• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Well i was going to take some snaps tonight but i only got one shot of the Wiri Wiri & then the battery's went on the camera.

wiriwiri4.jpg

Here are some shots taken a couple of days ago just before they went in the dryer, Bhut Jolokia first.

dehydrating24.jpg

And below are Douglah.

Douglah5.jpg

And finally a couple of Naga Morich.

nagamorich2.jpg

If you think any of my pics don't look like what they should please let me know wont you, seeds & labels do get mixed up.

Mezo.

Ive not even tried one yet, i got 2kg of local ground yearling beef today from the butcher & im making up some spicy dishes with it next week, tacho`s, spag bol, etc etc.

One thing i am spoiled with living in the country is the quality of the meat, its cattle country here & the beef is divine, none of this Wooly`s or Coles dog shite, its aged (hung) yearling beef not old milkers passed off in fancy packaging its the real McCoy. If you blokes in Vegas had a bite of the gear im eating you would never want to eat anything else.

Whilst in town i also grabbed 2 x 60ltr bags of potting mix & another ten 300mm pots.

Mezo.

It's been one big battle for ya, Meez, but booya! It's finally paying off!!! :onfire:

Cheers Gas, yep i nearly gave up a couple of times to be honest but lucky i like gardening.

I sat there today thinking "what if all my plants were now fruiting?" i wouldn't be able to cope, im going to be flat out in the coming months slicing & drying this lot & remember ive lost half my plants !! bit silly of me to think i could manage all them plants i had originally.

Mezo.

HEHE Mez I caught on long ago about the crap that gets passed off as meat around town I buy all my meat in bulk from http://www.bannockbrae.com.au/ they are north of toowoomba and breed are rear their own cattle every cut no matter what the type is juicy and almost butter like to chew... And yes I bring my own meat to friends and family BBQs :D Now I'm making myself hungry

My parents in England do the same, they know & trust a farmer up in North Yorkshire (where they had a second home) and would order up the cuts they wanted & then bring it down south & freeze it.

I loved going round there`s for Sunday dinner. :P

What pisses me off is the price Wolly`s & Coles charge for crap meat, even my little dog Buddy here is fed on this meat, they only charge me a couple of bucks for a giant bag for him which lasts all week, i could live on Buddy`s scraps alone.

Mezo.

Yea its crap, my missus brother took back some meat back to woolies that was green on the underside of the meat and the comment from the guy at woolies was it musn't have been gased properly Woolworths the Preservative people should be their lingo.

Cheers Gas, yep i nearly gave up a couple of times to be honest but lucky i like gardening.

I sat there today thinking "what if all my plants were now fruiting?" i wouldn't be able to cope, im going to be flat out in the coming months slicing & drying this lot & remember ive lost half my plants !! bit silly of me to think i could manage all them plants i had originally.

Mezo.

I thought I would never say it but I'm actually fed up with slicing, drying and all that ATM! It's all good when your plants start producing and it feels like you haven't seen fresh pods in like a hundred years but now it's feeling like a daily chore. Get home from work, check if plants need a watering and if so do so, harvest good pods/dispose of bad pods, bag newly forming pods to protect against fruit fly, wash and sort pods, bag pods and find room in freezer to store pods, take old pods out of dehydrator and cut new pods and put in dehydrator, deseed pods, bag already dried seed, daydream for 10 mins about actually having time to make use of pods, then it's off to bed so I can get up and do it all over again tomorrow..................... :lol:

Mez, it’s amazing how much your picture of the Wiri Wiri looks like my Thai Hot but I’m assuming you’re plant is much biger, while on the other hand mine seems to look very small. Great pictures of the Bhut Jolokia, Douglahs and Naga Morich, love dem!

Especially them Bhuts.... they is gnarly!

But that black dot on one of 'em, that's not a, umm...... sting... is it? :scared:

(Don't mind me.... I'm probably just being paranoid!)

