• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Megamoo's 2012/2013 Glog

I'm in a new house with much more space, better sheltered areas for plants and hopefully less disease in the environment. Unless I win the lottery and buy myself a mansion I'm good to stay here for a long time. The landlord knows about and is cool with the fluorescent light grow setups in the garage, and is happy for me to transform the outside into a chilli jungle. All signs point to a good season ahead.

Winter has just begun, and I've got the germinating and growing on stations setup. Chilli seeds are in the post flying to my door.

This is the current seed list I have to choose from, including varieties ordered but yet to arrive.

7 Pot Brainstrain
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cristal
Aji Lemon
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
Anaheim
Antillais Caribbean
Aribibi Gusano
Baccio De Satana
Bahamian Bird Pepper
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Big Jim
Bih Jolokia
Bishop's Crown
Black Prince
Blondie
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brazillian Starfish
Burke's Backyard Thai Chilli
Capsicum Californian Wonder
Capsicum Giant Bell
Capsicum Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot
Capsicum Sweet Banana
CGN 21469
Chihuacle Negro
Chilaca Pasilla
Chilli Cayenne Gold
Chilli Cayenne Red
Chilli Costa Rica
Chilli Habanero Red
Chilli Jalapeno
Chilli Poblano
Cochiti
Congo Brown
Corno Di Torro Rossi
Datil
Datil x Lemon
Dorset Naga
Douglah
Earbob
Early Jalapeno
Explosive Ember
Fatalii
Filipino Bell Pepper
Fresno
Giant Jalapeno
Goatsweed
Guampinha De Veado
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Peach
Habanero Red
Hot Cherry
Hot Fish
Hot Pepper
Hot Wax
Hungarian Black
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy Nardello
Joe's Long
Joker's Hat
Limo Blanco
Magnum Habanero
Manzano Amarillo
Maraca
Mystery Pepper
Naga Jolokia Purple
Naga Morich
Nagabon
Numex Twilight
Orange Habanero
Orange Lantern
Peppadew
Peruvian White Habanero
Peter Pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Red
Pimenta De Neyde
Pimenta Di Bico
Piquillo
Purple Tiger
Pusa Jwala
Red Hot Cherry
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Serrano
Siling Labuyo
Tabasco
Takanotsume
Thai Cayenne
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Mann
Thai Yellow
Topaz Chilli
Trinidad 7Pot Jonah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion (stingerless)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Uyababa
Vietato
Wasp
White Labuyo
Wild Tepin
Zapotec Jalapeno

Many of these are just one or two seeds leftover from old stock and I won't be planting everything. A lot of the ornamentals will be getting just one plant. I'm might still get some more 7pots and superhot varieties.

The garden beds need a little work, and retic needs to be sorted but I've got a few months to do that. I'll post pictures when I have them.

Don't know what yours is like compared to ours but don't expect much better when you move here! Ours tastes and smells like chemical. Mmmmmm.... chloramine, fluoride and who knows what else! :sick: I only drink/cook with bottled water. I was treating the tap water for my plants with ascorbic acid to remove the chloramine but unfortunately it got to be a lot of dicking around that I just don't have time for so now they get it straight out of the tap. I have found somewhere I can go load up on bore water though. I'll have to get onto that soon.
been to Qld heaps. Your water is shit too I know.

Good to see you got those mystery peppers going moo. I have decided that they were Bhuts originally but were crossed along the way. The guy called them ghost but has been growing them for ages along with other peppers. You wait until you try them. Unbelievable flavour and heat.

I also noticed that annums seem to be effected worse and quicker in general then Chinense var.

Yeah the bastages love Annuums. With the mite population right down now thanks to the Californicus, it's only my Annuums being affected at this point. Keep that in mind too if you are looking for a distractant/trap plant. ;)

been to Qld heaps. Your water is shit too I know.

Make that soon to be your water too... :P

Never bought seeds off pepperjoe so I can't speak about the viability of his seeds. Went to his site a long time ago but it hurt my eyes :P

My view, and it is only one opinion, is that he has a wonderful selection, great customer service, and he is willing to offer refunds or replacements if things don't turn out in terms of germination rates or plants growing true. I decided to find growers who have great germination rates to begin with, and whose seeds grow true the first time, because I have limited space and I don't want to be stuck with plants I didn't want in my garden to begin with. I still only have a partial idea of what I grew last year. Having said that, some people really like his stuff so more power to him. I only buy things there that I can't get anywhere else.

I'm with you on that, Stefan. And in actuality, the seeds I did get from him germed well. My comment was based on the observation that those vendors who include freebies, like Judy (pepperlover.com), usually give you something you'll really like: seeds for a cool variety, a powder sampler, etc. When I received the only order I had ever placed with Pepper Joe (HP22B), there was a pack of Serrano Seeds and a pack of Jalapeno seeds. Both envelopes were labelled with the variety, Pepper Joe's logo, and verbatim: "Free Seeds!".

