• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Megamoo's 2012/2013 Glog

I'm in a new house with much more space, better sheltered areas for plants and hopefully less disease in the environment. Unless I win the lottery and buy myself a mansion I'm good to stay here for a long time. The landlord knows about and is cool with the fluorescent light grow setups in the garage, and is happy for me to transform the outside into a chilli jungle. All signs point to a good season ahead.

Winter has just begun, and I've got the germinating and growing on stations setup. Chilli seeds are in the post flying to my door.

This is the current seed list I have to choose from, including varieties ordered but yet to arrive.

7 Pot Brainstrain
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cristal
Aji Lemon
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
Anaheim
Antillais Caribbean
Aribibi Gusano
Baccio De Satana
Bahamian Bird Pepper
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Big Jim
Bih Jolokia
Bishop's Crown
Black Prince
Blondie
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brazillian Starfish
Burke's Backyard Thai Chilli
Capsicum Californian Wonder
Capsicum Giant Bell
Capsicum Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot
Capsicum Sweet Banana
CGN 21469
Chihuacle Negro
Chilaca Pasilla
Chilli Cayenne Gold
Chilli Cayenne Red
Chilli Costa Rica
Chilli Habanero Red
Chilli Jalapeno
Chilli Poblano
Cochiti
Congo Brown
Corno Di Torro Rossi
Datil
Datil x Lemon
Dorset Naga
Douglah
Earbob
Early Jalapeno
Explosive Ember
Fatalii
Filipino Bell Pepper
Fresno
Giant Jalapeno
Goatsweed
Guampinha De Veado
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Peach
Habanero Red
Hot Cherry
Hot Fish
Hot Pepper
Hot Wax
Hungarian Black
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy Nardello
Joe's Long
Joker's Hat
Limo Blanco
Magnum Habanero
Manzano Amarillo
Maraca
Mystery Pepper
Naga Jolokia Purple
Naga Morich
Nagabon
Numex Twilight
Orange Habanero
Orange Lantern
Peppadew
Peruvian White Habanero
Peter Pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Red
Pimenta De Neyde
Pimenta Di Bico
Piquillo
Purple Tiger
Pusa Jwala
Red Hot Cherry
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Serrano
Siling Labuyo
Tabasco
Takanotsume
Thai Cayenne
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Mann
Thai Yellow
Topaz Chilli
Trinidad 7Pot Jonah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion (stingerless)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Uyababa
Vietato
Wasp
White Labuyo
Wild Tepin
Zapotec Jalapeno

Many of these are just one or two seeds leftover from old stock and I won't be planting everything. A lot of the ornamentals will be getting just one plant. I'm might still get some more 7pots and superhot varieties.

The garden beds need a little work, and retic needs to be sorted but I've got a few months to do that. I'll post pictures when I have them.

I'm in full agreement about all things Indian food recently said above. I love good, HOT, Indian food. Most places are a joke. The food is sweet instead of spicy. Like Gassy said, if you walk in and the majority of the patrons are Indian, chances are it's going to be good. I recently found a little take out place that is great. Their menu gives the choice of five different heat levels. I ordered lamb vindaloo. When I ordered it as a five on the heat scale, the guy asked me if I was sure, as there are no refunds. It was really good, and fairly hot. A couple of minutes into my lunch the guy came out to check on me, lol. He asked me if it was too hot. I told him it could be hotter. He just smiled and walked away. Good stuff.

You usually get three heat levels here: mild, medium and hot. But a long time ago I discovered a secret one usually exists too: Indian hot. When trying out a new restaurant I sometimes get the "Are you sure?", Yes, "Are you positive?", Yes, and then the "How is everything? Not too hot??" during the meal, and sometimes they even stand back and spy on you while you eat it! The watching/spying thing pisses me off but I find the questioning funny. Funniest thing is, I eat food hotter than a lot of Indians here (well, the ones I know). I have Indian friends and colleagues at work that I've given Nagas and Bhuts to and they've come back and gone "WTF?? I couldn't eat that!". I've even heard them tell their friends "man, this guy eats food hotter than me!" :lol:

