• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

Fantastic.... First video I have watched in 6 months.. I was secretly dreading starting up to eat fresh supers again but I am getting excited now..... I have been living off of Chris's Chocolate Thunder Powder all winter. Your plants looks great! Good luck this season!

Thanks Michael, I know exactly what you mean about the dread...I think that it is the time in between. Once I pop the first fresh one of the season, ill be hooked again until I get taken out by a gut bomb....then I cringe until I get another good one....

Man I get a kick out of watching your videos. "Don't judge me, I don't judge you." Still love that line.
Can't believe you kept the head warmer on that long. Had to be warm. Then the explanation of the costume... wonderful.

You have no idea how hot it got! But, I had to be in character so I bit the bullet...

hahahaha...video was crazy! Great review!

Thanks Shane, I am glad you could enjoy my pain....

Love the glog. Keep up the good work man!

Thanks!

Ok folks, I need your professional assistance! I do not know what I am going to double up on. Below is what I have on hand (O/H), what I am planting, and what I have surplus.

814b699b.jpg

b8b51e18.jpg

I have decided to go in ground for the plant out, and I am going to go with 4' wide rows which will give me 2 rows of plants (staggered). Right now I am in between 4 15' rows which will give me room for 60 plants with 2' OC, or 3 18' rows which will give me 54 plants with 2' OC. As you can see from my spreadsheet, I have to have at a minimum 47 plants if I want 1 of each and 2 Biker Billys. Shit, I just realized I have an Ancho 101 coming from CCN, and it is not on my list. SOOOOOO, I have a minimum of 48 plants. :lol:

This means that I have the opportunity of adding 8 or 17 to the mix. What I am hoping to achieve is doubling up on varieties that may not be heavy producers, varieties that are more useful, varieties that are better tasting, and really anything that most people would want more of. I am not planning on eating all of these, I may do a bit of powder, but not with everything. I am more in it because I enjoy the hobby and like to watch them grow. I am going to be sending a lot of packages out to people, so the varieties that would be more well received are the ones I want to double up on.

So lets hear it! What should I grow more of???

Hey, Matt - great that you're thinking of double digging - I have done it a couple of times, and it produces very well. Key they say is getting soil analyzed and then seeing what you need to amend with ahead of time if you want to dial it in. I never did that don't tell the double digging police but did turn in some general stuff like manure and compost. I assume you ran across some of the John Jevons Biointensive gardening stuff? You probably know your soil well enough to get a great bed.

Good luck with the dig - I think it is a lot of work, but worth the effort especially if you will use the bed for at least several years.

MG!! What up? Plants are lookin great! Same with the kid. Looks like you'll be to busy to join the TD huh? Ohwell, its probably for the best that you don't show. I mean you'll never make it as close as you did last month anyway! :)
But things are looking good so far man.
Aaron

Do like I am and just say Eff it and grow the ALL!!! They're all mine MINE MINE MINE!!!!! Did I mention what I do for he Navy...I am a MINEMAN!!! That part is actually true! I would double up on the Fatalii first, and then Chocolate Habs. Then I would alternate between Yellows and Chocolates until full. Or I would add a few more Jals. I use the hell out of Jals for poppers and making chipotle mayo. I've only used a few supers in sauces and a little goes a long way. I think I have 10 or 12 Jalapeno plants??? I will use them all...

Hey, Matt - great that you're thinking of double digging - I have done it a couple of times, and it produces very well. Key they say is getting soil analyzed and then seeing what you need to amend with ahead of time if you want to dial it in. I never did that don't tell the double digging police but did turn in some general stuff like manure and compost. I assume you ran across some of the John Jevons Biointensive gardening stuff? You probably know your soil well enough to get a great bed.

Good luck with the dig - I think it is a lot of work, but worth the effort especially if you will use the bed for at least several years.

UM....Never heard of John Jevons....I have been reading my PaulG literature and heard about this amazing thing called "double digging"....the guy mentioning it sounded like he knew what he was talking about..... :lol:

BUT I will definitely check out this John guy, I am sure I will learn much more about it. I did have my soil tested, and in all reality I was just looking to get ph, but they gave me a complete rundown on everything. I am really not the best at interpreting this stuff, and posted it in my other thread (raised bed soil and transplant hole food), but I will post the report at the bottom of this response. If you, or anyone can tell me anything about it or recommend anything, then holla!