Anyway, sorry for the threadjack, Megamoo, but I could send you some "Pepper Joe's Mite Magnet!" ;)

All this talk of seeds is making me think of my list for next season.

The list so far:

These are already heading my way in the mail
Peach Bhut Joloka
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion F4
Mustard Habanero
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Tobago Seasoning

Will definitely get some
Cili Goronong - not sure that's how to spell it.
Black Naga - looks cool.
Datil - need some better stock of this one
7 Pot Evergreen - Saw this on facebook, no idea where to get some.

There will be more later on.

I have so many varieties I didn't get to this season I don't really need to get any more :P

Still undecided whether to grow less varieties and get a lot of plants of the same.

I like vendors who throw in free seeds. It's better when they are varieties you've never heard of before, and wouldn't think to try. Maybe not as good when they are regular ones that everyone has anyway, but can't complain about freebies.

Good customer service doesn't always equal high germination rates. Earlier in this thread I mentioned how one vendor had mislabeled a variety and when I pointed it out they got back to me straight away, immediately took the listing down and sent me free seeds. Great customer service.... but those seeds they sent me, plus two others I had bought didn't germinate at all. Through experience you learn the better places to get seeds.

No worries on the threadjack :) I welcome all opinions and comments.

I should state that for things like specific varieties of seeds I tend to avoid places where there is any controversy. I weighed into the thread about Pepper Joe and the whole HP22B with some concerns and questions about marketing, in hindsight that was a mistake :P . I had my seeds for this season sorted and the thread is now locked because it all got acrimonious, and there was no resolution in sight. I'm sure Pepper Joe has some great seeds and runs an efficient business but based on everything that happened, and because I can get everything I need elsewhere with no drama, I don't think I'll be buying from Pepper Joe. Just my opinion.

Nice list Moo, when's the kick off for dem?
I'll be starting much earlier than last year. Probably mid winter. My biggest plants at the moment were started late August. The first page of this glog is filled with false starts because I was messing around with my system. Next time I will expand the hydro system to start more at one time.

Now I've got it all sorted out I'm thinking the best start date is late July

This pepper is a project being worked on by Judy (Pepperlover), don't think it is out for public release yet.
Will have to keep an eye out for that one. From what I saw it had a copper-green colour to it. Looked very impressive.

I can throw some cili Goronong seeds your way bro if you want hit me up by pm if you are keen.
Thats downright neighbourly of ya :D

But I'll wait until winter to finalise my list, go through my seed stock and know whats what. Who knows.... by then you might be living on a rural acre and could use a few hundred seeds ;)

Love reading the banter from Down Under! You fellas rock!
Sorry to hear about the water problems, that's downright ugly.
Here in the PNW, we hardly give water a thought, and I drink
it straight out of the tap. Your stories help put things into a
different perspective.

As for the seed vendors, I thought Beth at Peppermania did great
for me. Everything germinates and is true, and her freebies included
Congo Trinidad and Inca Red Drop, both of which turned out to be
great producers. Her business card pack also included some Orange
Rocoto, which was also a successful plant. Refining Fire and Chili
Pepper Institute also have great products, and USHot Stuff, as well.

Keep on truckin', boys!

We lot do banter a bit, don't we? :D

Reminds me.... the Aussie Blabberers thread has been a bit quiet lately. Damn Perthians/Perthites (whatever that lot call themselves) have been trying to take over with their thread! >.<

(Oh wait... I'm in Perthian territory here, ain't I...... :scared:)

/hijack

Sorry to hear about the water problems, that's downright ugly.
Here in the PNW, we hardly give water a thought, and I drink
it straight out of the tap. Your stories help put things into a
different perspective.

As for the seed vendors, I thought Beth at Peppermania did great
for me. Everything germinates and is true, and her freebies included
Congo Trinidad and Inca Red Drop, both of which turned out to be
great producers. Her business card pack also included some Orange
Rocoto, which was also a successful plant. Refining Fire and Chili
Pepper Institute also have great products, and USHot Stuff, as well.

Keep on truckin', boys!
My parents are old school and think I'm strange for saying anything bad about the tap water, they can't taste any difference. I used to drink from the tap no problems but after a long time drinking filtered water, tap water tastes awful. You could drink radiator water to survive if you had to but I feel if you have the choice why wouldn't you go for the best quality available? I'd like to get a rainwater tank, that tastes the best.

Judy at Peppermania does good quantities and freebies, and I've bought lots from her. The Bih Jolokias I got from there are doing really well at the moment.

We lot do banter a bit, don't we? :D

Reminds me.... the Aussie Blabberers thread has been a bit quiet lately. Damn Perthians/Perthites (whatever that lot call themselves) have been trying to take over with their thread! >.<

(Oh wait... I'm in Perthian territory here, ain't I...... :scared:)

/hijack

Us Perthlings absolutely have no plans for world domination, we completely do not intend to start by taking over this site, and there is no truth to claims we are watching you. You have fully nothing to be worried about, and shouldn't be frightened about crossing us at all. :D

Back