• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mexican farmers' market score!

Apparently the chiles are ripe in Mexico! The local flea market is a wonderful place to be this time of year, as the outskirts have become a teeming mexican fresh market in the last few years. Fresh eggs, weird ass vegetables that I've never seen before, and REALLY nice chiles abound.

DSCN0361.jpg

Blurry pic my gal took of a nice bin of ripe red jalapenos. 99cents per pound! I wanted to buy them all! So many chiles, so little time.

DSCN0365.jpg

The haul. Chile Manzanos, pretty red jalapenos, and fresh chile de arbol.

DSCN0368.jpg

Check out the size of these Manzanos! I'll have seeds from these big guys, if anyone's interested.

Those manzanos look huge...and tasty!!!

I'd be interested in some seed from one of those big boys if you are going to harvest them.

Just launched into Manzano #2... Man, forgot how cool these are. Nice sweet bell pepper flavor, and the oddest heat. Heat somehow makes it to the lips pretty quick and is a dry hot stingy burn. I can't describe it well enough really, but the burn on these pubescens is really weird!

Just remember to hound me for seeds if you'd like them. I'm gonna harvest seeds from all these guys, so there should be plenty :)

Hey those Manzanos are huge you can send some seeds this way when there ready, I got a good collection of Pubescens to trade

Can anyone shed some light on whether these peppers are all the same variety? (the manzanos I mean) There are more orange pods, and some lighter yellow ones, and lots of variation in pod shape.

Dude awesome find. Manzanos and red ripe jalapenoa are my main two reasons for visiting the Mexican store too lol

millworkman said:
They do look different. The one on the right looks like a rocoto, based on google search.

PS. Nice wasabi peas.

I' shall keep the seeds apart then.

Good eyes on the peas dude. They're hidin...

Quad, if you want seeds, they're yours! Dunno if you want another plant though, but these things grow wicked fast, and the plants are beautiful. I've read elsewhere that they do well indoors too...

Thnx bud, but pretty sure I don't have the room...esp. if my 7pot/Scorps grow well...eek!

Those red jalas are Worthy...mmmmm.

They were excellent. Made fine poppers, and were the hottest Jalapenos I'd ever had. They're always good from that market, but these were nice and corked, and especially tingly. Good stuff.

"Taxonomy Today"

All manzanos are cap pubescens
Not all cap pubescens are manzanos
All rocoto are cap pubescens
Not all cap pubescens are rocoto

Back