MG!! What up? Plants are lookin great! Same with the kid. Looks like you'll be to busy to join the TD huh? Ohwell, its probably for the best that you don't show. I mean you'll never make it as close as you did last month anyway! :)
But things are looking good so far man.
Aaron

You won't be saying that when there is a crown under my beautiful face.

Do like I am and just say Eff it and grow the ALL!!! They're all mine MINE MINE MINE!!!!! Did I mention what I do for he Navy...I am a MINEMAN!!! That part is actually true! I would double up on the Fatalii first, and then Chocolate Habs. Then I would alternate between Yellows and Chocolates until full. Or I would add a few more Jals. I use the hell out of Jals for poppers and making chipotle mayo. I've only used a few supers in sauces and a little goes a long way. I think I have 10 or 12 Jalapeno plants??? I will use them all...

Actually, you are a Senior Chief, which means you WERE a mineman....Now you come up with duty rosters and tell people to QUIT RUNNING IN THE GANGWAY! It is ok, I have a couple more years before I am doing the same thing.

But I think that planting some more jals is the first thing getting added to the list. I will probably use them 6 or 8 times more than anything else. Hmmm..Fataliis and Choco Habs should be next by that logic, so maybe just work my way from the least heat up...I don't know. I actually PMd Dale from Baker's Peppers and he had a great method for shipping plants, basically he watered really well, wrapped the pot and stem up to the first leaves in plastic, then wrapped the whole plant in layers of newspaper, and then in bubble wrap. Then stick it in the box and fit the wrapping so that nothing moves around. I also ordered a dozen live plants from CCN, which will be in the second week of April and I may just use that box to send some people some plants. I was thinking about just finding a noob who missed the boat on seed starting and send him a little care package of potnential fire....

Here is my Soil Report and if anyone can tell me anything or recommend anything please do:

There are 4 samples all from the same area (within 400 sq ft). I ripped out my raised beds after the growing season and spread the used soil around the yard to make the area flat. The samples are from right under where each bed was (L 4X4, R 4X4), the yard that was untouched right next to the plot (E Yard), and finally in betwen the beds where I just mulched (mulch).

Soil.jpg

Lastly, I was planning on waitng until May 1st to plant anything in the ground. But the way that this winter has been, coupled with the daily 75+ temps has made me start to think about moving that date up. This is the frost analysis for my county
FrostDates.jpg

And this is the April Forecast
Forecast.jpg

What do you think?

You guys left out a hydro graphic survey of the local coastline, sonabouy data, farmers almanac temp readings from the last 25 yrs, and perhaps even some kh12 overflight sat data.Meteorological deviations as related to jet stream altitude and seasonal deviations, and a presowing alcohol consumption correlation study as related to its relevance as to the spring solstice.....crap, you guys just fly by the seats of your pants?Matt- If you are running IN a gangway that would be impressive..."across the quarterdeck" would be more suitable however for arguments' sake....but please resist the impulse to send the Sr Chief that magnetized coffee mug :shame: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Flight Quarters, Flight Quarters, all hands man your flight quarters, wear no covers topside, throw no covers over the side.....ALWAYS when you are trying to sleep!!!

The John Jevons book is called "How to Grow More Vegetables Than You Ever Thought Possible in Less Space Than You Can Imagine" It's a real encyclopedia of organic gardening, based on 40 years of research into the Biointensive Gardening method.

Thanks Paul, I will check that out!

I just watched a DIY vid about an easy DWC hydro setup and I really, really wanna give it a shot. I figured I have a ton of extra plants, why not try growing a couple outdoors in it....Any tips or recommendaitons??

Yup. I am freaking blown away at those GHouse plants. Gonna build his DWC. I am thinking 4 total cuz I can get a 4 power pump for about 20 bucks.

Roger- I figure 4 will keep me loaded through the winter,and occupy a corner w/ 2 grow lights....just gotta figure out what to get the wife so she will not try to have me committed.

Thanks Paul, I will check that out!

