• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Well the morning after, i was hoping it was a bad dream & looked out the window & saw the mess, nah it was real.
There`s a rescue party coming down from Brisbane (x 5) to help clean up, its going to be another hot day in the mid 30`s.

Just making a coffee & taking my med`s in preparation, ill post some pic`s later. :tear:

Mez.

dam looks like a pretty nasty storm there Mezo. Don't give up on all your plants just yet. pull em out of the mess, stand em up, trim off broken bits it need be and hopefully some will bounce back.

Well its been a hard days work (not finished yet) in 35 + heat, all ive done is salvage & re-pot plants.

bigstorm1.jpg

The roof going back on, it was down the paddock but still in one bit.

bigstorm3.jpg

Managed to save 90% of the plants, lots of broken limbs but they will grow back.

bigstorm4.jpg

Even 3/5 Kings Super Scorp may survive? it was the hardest hit of them all (typical).

superscorp5.jpg

And this is by the evening, still lots of my bikes stuff to move yet.

bigstorm5.jpg

Mezo.

Good on you mezo bro ... you'll be rolling in chillis in no time. Hope you can salvage most of your other gear as well. Cheers Trippa

Good on you mezo bro ... you'll be rolling in chillis in no time. Hope you can salvage most of your other gear as well. Cheers Trippa

I concentrated on the superhots, some had come clean out of there pots (dirt & all) and was looking almost dead.
I was amazed at some had been flattened but still had pods & flowers attached?

It was a mini tornado that hit me, my project trailer (caravan to everyone else) had been lifted clean off its supports/stumps.
I was just dead lucky it didn't roll away (next stop in the gully was a big tree) and could have been a huge expense.

Problem as i go to bed tonight with everything open to the elements is two things, Briggs & Stratton.
Sheep stay awake all night munching & shitting as do cows, but sheep are real stealthy bastards.

So on that note i bid you goodnight, there may be zero plants in the morning as the sheep may eat them.

Mezo.

Meeez...i'm so pleased that you managed to salvage a lot of your plants....i was half expecting to read that the only one that made it was your "7 pot brown"... ;)

Sorry to hear about the other stuff that's trashed though, and hoping the sheep keep away for you too.

Sending positivity from Victoria :)

you really live in a meteorologically violent area Mez. Reminds me of an event we had a few months back. Never heard of it before in my life but we got barreled over by it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho Then we had Hurricane Sandy recently (didn't effect my area too much).

Anyway, nice to see people came out to assist you and you got the plants propped back up. Plants are very resilent. A plant root can break through concrete given enough time ;)

Wow, Meez, reading your glog is like reading a novel, one plot twist after another.
It broke my heart to see your marquee all shot to heck, and stuff strewn all over,
knowing how much effort you have expended on your 'homestead'. I know that
you are task-oriented, so the place will back to looking good shortly. Glad for you
that you were able to save most of your plants. How did all the ducks, geese,
chickens, sheep and dogs weather the storm? Sorry that you have to spend so
much time cleaning up instead of going forward. Hopefully you will have things
back on track soon, buddy. Good vibes coming your way, my friend.

Thanks Paul, yes it is a bit of a novel i must admit, i write shit as i see shit.

Anyhow i was carted off in the Ambo on Friday, spent the weekend checking out nurses arses (some good, some not so good) but yeah i was pretty f**ked Friday evening but better now.

So i came out Monday arvo, back to the farm & Danny had made a chill shelter for the plants, i call it "Frankentent" i sorted out the floor (important stuff) and wrapped some shade cloth around.

f**k it, check the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzl-Q5llUT4&feature=youtu.be

Mez/

Geez and the novel takes another twist :D ;). Seriously though bro take it easy ... we can repot plants but I am not so sure we will be able to repot you if you go ass over turkey :D. Anyway hope you are OK now.
Good to see your Chilli's are getting back on there feet as well.

Dang Mezo, isn't this thing called life an interesting thing? Seems like just as everything is going great we get a curve chucked at us. Well, it keeps us on our toes. I glad to hear your doing better and that things are coming back to something resembling order. Take care Mate and keep that pinch of powder handy.

Bill

I bet one or two of the nurses took a look at your address on your file :P Seriously though, you still have the 7-Pot Brown? ;) Your new chili area looks rather respectable for being constructed in such a short time too.

Reactions: nee
I should have said it wasn't my ticker why i was in hospital, i had severe throat infection & was unable to drink/eat or speak even. Its real hot now & i was not getting any fluids in me for three days, by friday evening it got to the stage i couldn't even get my heart medication down my throat (to swollen) so by 6pm friday evening i was on a bed with a drip in me & lots of needles being poked in me.

I had not eaten in 48hrs which is not so important but fluids are critical as is taking my heart meds.

Mezo.

I should have said it wasn't my ticker why i was in hospital, i had severe throat infection & was unable to drink/eat or speak even. Its real hot now & i was not getting any fluids in me for three days, by friday evening it got to the stage i couldn't even get my heart medication down my throat (to swollen) so by 6pm friday evening i was on a bed with a drip in me & lots of needles being poked in me.

I had not eaten in 48hrs which is not so important but fluids are critical as is taking my heart meds.

Mezo.
Good thing the people from Brisbane came down to help you.

Damn Mezo, thats one hell of a story. I dare say if that happened to me, I would be in hospital. From a heart attack or from mentally losing it I don't know. Interesting thing is in the end you may end up in front as that tent seemed to be on its last legs. It is still early in the season and your plants have time to grow back. Keep your chin up mate, those plants will grow chillies this year I'm sure. ;)

I think your spot on there JayMan, ive not seen an aphid or ant in seven days now. :dance:

Even though it was a bit of a shock & total stress out i think it was meant to be, whoooo, spooky eh.

So today (slowly) ive been shifting a few plants in the new "Frankentent" and surprisingly there are pods gallore a happening.
This below is a pic of Dave`s "Super Scorp" seven days after having its head lopped off in said storm.

superscorp3-1.jpg

A better shot,,taken with my Nikon CP5000 (5mp non SLR camera) don't know why anyone would find that interesting, i mean they can always look in my profile to see what camera im using right?

superscorp4-1.jpg

So the "Super Scorp" lives on, i do have another but this one was the champ out of the two.

Here is a picture (below) of the same plant seven days ago, the day the storm hit, pretty resilient eh.

superscorp5.jpg

I was given a present by Cliff`y (who helped on the clear up one week ago) ive given him a few plants to grown in his garden back in Brisbane in autumn & he felt a bit sorry for my chilli operation & sent me some of these "black something or other" don't you just love it when friends bring you a plant with no idea of the name? "i dunno Mez its black something"

Any ideas guys?

BlackChilli1.jpg

BlackChilli2.jpg

So here is inside "Frankentent" lots more plant to rescue yet, but these are my most precious ones.

frankentent1.jpg

frankentent2.jpg

frankentent3.jpg

Cross pollination? do you think i care right now? id be just happy to get a chilli fix in the new year.

Mez.

Back