• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Melissa77754 2012 Glog

Hey Everyone
icon_smile.gif

So I figured it is about time I start a Grow log of my own and I will do my very best to keep it up to date. With two kiddos and a massive amount of plants my days can be pretty hectic. I grew jalapenos and serranos last season, had a decent harvest considering the small pot size I used. In July I met a nice lady giving away hot pepper seeds to newbies on GW, decided to give them a try, August met Smokemaster through a generous SASBE offer and the rest is history!! lol

I started a batch in late August so I have some "overwinters" if you will, living in SoCal I can grow year round with the right protection from time to time. I started out with a cheap 12'x7' hoop house and when the winds thrashed that I bought two 6x8 with shelving, still the cheaper plastic hot house type but the shelving makes it heavy and the winds don't phase it. I also have a 6x6 indoor tent with a 4 bulb T5 and 2 monster size CFL's. The growth indoors versus out does not even compare, T5's are amazing! Have to thank my bro for giving me that fixture.

I am hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew being it's my first real season growing super hots mainly. I plan to sell some plants along the way to help fund my pepper growing addiction
icon_smile.gif
My log will be pretty picture heavy which I am sure most will not mind! Enjoy and happy pepper growing to everyone!!
dancingpepper.gif

My grow list (Still need to add, started some more trays after creating this list and haven't had time to update)

"CLUBBED" SCOTCH BONNET (rec'd in trade from canada, this is the shape he explained thus the name)
7 POT PRIMO
7 POD BURGUNDY
7 POT BARRACKPORE
7 POT BROWN
7 POT JONAH BUTCH T
7 POT MOROUGA YELLOW
7 POT ORANGE
7 POT RED
7 POT YELLOW
7 POT YELLOW LARGE
AJI JOE CHOCOLATE HAND GRENADE
AJI LIMON
AJI UMBA
ANCHO MULATO
ARBOL
ARIBIBI GUSANO
BEAVER DAM
BENI HIGHLANDS
BETH MYSTERY PACK
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA INDIAN CARBON
BHUT JOLOKIA PURPLE
BIG JIM
BIKER BILLY
BIQUINHO
BIRGITS LOCOTO
BLACK NAGA JOLOKIA
BRAIN STRAIN
BRAIN STRAIN SR
CANTINA YELLOW
CARRIBEAN RED
CASCABELLA
CAYENNE GOLDEN
CHAPAEU DE FRADE
CHOCOLATE BHUT JOLOKIA
CHOCOLATE HABANERO
CHOCOLATE SCOTCH BONNET
CHOCOLATE T.S.
CONGO BLACK
CONGO RED
COSTENNO AMARILLO
DATIL
DOUGHLAH
DOUGHLAH X BUTCH T
EARBOB PI59272
EL ORO DE EQUADOR
FATALLI
GIANT JALAPENO
GRENADA YELLOW SEASONING
GUYANA PI199506
GUERRITO
HABANERO BIG SUN
HAROLD ST BARTS
HOT HUNGARIAN
INFINITY
JAMAICAN YELLOW
JIMMY NARDELLO
LIGHTNING MIX
MADAME JEANETTE
MANZANO RED
MANZANO AMARILLO
MANZANO ORANGE
MARCONI ROSSO
MOROUGA YELLOW
MYSTERY
NAGA MORICH
NAGABON
NUMEX SANDIA
NUMEX TWILIGHT
ORANGE THAI
PADRON
PEACH BHUT JOLOKIA
PEACH HABALOKIA
PEACH LANTERN
PEACH SCORPANERO
PERUVIAN GOLD
PINK HABANERO
PURPLE BHUT JOLOKIA
QUEEN LAURIE PI1281405
RED FATALLI
RED HABANERO
RED ROCOTO
RED SAVINA
SANTAKA ASIAN
SCOTCH BONNET
SUPERHOT SURPRISE
SUPREME MIX
SURINAME HABANERO
T.S. BUTCH T
T.S. MOROUGA
TOBAGO SCOTCH BONNET
TRINIDAD BEAN
TRINIDAD MOROVAS
TRINIDAD SCORPION
TRINIDAD SEASONING
TRINIDAD SWEET CHERRY
WHIT 7 POD
YELLOW HABALOKIA
YELLOW 7 POT LRG
YELLOW 7 POT X ?
YELLOW BHUT JOLOKIA
YELLOW BRAIN STRAIN
YELLOW T.S.

MY CHOCOLATE HAB IS LOADED WITH FLOWERS!
IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2777.jpg

RED HABANERO
IMG_2787.jpg

Not to sure about that Melissa :liar: Us Florida growers know what we be doing :rofl:

I concur haha!!

Or something.

I too am starting some more peppers... Giving a few superhots that I had a hard time with one last try.

Also my galapagoense seeds :D

and

and

and

its just a good thing I have a lot of room...