I just watched a DIY vid about an easy DWC hydro setup and I really, really wanna give it a shot. I figured I have a ton of extra plants, why not try growing a couple outdoors in it....Any tips or recommendaitons??

glad to see that you will be keeping more plants! :clap: lol, more is almost always better!

and I keep looking over to that DWC thing, it looks really nice, but I'm all full up with stuff for this year, so by next year I will probably give it a shot

Ok so when last oldest unread in My Content is halfway down the second page I knew I would have a good bit of catching up to do here. Nice videos Matt. Looking good. In ground would definitely be better. 2 raised beds killed me last year, but the only other option was to dig out the 4-5 inch deep sod that was started in the 50's like I did with the 200[sup]2[/sup] out back years ago. That would have sucked. Sounds like you have workable ground. I predict more interesting video will be coming. Let me get ready...
popcorn.gif
Ok I am ready.

It does seem once ya plant them up they take off, you weather looks good, but you better have a way to get um back in if ya get a cold snap, not likley... but.

glad to see that you will be keeping more plants! :clap: lol, more is almost always better!

and I keep looking over to that DWC thing, it looks really nice, but I'm all full up with stuff for this year, so by next year I will probably give it a shot

Yea I still will be giving a bunch away, but I am gonna stick a few in a DWC setup, and double up on some of the ones that I will use more.

Ok so when last oldest unread in My Content is halfway down the second page I knew I would have a good bit of catching up to do here. Nice videos Matt. Looking good. In ground would definitely be better. 2 raised beds killed me last year, but the only other option was to dig out the 4-5 inch deep sod that was started in the 50's like I did with the 200[sup]2[/sup] out back years ago. That would have sucked. Sounds like you have workable ground. I predict more interesting video will be coming. Let me get ready...
popcorn.gif
Ok I am ready.

:rofl: Standby for MGOLD86 VS Double Digging video....gonna be epic!

It does seem once ya plant them up they take off, you weather looks good, but you better have a way to get um back in if ya get a cold snap, not likley... but.

Yea, I think I am gonna wait. I talked to our local Horticulture rep from the state college and she said that the 20th is what she recommends. It was 75 yesterday and so sunny that when I was on the range shooting I got burnt to a crisp. It didn't help that I was there with 50 brand new Marines that have never done a combat shoot in their lives...BUT, I woke up today to 40 degrees. That is a pretty good indication that I should hold off a few more weeks.

I am getting ready to go and give the Clearex a shot. I have some tip burns on my older plants and have read that it could be due to a buildup of salts in the soil. I figure that I might as well give it a shot, I got it for free....The bottle recommends that for soil applications you use it every 7 to 21 days and I have had them in this pot with no flushings since early Feb. I will make sure to report the results.

Psh.. it's like 30 degrees here now, I hate it.. and it was 75 or high 70s all last week.. I want the warm weather back! have fun tilling/digging, spent the last week or more tilling like crazy to expand the garden.. it's up to ~1800sq ft... and I still don't have enough room for all the peppers I have haha, did a count last night and realized I will have a lot more around the house and in pots than I thought previously. I have a pic on my phone of a bolder that I dug out of the garden the other day.. good time, and put some gypsum in there today to give that a shot.. anyways should be good to see the fun vid of you digging! it will make me feel better at least to know someone else is suffering haha, but it is fun getting closer to planting time

[quote name='MGOLD86' timestamp='1332537155' post='592862]
This means that I have the opportunity of adding 8 or 17 to the mix. What I am hoping to achieve is doubling up on varieties that may not be heavy producers, varieties that are more useful, varieties that are better tasting, and really anything that most people would want more of. I am not planning on eating all of these, I may do a bit of powder, but not with everything. I am more in it because I enjoy the hobby and like to watch them grow. I am going to be sending a lot of packages out to people, so the varieties that would be more well received are the ones I want to double up on.

So lets hear it! What should I grow more of???
[/quote]

I was thinking of growing more of the varieties that are in higher demand too. Chocolate habaneros, bhut jolokia yellow, brain strain yellow, TS morouga, and TS yellow are currently sold out at thepepperlover. I don't think she sells primos yet. I think primos will be in high demand. I don't know which ones are heavy producers or not. However, pepperlover describes the Morouga as not being as prolific as the original TS. I know from reading that bhut jolokias have a self incompatibility issue (reducing their production) so another one of those might be good. I should get my hands on Pimenta da Neyde seeds soon from a seed trade. I think I'm going to grow an extra so I can get some more seeds out there.

I have moved all my kids onto the porch. That way I can bring them inside at night and do a gradual harden off. It also makes me feel as if I'm moving closer to the garden which makes me less antsy about the whole in-ground thing. This spring fever is a dangerous thing. Dangerous I tell you.

Back