pod, they shoot out like a bullet and start wriggling away for their dear life. Oh little caterpillar, try as you might............
I'm thinking it is caterpillars but the plants with affected pods don't seem to have any holes in their leaves. So perhaps a different sort of caterpillar to the leaf eater?

Hope you give them a little :flamethrower: Gas :D

Mowed the lawn today. Didn't take any photos cos its just lawn :P But after sitting down and looking at it I decided to extend the shade cloth to behind the shed.
Check out the flowers in this pic. Many of the plants are so covered in flowers it looks like its snowing!
newshade001_zps2d5a51bb.jpg

newshade002_zps08a50336.jpg

newshade004_zps62ba0f89.jpg

In keeping with the rest of the shading its not pretty :P Might have to cut off that excess cloth hanging down, so when I'm climbing around in there I don't get covered in spiders nests etc.

Checked out a new ripening pod and found this little soft and soggy looking spot. Do you think this is evidence of fruit fly Gas, or anyone?
newshade006_zpse14ded21.jpg

The first ripening pod also has a similar spot.
newshade009_zps2e82e2e2.jpg

I was spraying them down with water through the recent heatwave so maybe its from too much moisture? Hoping its not bug invasion.

Massive Brandywine tomatoes starting to ripen.
newshade011_zpse98a6c6b.jpg

One of the tomato plants was invading a chilli area so instead of getting something to cut it with I wrestled a branch off. Came back later and found I had injured my big Bhut Jolokia plant and a Jalapeno.
The whole branch had come away at the soil level
newshade012_zps13280666.jpg

Had two young pods on it. Zero signs of damage like the massacred one.
newshade013_zpsa8eafed5.jpg

So now I've got to make something to eat with these bad boys :D
newshade014_zps8c801c9f.jpg

Hi Moo
Loss of side branches isn't too much of a loss... I actually had to do it on purpose last summer because I planted the Habs too close together. It didn't hurt them at all... it opened up the leaf canopy to let in more light and air (preventing rot) and made it easier to spot the ripening pods. I think it made it easier for the pollinators too.

Checked out a new ripening pod and found this little soft and soggy looking spot. Do you think this is evidence of fruit fly Gas, or anyone?
newshade006_zpse14ded21.jpg

The first ripening pod also has a similar spot.
newshade009_zps2e82e2e2.jpg

I was spraying them down with water through the recent heatwave so maybe its from too much moisture? Hoping its not bug invasion.

Only one way to find out.... cut 'er open! If it's fruit fly, there will be maggots in there for sure (the maggots are what cause the rot). The rotting usually starts around a sting mark though (makes sense as that's where the maggots hatch from) and I can't see one in either of your pics.

I dunno.... blossom end rot or something maybe?? Whatever it is, it can't be good.... :scared:

I would say blossom end rot too if I had to hazard a guess. I have only ever seen it on bigger fleshier sweeter pods personally and sweet capsicums

I thought blossom end rot started at the very end where the pistil comes out? Only seen it on tomatoes before. If it is BER then at least its an easy fix. I recall its a lack of calcium.

Whatever it is it ain't going to fix itself. I'll operate tomorrow and have a good look.

Just read that a lot of fungus and bacterial stuff is because of humidity. Definitely planted them way too close together, and hosing them down wasn't the best idea in the heat :P

Might give the all lower branches a good pruning tomorrow, and clear a gap under the fence to let air get in.

Thought I'd take the torch out and see what critters are up at night.

Ants are still crawling around.... real troopers!

There are also a lot of slaters crawling about. (apparently they are also called wood louse, pill bugs or armadillo bugs... you know the ones that roll up into a tiny little ball if you touch them) I always considered them harmless but Wikipedia says although they turn stuff into compost like worms they can munch on young seedlings. I assumed they were just there for they wood chip mulch. They could be responsible for the little nibbles on my pod stems.

Also found a big snail tucking into a Jalapeno :mad:

Looked for a long time but could only find one.

This is the Jalapeno :(
snailfood002_zpsc4f26990.jpg

The snail is no more.

I'm thinking it is caterpillars but the plants with affected pods don't seem to have any holes in their leaves. So perhaps a different sort of caterpillar to the leaf eater?

The majority of the leaf eaters I have encountered are the spawn of White Cabbage Butterfly. I have one of the pod destroying pests trapped in a container. The aim is to see it through to maturity so I can identify the adult form.

The majority of the leaf eaters I have encountered are the spawn of White Cabbage Butterfly. I have one of the pod destroying pests trapped in a container. The aim is to see it through to maturity so I can identify the adult form.
I see those fockers flying around all the time. I used to think they were cool because it meant the weather was warming up. How wrong was I.

We have those here, as well, although not in infestation proportions.
How big was the snail? A snail that is 2-3cm across can eat a boat-load
of vegetation very quickly. The soft spots on your pods sure look like over-
watering. Mine get that during the cool rainy season if I don't pull them first.

We have 'pill bugs' by the ton. I leave them alone as great composters. I'm
not sure i've ever seen signs of them eating seedlings. Slugs and snails are
far worse, I think. Isn't gardening cool?

Thanks everyone for all the responses.

Your bugs suck moo.
Geez mega where do you live the island of Dr Moreau or something ;)
I know! Damn things!!!

It has been going bug free for a long time. Maybe this prolonged hot weather (made humid by me) has sparked a bug breeding frenzy.

I'm also 99% sure there are mice outside too. Saw a silhouette of one run across the top of the fence last night, and some seedlings I have one a high shelf next to the fence have been completely eaten free of leaves. I like to let nature balance things out with the bugs... but I'm not getting a cat! Time for some traps and ratsac.