Great looking plants and great job of growing. don't know how I missed this . I have growen fully organic for the last 5-6 years , make all my own stuff, add a pakage of nori unseasoned sea weed to your tea mix it will help lossen the ground and make it fuffy plants love it. also I use a lot of fermented stuff to make plants big and strong. Weather has been terbile for growing on this Island not to far snow temps up and down alot down in the fortys some nights, may be better this summer still have plants inside with pods on them hope it warns up soon. Best of luck to you and your year.

well, what guru said!That 6 yards is waitin on me still, jump on the morning chopper to get dirt bound and feet dry.Heck of nice lookin bed.
This will be my last grolog check till I home tomorrow.REALLY.....I think....and that hand grenade is one of the reasons I am having one more seed start-okay one of 12 reasons!

I concur haha!!

Or something.

I too am starting some more peppers... Giving a few superhots that I had a hard time with one last try.

Also my galapagoense seeds :D

and

and

and

its just a good thing I have a lot of room...

There is ALWAYS a reason to start new seeds huh?! lol :)

Great looking plants and great job of growing. don't know how I missed this . I have growen fully organic for the last 5-6 years , make all my own stuff, add a pakage of nori unseasoned sea weed to your tea mix it will help lossen the ground and make it fuffy plants love it. also I use a lot of fermented stuff to make plants big and strong. Weather has been terbile for growing on this Island not to far snow temps up and down alot down in the fortys some nights, may be better this summer still have plants inside with pods on them hope it warns up soon. Best of luck to you and your year.

Thank you for stopping in the compliments! :) I love hearing from other organic growers, always something new to learn. I am going to have to try out that nori seaweed, thanks for the tip! My ground will be a work in progress the next few years I am sure, one day I will get it nice and fluffy all the way down! I hope you get some good weather soon, best of luck to you this year! ;)

A couple pics from today, feel like I didn't even make a dent in potting up, oh well there is always tomorrow and the rest of the weekend! :pray:

This is what the flower looks like on my mystery purple pod plants
IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2879.jpg

Manzano flower
IMG_2883.jpg

Group shot of some of the pot ups today, these were all in solo cups or 3.5" containers! They were more than ready!
IMG_2884.jpg

Not sure what this is, poor thing is flowering in a 3.5" container! lol
IMG_2885.jpg

Random flower shots
IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2887.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

Blonde Cucumber
IMG_2890.jpg

Wow! Sorry I was away from your grow log for so long, Melissa - you have really amped things up. Your garden beds are awesome, and your list of pepper varieties just keeps getting better. I love that you are really getting into the organic aspect of growing ("I am trying to grow the "true living organics" way and part of that is feeding the beneficial microbes in the soil, basically you're soil is full of life.") John Jevons who writes about biodynamic/intensive gardening considers the soil a living organism, and the crucial aspect of gardening that needs the most careful attention; sounds like you would like his stuff a lot.

Beautiful pics and pepper plants; you wear the mantle of pepper gardener very well :)

wow amazing grow melissa, your garden is coming along awesome!
Your hubby sure is a lucky man!
I'd kill to have the other half grow me a few hundred pepper plants ;) :rofl:

I wonder if your purple pepper is some sort of purple mini bell? Really cool looking! Jealous of your Manzano flowers too, mine are so close, but its like someone superglued them together! They just won't open! Looking really good lady! Keep up the good work!

Wow! Sorry I was away from your grow log for so long, Melissa - you have really amped things up. Your garden beds are awesome, and your list of pepper varieties just keeps getting better. I love that you are really getting into the organic aspect of growing ("I am trying to grow the "true living organics" way and part of that is feeding the beneficial microbes in the soil, basically you're soil is full of life.") John Jevons who writes about biodynamic/intensive gardening considers the soil a living organism, and the crucial aspect of gardening that needs the most careful attention; sounds like you would like his stuff a lot.

Beautiful pics and pepper plants; you wear the mantle of pepper gardener very well

Hey Paul! Glad to see you stop in, I know how busy these days are, I usually can only update/respond during nap time or at night! Life of a mom/extreme gardener! lol. I really have found a passion in growing peppers, they fascinate me! The other day one of my cousins stopped by (someone whom could care less about gardening) and she was even fascinated with the different pepper plant growth habits/flowers/peppers. It feels good to show people and get such great feedback. I am loving every bit of this venture, and am looking forward to trying peppers that I would have never tried had I not grown them myself! I will definitely check out John Jevons, sounds like great reading. One of the things I love about this forum is talking with people who have the same passion, and who are so eager to help and share information with each other! ;)

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods :)

Melissa

wow amazing grow melissa, your garden is coming along awesome!
Your hubby sure is a lucky man!
I'd kill to have the other half grow me a few hundred pepper plants

Thanks so much Chile_Freak, and I agree he sure is lucky!! And to think this all started with him asking for the Bhut Jolokia, he created a monster! But I am sure he is more than ok with it! :rofl:

Melissa ;)

I wonder if your purple pepper is some sort of purple mini bell? Really cool looking! Jealous of your Manzano flowers too, mine are so close, but its like someone superglued them together! They just won't open! Looking really good lady! Keep up the good work!