It's been one big battle for ya, Meez, but booya! It's finally paying off!!! :onfire:
^ that :)
I thought I would never say it but I'm actually fed up with slicing, drying and all that ATM! It's all good when your plants start producing and it feels like you haven't seen fresh pods in like a hundred years but now it's feeling like a daily chore. Get home from work, check if plants need a watering and if so do so, harvest good pods/dispose of bad pods, bag newly forming pods to protect against fruit fly, wash and sort pods, bag pods and find room in freezer to store pods, take old pods out of dehydrator and cut new pods and put in dehydrator, deseed pods, bag already dried seed, daydream for 10 mins about actually having time to make use of pods, then it's off to bed so I can get up and do it all over again tomorrow..................... :lol:
rolmao. yeah, but its a labor of love ;)

I also see Buddy returned after the storm?

I thought I would never say it but I'm actually fed up with slicing, drying and all that ATM!

I know what your saying, i was a bit over it by the end of season, then i think of Jeffs grow & think "hey its not that many"

Mez, it’s amazing how much your picture of the Wiri Wiri looks like my Thai Hot but I’m assuming you’re plant is much bigger

No its actually a small plant & it will re-pot it today, i did check on Google images to make sure its Wiri Wiri & yep confirmed.

I also see Buddy returned after the storm?

Yep the "Budster or Budzilla" appeared out of nowhere about an hour after the storm, still don't know where he took cover.
I had a look at some of the trees that was trashed on our property last week, snapped clean in half halfway up there trunks.

I went up to my neighbour up on the mountain next door, he had lost 40 odd trees in the storm, one giant was just blown clean over pulling the roots out of the ground & another on the ridge line was again snapped clean in two half way up it trunk & it was a very big tree (fat trunk) so the sheer force to snap a tree trunk in half was totally amazing & the reason i crapped myself.

Mezo.

I went up to my neighbour up on the mountain next door, he had lost 40 odd trees in the storm, one giant was just blown clean over pulling the roots out of the ground & another on the ridge line was again snapped clean in two half way up it trunk & it was a very big tree (fat trunk) so the sheer force to snap a tree trunk in half was totally amazing & the reason i crapped myself.

Wow that must have been a serious storm to pull down time tested old trees like that! At least England's not at wild as that, just constant overcast, drizzle and the odd flood up north

They say when peppers are exposed to extremes they are hotter right? Your peppers must be nuclear!!! :D Good luck (fingers crossed) w/ the rest of the season Mez. Looks like you have had a nice haul already though. You're a bona fide, certified, veteran pepper grower now. No one can take that away from you because you have the ripe peppers to prove it. This is your 1st season right? I'm only 2- 3 seasons in because I grow indoors in the off-season as well so I'm producing year round.

As an aside, I put some of my homegrown/homemade choc habanero sauce in my soup tonight :fireball: My sauce is just choc habs, vinegar, & salt.

Nice lil harvest from the bhuts Mezo. When the summer comes around here its just water water water till the pods turns ripe.... Just keep your head up and garden on...

This is your 1st season right?

This is my first proper season, i started this glog eleven months ago midway through the season with a handful of Bhut Jolokia`s & then found this forum, that`s when the pepper bug gets you. LoL

I was just planting every seed not thinking they would turn in to big plants with lots of fruit, its a full time job now.

When the summer comes around here its just water water water till the pods turns ripe.... Just keep your head up and garden on...

Ive been to San Diego when i was 19 yrs old with a couple of mates & know the climate, its very similar to Perth (Western Australia) where i lived for five years, its one of only five Mediterranean climate zones in the world & the summers are hot & dry.

Here on the east coast its dominated by the tropics up north & the summers are hot/wet & real humid, having said that we are not getting that much rain this year & this morning was spent pumping 3000 litres of water out of the river in to tanks.

After that chore it was back to potting, i am making headway through the plants & i think ive got about 60 left to do know.

Mezo.

Just read this thread from the beginning. . you just took me on a wild ride Mezo.. Thanks for sharing.
We just caught the edge of that big storm and we are probably 30 k's as the crow flys from you.
Sorry to see the destruction.. I work out at Kyogle and would be interesting to have a beer one day..

Cheers and thanks again, Tim

Back