Another good sign of a good restaurant is when someone who doesn't eat hot food tells you they went to an Indian restaurant and the mild Butter Chicken or whatever they ordered was "still hot!". Generally in such a case it seems to be the other spices in the dish giving it the illusion of being hot. And that's what it is for me, it's not just about the chilli... well, OK, chilli is a large part of it :D but it's also about the other spices. I want to take a bite and end up with a whole clove or cardamon pod or bay leaf or curry leaf in my mouth, I want to taste whole cummin seeds and I want to find whole dried chillies in there that I can suck the curry out of (ohhh man, flavour heaven!). I'm not opposed to a relatively heatless curry as long as it still has flavour (and I say relatively heatless as good use of spices will still give off a warmth). Nothing worse than ending up with something that is ultimately just chicken in turmeric-coloured cream or something!

/hijack. Sorry, moo. :P :P

Having a good Indian place in your area is an essential part of leading a happy life.

Oh hell yeah!

Sitar's at Albion do a good Vindaloo Gas. There is also a place in Birkdale that do a curry even you might find hot (the famed tindaloo!!)

The website

Menu (its meant to be a really good place for a curry according to a few mates that have been)

Again sorry Mega! :oops: :silenced:

Sitar's at Albion do a good Vindaloo Gas. There is also a place in Birkdale that do a curry even you might find hot (the famed tindaloo!!)

The website

Menu (its meant to be a really good place for a curry according to a few mates that have been)

Again sorry Mega! :oops: :silenced:

"British Indian Cuisine" :rofl:

But on the other hand, maybe not so funny at all. Didn't the Indian restaurant as we know it (and menu) come from the British Indian community??

One thing that Indian's like to tell me is that the food served in Indian restaurants is not real Indian food. "You still have restaurants that serve damn good food.... but it's not really Indian". "Some of it is close"..... but yeah, you get the point. ;) And I know food is different from region to region over there but all food I've had cooked for me by Indians is usually very different to what you get in a restaurant also.

Maaan, moo is gonna be piiiiiissed at us! :lol:

Not pissed I'm just blocking you all :hell:

Nah the hijacks are welcome. :) I'm actually upset that all this talk has created a serious craving for Indian food and I won't have a chance to get any til Wednesday night. Think I'll make a point of doing a drunken chef post of making a curry from scratch.

Got nothing to post about the garden at the moment. Everyone has been suffering high temps and humidity but Perth's actually been cool and dry... until today :( 35 and just under 60% humidity. I know that's not as bad as QLD has regularly but I'm not used to it. Plus I'm toilet training my youngest at the moment. It's not just sticky..... its sticky with feeling. :neutral:

One thing that Indian's like to tell me is that the food served in Indian restaurants is not real Indian food... but all food I've had cooked for me by Indians is usually very different to what you get in a restaurant also.
Truth. My Wife is originally from Bangladesh, and the cuisine is essentially the same. What her Mother cooks, and what she cooks is most definitely authentic. I've had nothing like it in an Indian restaurant. But she is the best critic. I might like a particular restaurant, and she'll think it's meh...Americanized.
Plus I'm toilet training my youngest at the moment. It's not just sticky..... its sticky with feeling. :neutral:

Nice. On that note, thread jack over. ;)

Going to spray everything down with sulphur to kill al the mite nasties in a few days so I this is a before shot
Truth. My Wife is originally from Bangladesh, and the cuisine is essentially the same. What her Mother cooks, and what she cooks is most definitely authentic. I've had nothing like it in an Indian restaurant. But she is the best critic. I might like a particular restaurant, and she'll think it's meh...Americanized.
I'll have to find an authentic recipe. I think everything I've ever eaten is the tourist version.

Took some photos just for the hell of it.
Going to spray everything down with sulphur to kill all the mite nasties in a few days so this is a before shot.
hotnsticky032_zpscb14b239.jpg

The plants under the newest section of shadecloth have bushed out and are responding with big fat leaves.