I had lots of those when the oldest plants were still babies but as I find the caterpillars I feed them to the ants and the leaves with holes are rare now.

Seeing more leaves eaten around the edges on the Jalapenos. Must be the slugs and snails. Might have to set out some beer traps and see what falls in.

I see those fockers flying around all the time. I used to think they were cool because it meant the weather was warming up. How wrong was I.
Exactly the same here.

We have those here, as well, although not in infestation proportions.
How big was the snail? A snail that is 2-3cm across can eat a boat-load
of vegetation very quickly. The soft spots on your pods sure look like over-
watering. Mine get that during the cool rainy season if I don't pull them first.

We have 'pill bugs' by the ton. I leave them alone as great composters. I'm
not sure i've ever seen signs of them eating seedlings. Slugs and snails are
far worse, I think. Isn't gardening cool?

It sounds like I've over watered the top of the plants and the humidity is causing problems. Going to reduce the watering time, now its a bit cooler too.

It's really only been small problems but its annoying when all the ripe really hot pods so far have been messed up by something. If I start getting a lot of good ripe pods I won't even worry about the odd bugged out or moldy pod.

Sluggo, or a similar off brand works for the slugs and snails...we get them so bad here that sometimes on my night runs it sounds like I am running on popcorn for miles at a time. Tomato horn worms will eat your pods too....grrrrrrr. I sure do hate them pesties! Seems like every glog I check today is full of fungus gnats, snails, slugs or some other type of enemy!!!

Your plants look amazing, You're about to be swimming in the pods!!!

Sluggo, or a similar off brand works for the slugs and snails...we get them so bad here that sometimes on my night runs it sounds like I am running on popcorn for miles at a time. Tomato horn worms will eat your pods too....grrrrrrr. I sure do hate them pesties! Seems like every glog I check today is full of fungus gnats, snails, slugs or some other type of enemy!!!

Your plants look amazing, You're about to be swimming in the pods!!!
Yes the plants are looking great :D

There aren't that many pests around. The vast majority of my plants are doing well, but I've posted enough pics of green pods.

Cut up the pods and it was clear there was mold and not bugs inside.
mold003_zps8cba8ea8.jpg

Yes the plants are looking great :D

There aren't that many pests around. The vast majority of my plants are doing well, but I've posted enough pics of green pods.

Cut up the pods and it was clear there was mold and not bugs inside.
mold003_zps8cba8ea8.jpg

Now you are making me feel guilty for posting so many photos of my Green pods ;) :D.
Well at least you know what is causing your issues mega!!
Nothing worse then to still be scratching your head in 6 months time as to what the issue is. You are soon going to be rolling in plenty of coloured pods no doubt!! So I expect plenty of photos then ;)

Now you are making me feel guilty for posting so many photos of my Green pods ;) :D.
Well at least you know what is causing your issues mega!!
Nothing worse then to still be scratching your head in 6 months time as to what the issue is. You are soon going to be rolling in plenty of coloured pods no doubt!! So I expect plenty of photos then ;)
Can't post enough pictures of pods Trippa ;)

I think I've fixed one issue at least. "rolling in plenty of coloured pods" me want :D

That is heartbreaking. On the plus side, the pods are practically dripping. I'm sure they will rock when the mold issues pass.

It is sad but I think the mold is a one off. They had quite a potent smell to them!

Harvest pictures :)

Small harvest yes but the snowball is small at the top of the hill.

Got one small ripe Jalapeno and a near perfect looking Magnum Habanero. Plus two slightly nibbled Bhut Jolokias

harvest003_zps9f98850c.jpg

The Magnum Hab has two very small dots or bumps on it, not clear in the photos. It's probably nothing but I'll know more when I cut it open.
harvest006_zpse1731125.jpg

harvest004_zps0d95448f.jpg

I've propped up the Bhut Jolokia so her branches or pods aren't sitting on the ground. Just had a look with the torch after dusk to try and catch the nibbler in the act but all I could see was the two very slightly damaged pods.
harvest009_zps64a20f05.jpg

The marks appear to have caused the tissue around it to ripen. Could it possibly be an infection and not a bug?

I've just been out again and took some night shots. In these photos you can see the little white splotches on the pods.
nightpics009_zps4c614f4d.jpg

nightpics002_zps32ff28bc.jpg

The white marks are from the bore water, they are all over the Jalapenos too. The original system had a spray so everything was wet down, but yesterday I changed it out and put individual drippers under these plants instead.

Perhaps the marks on the pods aren't nibble marks, but rather mold or fungus grown from the white residue left by the water?

If so :pray: then I've just solved this problem :)

The large L shaped pod was one of the first to set so I'm checking it all the time for colour.

Last night I ate a wrap with one of these pods cut up in it.
newshade013_zpsa8eafed5.jpg

Didn't really know what to expect. The hottest pod I've eated previously was an orange hab.... and that was only half the pod.
The burn from the green Bhut wasn't as hot, and wasn't enough to stop me eating, (probably cos its green) but it was strong. The flavour was much better than I expected, a real allover mouth burn. Really want to try a ripe one now. :D

There is no comparison between heat levels in green bhuts and what happens when you let them ripen. Strap yourself in!

Moving to individual drippers and avoiding sprays is a great idea. I am much lower tech so I just collect my water in rain barrel and water my pepper one watering can at a time. I don't mind it though, because it gives me time to really look at the plants.

I actually started a thread last summer when something was gnawing on my bhuts and causing almost identical damage. You can check it out to see if any of the comments help:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33619-something-eating-my-bhuts/

Back