• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

Your plots are looking good!

One suggestion would be , since this is the 1st yr of planting edibles in that area I would do a soil sample test. Since that was the lawn area, what have you treated your lawn with in the past?
Beyond that point, I would spend the money on soil additives Bone/blood meals, worm castings, compost , perlite or torpedo sand if your soil holds water. Use whatever you buy mixed in with existing soil and around the planting holes only. No need to do the whole garden area ($$$).
At the end of the season I like to add garden lime and addition compost to my beds.
In the beginning of next season you can till the soil, each year that you add the compost and the other amendments you will be building the foundation for future plantings.........it doesn't happen all the 1st season.
One other suggestion is to "hill" your plantings and space with rows or paths "Waywright, Winchicken, the Guru" amongst others do it that way. If I had your yard layout I would definetly do so, That procedure helps dearly with drain off with heavy rains and if your not using mulch ,it helps out with the weeding (makes it easier to yank out the weeds from either side of the rows) ....... When I've done that in the past I've used "untreated" "after going to seed" grass clippings on the walk ways......that helps keep the weeds down, looks neat, breaks down over time , adds to the soil amending and gets tilled back into the ground in the spring.
Well no more suggestions............since its the "evil hour".....time to get ready for work............... :cry:

Greg

he did a soil sample test a few pages back, but as far as your statement for the raised rows/"hills" generally how high do you suggest, because I have always done raised rows, and the last few years I have figured I would really raise them a bit since I had the energy and figured it would be better, up to almost a 1', but they were not that wide, so my problem was that when it rained over the year, the roots wouldn't be able to grow out to the sides very much because the hill ended.

I had noticed that Matt hadn't raised anything yet and I figured he would do that once he got the compost and stuff in, but since he hasn't gone into it, and I have an idea of how I will do mine (different than before, more of a raised rectangle than actual row), I was curious to see what some people thought was a good height for heavier soil, from the original level of the soil, and then after you make the small rows, which would really just make the raised section a little higher.

Nice job, dude, your plants are looking like champs. You got about 3 or 4 years of experience this year trying everything! I just did a 2-wk MGold Glog catch-up. Whew! That double-digging had ME breaking a sweat. I scrapped my roto-tiller about 5 years ago and do the deep dig like that in beds now. It gets easier to turn every year and Worms dig it! It's old news now, but I ran a small sample test comparing the Hoffman's starter mix vs Pro Mix for my last batch of starts. These were all more vigorous growing C. Annuums and there was no noticable difference. FWIW, I used Pro Mix to start my 'maters, broccoli, onions and eggplant--no problemo. I'd have to disagree with you on bottom watering and the ability of Pro Mix to drain and dry well, especially in smaller containers. But I can't, because it's your birthday and you are king! P.S. your Ramen entry woulda rocked

To be honest, I think it is more of a watering habit thing. I am sure that I overwatered everything early on, and it took a while to kinda get the hang of it. I think that the Hoffman's held in more water (which is funny because PROMIX is like a F'N Sponge), and I just never got the whole "watering from the bottom" thing. Since I started to water from the top, things have turned around. Everything in the small containers look pretty freaking good, but the big ones are my trouble kids. I think that the PROMIX (even amended with extra pearlite) is still too heavy. I almost lost a few to overwatering (which was really just poor drainage). This is one of the main reasons I am chompin at the bit to get these things in the ground. They are too big for the little containers, but putting them in the big ones will not be good....Next season I am gonna reconsider my container soil.

Your plots are looking good! One suggestion would be , since this is the 1st yr of planting edibles in that area I would do a soil sample test. Since that was the lawn area, what have you treated your lawn with in the past? Beyond that point, I would spend the money on soil additives Bone/blood meals, worm castings, compost , perlite or torpedo sand if your soil holds water. Use whatever you buy mixed in with existing soil and around the planting holes only. No need to do the whole garden area ($$$). At the end of the season I like to add garden lime and addition compost to my beds. In the beginning of next season you can till the soil, each year that you add the compost and the other amendments you will be building the foundation for future plantings.........it doesn't happen all the 1st season. One other suggestion is to "hill" your plantings and space with rows or paths "Waywright, Winchicken, the Guru" amongst others do it that way. If I had your yard layout I would definetly do so, That procedure helps dearly with drain off with heavy rains and if your not using mulch ,it helps out with the weeding (makes it easier to yank out the weeds from either side of the rows) ....... When I've done that in the past I've used "untreated" "after going to seed" grass clippings on the walk ways......that helps keep the weeds down, looks neat, breaks down over time , adds to the soil amending and gets tilled back into the ground in the spring. Well no more suggestions............since its the "evil hour".....time to get ready for work............... :cry: Greg