This is on 2nd Jan
newshade004_zps62ba0f89.jpg

This is today
hotnsticky006_zps7b77ebd2.jpg

hotnsticky009_zps2c9c060c.jpg

All this growth is still with plain water, all food is from the soil. I'm amazed! I had thought it was leaching out of the soil and was done but they're still going nuts. Apparently the bugs enjoy it too :(

Pods
Jonah pods ripening :D I've been checking on these ones for ages.
hotnsticky003_zpsb17139f9.jpg

First Bih Jolokia pod ripening too. Have 3 plants and they are all loaded.
hotnsticky011_zpsfae7a00a.jpg

Scarlet Lantern pod reeel perdy
hotnsticky025_zps1bec71b6.jpg

Things are really looking good, Moo.
Your raised bed along the fence has turned out awesome!~

More for the hell of it photos. Nothing particularly special or post worthy but thought I'd put them up there anyway.

Some ripe ones. I'm getting a lot of the more common pods first, I've expect this has something to do with variety stability.
hotnsticky017_zps2d934130.jpg

hotnsticky018_zps8e40516e.jpg

hotnsticky019_zps6baa014c.jpg

hotnsticky020_zpsd9a34982.jpg

Bhut Jolokia
hotnsticky021_zpsc0cd88cd.jpg

hotnsticky022_zpsf3929439.jpg

No chew marks unexplained holes in the pod. Looks untouched :D Can't wait to cut it open!

hotnsticky037_zpsfab6550d.jpg

Really nice looking pods, Moo! Good enough to eat!

Common pods or not, they look great, moo! :cool: Love the idea of pod shots with the pods sitting in the garden next to the plant markers too... has a nice "fresh" feel to it. Plus with your plant markers being plastic knives, it gives some perspective of the size of the pod.

Bhuuutiful moo!

Oh and if you ever find yourself in a UK Indian Restaurant - try a Phaal. It's like a Vindaloo made with magma. Not a lot of restaurants do it thou :cry:

The tindaloo from the restaurant that I mentioned earlier is basically a phaal according to my British and south African friends that have been there. I am still to go there

Really nice looking pods, Moo! Good enough to eat!
Thanks Paul. I just ate a red hab tonight, chopped up and stirred through some pasta. Wasn't one from the latest harvest, it was picked earlier. I can definitely say my tolerance is higher because it made me hiccup straight away but that went away and my eyes teared slightly up and my nose ran a little but that was it. Good flavour, almost mellow compared to the orange ones. The pod itself didn't exactly look like it was dripping inside though. Have to try another one of those.

Common pods or not, they look great, moo! :cool: Love the idea of pod shots with the pods sitting in the garden next to the plant markers too... has a nice "fresh" feel to it. Plus with your plant markers being plastic knives, it gives some perspective of the size of the pod.
I did that so I could identify species of pods that look similar, but it does look good doesn't it :) Been thinking of something to use for scale and the best I can come up with is a golf ball... (if I start to get monster pods then maybe a tennis ball ;) ) I assume golf balls are universally the same size? Have to steal one from the old man next time I visit. Knives will do until then.

Right you know the rules ay moo??? First big bhut of the season has to be eaten whole ;).

And on camera :rofl:
Hmmm.... I agree, but not on camera. I was going to do a film tour of the garden but its not that big really, and have no idea how to upload videos. I'm sure I could figure it out. Too shy to put myself out there. After I've had enough drinks that all changes.... I've been told.

I was going to use the bhut in an authentic indian dish made from scratch but you are right.... it deserves to be eaten whole. I will have to wuss out and deseed it first, so I don't start puking. Even then vomit is a possibility!

Bhuuutiful moo!

Oh and if you ever find yourself in a UK Indian Restaurant - try a Phaal. It's like a Vindaloo made with magma. Not a lot of restaurants do it thou :cry:
The tindaloo from the restaurant that I mentioned earlier is basically a phaal according to my British and south African friends that have been there. I am still to go there
Just to avoid confusion I should point out that in the last few pages I was not one of the people telling stories that the hottest indian dish they were served wasn't hot enough :P I'll have to work myself up to the mysterious and elusive Phaal. The hottest tourist dishes they make are up there for me.

They both sound lethally good to me. I have had a Phaal on the odd occasion and all I can say it is like sitting in a sauna with winter woollies on. You just melt lol

Love those Jonah pods.......me can't wait for mine, probably 6 months form now to the 1st bite of a ripened one.............. :rolleyes:

Back