• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Well seemed its cooled off ive been shuffling pots around, giving the bigger ones a bit more room to breath & its now i can really see the pods growing, when they are green they just blend in.

It would seem i have a least a handful of mature Douglah plants so that`s real handy, one of them is pumping out pods (still green) but i can compare against the others, after the big storm that destroyed the tent i wasn't really sure what i had left.

A lot of the labels had been ripped off so some are "mystery plants" but for sure they will be super hots.

Dave`s (3/5king) super scorp is bouncing back even though it was snapped clean in half & was merely a twig, plus i had another younger one that is now going real well, so that`s good as i wanted to them to grow just out of curiosity.

I must admit i thought that was the end of my season after that storm but its remarkable how resilient these plants are, i think we (us chilli heads) do a better job of killing them with over loving.

Mezo.

Good to see the chilli grow is back on track and you're doing well.

The plants are tough once they get to a good size. I dropped a nearly full watering can onto some plants and crushed their branches right down, but I just lifted and propped them back up and they have grown on no troubles.

Reactions: nee
the one in the background has the shape of a douglah. Trinagular & flattened out tip.

This is making a bit of sense now, i checked my order earlier in the year with Judy & these are Trinidad Douglah, Judy writes,,,

"Trinidad Douglah is mistakenly named as Trinidad 7pod brown , they are two different varieties Trinidad Douglah is smaller in size, thinner skin, more bumpy rough skin, and absolutely hotter while the Trinidad 7pod brown bigger in pod size, skin more smooth glossy .

And her description & pictures looks identical to what i have growing, these are the same plant but different angle so you can see the bottom flat bit.

Douglah3.jpg

And a green one form the same plant,,

Douglah4.jpg

And below is another plant labelled as Douglah with the same looking pod.

Douglah2.jpg

Now the 7 pod brown is what people also call Douglah & that`s where i was confused, i think i have only two of these plants growing? it was probably the hardest of any chilli to germinate.

Got another bag of potting mix this morning & another half a dozen 300m pots, i also scored another two kilo of prawn shells from Christmas day so in the morning its going to be a busy time, total of 120+ litres of potting mix, thirteen 300mm pots.

Ive already pulled aside the plants earmarked for transplanting (flowering already) and aching to be put in a bigger home.

Mezo.

Heya Mez,

So the prawn shells are working then? I've had a heap of trouble with the browns and douglahs and the only ones I've germinated this summer have been the browns which 2 of the 10 seeds kicked off. So I'm being really attentive to both those plants and if both of them keep going strong you can have one of them if you like mate, with such a small backyard at my place and with so many plants cranking I can't really keep them all.

Cheers mate,

Im wading through the plants tomorrow & ill see if i can find the 7P Browns, i had a good look but couldn't see them but im 90% sure ive got two in there somewhere.

Yep the prawn shells do work, well they do as far as a fertilizer anyhow, ill have to wait a couple of months to do a blind taste test to see if the heat is greater, but Trish pointed out only an hour ago by saying " have you see your experiment Mez" i had not studied it as ive been busy but she had noticed that the plant "with" stem had grow to equal the one "without" & if you remember i had put the skinnier smaller underdog in the "with" pot.

So yep the one with is doing much better than without 100% fact, so that`s real encouraging as im putting 2KG`s shared in to 13 pots in the morning, it smells like a dead rat round here as these prawns shells have been sitting 30c sun since Christmas day.

Mezo.

Num Num num I think I just had a little sick moment bourban went up the wrong way.. :D Just to let ya know I've got lots of primo seedlings and a few giant naga seedlings and those two browns, your welcome to a few of the others aswell they will most likely be going to have to go to the way side. I've figured I may aswell only grow 5-6 plants otherwise I fruitfly are to much of a pain.

Well its been an interesting day of potting up, once i opened the bag of rotting prawn shells every fly for miles descended on me, hundreds of the things & Aussie is not short on fly`s (trust me) so they were in my eyes, ears & i even swallowed a fly, i don't know why i just swallowed that fly, ect ect.

I will take another movie of the garden so you can see how its coming along & post it later or tomorrow (gotta get dinner on the go soon) so i may not get time tonight.

But i did find the two 7 pod browns in amongst the many plants, still small but still alive.

Remember Dave`s (3/5King) Super Scorp that was snapped clean in half? this was the picture after the storm on the 4th of December.

superscorp5.jpg

Then eight days later some leaves started growing back.

superscorp3-1.jpg

superscorp4-1.jpg

Well eighteen days after that shot this is the Super Scorp today.

superscorp5-1.jpg

Don`t believe me? well here's a close up of the snapped stem.

superscorp6.jpg

Pretty amazing comeback i thought. :dance:

More later,

Mezo.

Quick vid of the superhots, i moved the hab`s two months ago to the old veggie patch but never got a chance to plant them so they are still sitting in pots, and may be for a long time yet? not worried about the hab`s its the superhots im more interested in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk8CE33nilI&feature=youtu.be

Mezo.

very informative update. Especially like the Morich, Brain, & Piri piri as I've not been able to grow them yet. Impressive variety. Bet those red douglahs will be sufficiently hot as well :fireball: Anyway, thanks for the udate, things seem to be going rather well [fingers crossed], and early happy new years Mez!!! :cheers:

dot com

Nice vid there mate, just had some visitors from Perth over yesterday, and they're getting away from the mid summer sun 40+ deg. Wish we could meet in the middle somewhere. so fed up of these short days.

That super scorp looks like a real fighter. I would imagine, growing lots of new main shoots rather than one main shoots will result in more buds and fruit, and you've still got plenty of warm weather left so you'll either be laughing, or crying from chilli burn! lol. J

Thanks guys, it was quicker to do vid & you get to see the whole picture, ill save the shots when i have some real interesting pods.

The Piri Piri are all in one sack (20 odd) ive done this also with Thai Birdseye (25 odd) & also Firecrackers, they don't seem to mind being crammed together.

I was just nosing in the old veggie patch where i have stack of hab`s in pots (still waiting to be planted) and found a couple of Wiri Wiri`s fruiting nicely so ill re-pot them in to bigger pots later & take some pics, pea shaped pods.

Ive got my first lot of peppers in the dryer now (Bhuts & Douglah) that dryer is going to be chocca`s with pods, not even sure if its going to be big enough to cope with all the stuff im growing?? gulp.

And yep that Super Scorp should be real bushy now & more fruit that if id left it alone.

Mezo.

Back