The only reason I would have to say no to a mini-bell is.....1 good reason. Came from pods smokemaster sent and I am pretty positive he doesn't like non-hot peppers! lol. I sent him the pictures and just taking a wild guess he mentioned black scorpion/black cobra as a possible cross since they were growing right next to each other. Will have to wait until the pods develops more. I would say 2-3 more weeks and they will make for a pretty cool pic, you can edit it for me! :D Seriously it seemed like eternity waiting for the first manzano flower to open, but once it does that thing will just keep going and going! I stopped checking my two red manzanos progress because the wait was killing me, and now 3 days later at least 15 flowers on each plant open! Really loving those plants! Oh and my mystery furry plants now have pods going up and down, so confused! :rofl:

Purple Bhut flower, almost as pretty as the manzano flowers!
IMG_2900.jpg

Early Girl Tom
IMG_2892.jpg

Pink Lady Apple flowers
IMG_2893.jpg

A few more went in the ground, the rest is cucumbers. I decided last minute yesterday that it HAD to have some peppers in it! LOL. El Oro de Equador is the one on the far right, can't remember the others right now.
IMG_2898.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg

Happy Friday everyone!! ;)

I wannaaaa lay you down on a bed of pepperrssssss. ... Let me know when harvest day is. Btw. Did you get the slot for farmers market?!

I wannaaaa lay you down on a bed of pepperrssssss. ... Let me know when harvest day is. Btw. Did you get the slot for farmers market?!

Harvest day is at least a couple months away, will need help when they are huge beasts! No slot at the farmers yet, I am the first to be called if another grower backs out though.

Top view of one red manzano
IMG_2916.jpg

My yellow manzanos are loaded, and getting bigger! :D
IMG_2913.jpg

Yellow Bhut filling in nicely
IMG_2920.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion Morouga
IMG_2921.jpg

7pot Primo
IMG_2925.jpg

Padron
IMG_2926.jpg

Not sure what this is yet
IMG_2933.jpg

A mystery furry plant with pods growing up and down! lol
IMG_2934.jpg

An example of how small some of the pots are, and the plants are still growing BIG! Teas I tell you! :)
IMG_2938.jpg

1ga pot
IMG_2941.jpg

Look awesome Melissa I have a few mysteries that are poding as well, but that purple bhut flower is amazing I am starting to regret not adding it this year :banghead: looks like everything is going well for you that is the best thing to see.

Look awesome Melissa I have a few mysteries that are poding as well, but that purple bhut flower is amazing I am starting to regret not adding it this year :banghead: looks like everything is going well for you that is the best thing to see.

Thanks Fernando! :) And hey we live in socal, never too late to start seeds! I can send you a couple pods later in the season if you like. The flower is amazing huh?! Hope all is well with you.

First purple Bhut pod to set!! Can't wait to watch this grow! :D
IMG_2946.jpg

This is my Chocolate Habanero that set a few pods and then went crazy stretching and dropping all it's flowers. The few pods to set are staying small and starting to turn, I bet it will still have a little kick. Luckily the plant has stopped stretching and dropping flowers, new pods set everywhere!
IMG_2944.jpg

My babies are getting big! :)
IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2953.jpg

This is a mystery out front, loaded with flowers. Dying to know what it is!
IMG_2958.jpg

Chocolate Bhuts, I love how the flowers are still perfectly in tact and yet the pods within are getting bigger!
IMG_2959.jpg

Another mystery
IMG_2960.jpg

Cayenne Golden
IMG_2961.jpg

This is the purple podded plant in the ground, looking way too cool with the yellow/purple striping going on!
IMG_2948.jpg

My first wild to hook, C.praetermissum CGN22795 from Pepperlover :dance:
IMG_2966.jpg

I have the same c. Praet, it is a very fast grower. I like it... Had two come up in the same pot, and they are both growing well... going to graft them together probably, and then put a C. galapa on it and see how it goes... So long as I have a couple of Galapgoense plants hook for me :)

I have the same c. Praet, it is a very fast grower. I like it... Had two come up in the same pot, and they are both growing well... going to graft them together probably, and then put a C. galapa on it and see how it goes... So long as I have a couple of Galapgoense plants hook for me :)

Looking forward to this one! Judy sent me wilds as freebies with a couple orders, had no idea until I started going through my seeds a few weeks back and looked up the CGN #, score! This was the only wild I started, need to get the others going, galapgoense for sure! Thanks for stopping in! :)

At that price I would start mixing my own. ;)
Impressive list of peppers. I am small time compared to many of you here. :shocked:

Thanks MotaMike! ;) I have witnessed many people whom get involved in THP turn in to chile heads, me included! lol. Thanks for stopping in!

looking great melissa

i think the purple one may be PURPLE PERU

WAIT AND SEE WHEN IT FRUITS!! as well as the others i will do my very best to id them for you

thanks you made my day ;) :party:

yourt friend Joe

Nice pics... I like the lighter pepper. Is that an annuum? I always have to get a finger involved in my flower shots.... Crummy cell cam. This pepper photography is hampering my criminal life. My fingerprints are on full display. Good luck with your season and with identifying your mystery plants.

Back