Thanks Greg. Max is correct that I did get my soil tested this season. Last year I had raised beds in that location, and I mixed a super poor draining soil mix (50/50 compost topsoil and nothing else). This pretty much doomed my plants from the start. I removed all the soil and had 4 tests done in the area (2 under the beds and 2 in the untouched grassy areas). I leaned more towards the untouched area because I am digging when I started to consider my amendments. I have 12-0-0 Bloodmeal because my analysis said that I was lacking in N (1lb per 1000 sq ft) and it also recommended a little bit of K. I figured I would use the Bloodmeal on the whole plot, and then add something like Tomato Tone (3-4-6) in the planting hole. I am not 100%, still kinda working through it. As for the hilling, I was planning on giving the rows a bit of a "hill". I already dug the plots, so even spacing in between all 8 rows is too late, but I can still hill 2 rows from each plot and that should help. Oh, and I also got 4 yds of "topsoil blend" which has organic mulches, as well as compost and pine fines. I will be spreading one yd per plot.

Great job Matt, congratulations my friend :woohoo:

Thanks! I hope everything stays on track!

he did a soil sample test a few pages back, but as far as your statement for the raised rows/"hills" generally how high do you suggest, because I have always done raised rows, and the last few years I have figured I would really raise them a bit since I had the energy and figured it would be better, up to almost a 1', but they were not that wide, so my problem was that when it rained over the year, the roots wouldn't be able to grow out to the sides very much because the hill ended.

I had noticed that Matt hadn't raised anything yet and I figured he would do that once he got the compost and stuff in, but since he hasn't gone into it, and I have an idea of how I will do mine (different than before, more of a raised rectangle than actual row), I was curious to see what some people thought was a good height for heavier soil, from the original level of the soil, and then after you make the small rows, which would really just make the raised section a little higher.
I see your point, when I had the oppurtunity to "wide row" I'd walk down the paths with a hoe dragging up the "soil" (and path grass clippings) to cover and exposed roots caused by erosion and weathering. The paths consisted of a continual layer of grass clippings, so each time I cut the lawn I'd scatter the grass onto the walkways. That helped keep the "mud" off my "converse"...ha
The clippings also helped mulch the soil around the plants. My rows were about 3ft wide at the base and 1ft high in the middle. The walkway's were 2 ft wide.........it was a residential garden with no room to spare.If your concerned about roots being exposed you could always set your plants slightly deeper at planting.

Greg

I see your point, when I had the oppurtunity to "wide row" I'd walk down the paths with a hoe dragging up the "soil" (and path grass clippings) to cover and exposed roots caused by erosion and weathering. The paths consisted of a continual layer of grass clippings, so each time I cut the lawn I'd scatter the grass onto the walkways. That helped keep the "mud" off my "converse"...ha
The clippings also helped mulch the soil around the plants. My rows were about 3ft wide at the base and 1ft high in the middle. The walkway's were 2 ft wide.........it was a residential garden with no room to spare.If your concerned about roots being exposed you could always set your plants slightly deeper at planting.

Greg
perfect thanks for that, I plan on putting maybe some straw with some left over wood chips(not a lot, just some to hold the straw down and make it look a little nice, then till it in at the end of the fall) that I have for the pathways, not really sure yet, but that is pretty similar to the size I plan on doing it, mine will be about the same but maybe not as wide pathways but all the plants will be planted in the center of the rows so it should be OK. thanks for the tip

anyways, Matt, when are we going to see some pics of the rows all done, then hopefully this weekend or so, the plant out! although I wonder if it is suppose to rain as bad down there as it is up hear this weekend

Dont freakin jinx me Max! Don't...you...do it!

Lol! I wish i had time right now to spend some time in the garden before this weekend, and I am still hoping I will have time this weekend.....I and in an excercise at work and have been working until like 6 and not getting home until almost 7. Then add wife and kid time, dinner, and then it is dark. Hopefully I can spend an hour or so tonight before it gets too late.

As far as the rain, I am Hoping it misses us. If not, then I will have to push back plant out.

Also, I think I am gonna go with a slightly sloped design for the rows, that way I can still get drainage and keep within my Already dug space. Lastly, I think as far as fertilizing goes, I am just goin to amend the plot. My soil analysis says I needed nitro, so I am gonna amend the entire plot and then plant. I have read some papers about the myth of feedin the plant hole and figure I will
Just make sure my soil had the nutrients needed and it will end up better in the long run. I plan on adding some worm castings in a few weeks to help with the micronutrients.

haha, woops!
I just realized that I'm suppose to work this entire weekend, in the rain, so yeah hopefully it changes and passes by, and down there it might hit either earlier or later, or not at all! depending on where it's coming from, so you should be good.

and what is the myth you read about feeding in the plant hole? just better growth?

So I made it in before the rains came! The weather said it was supposed to rain for the past 2 days and through tomorrow, again on Tuesday and then again on Thursday. I decided to just go ahead and put em in the ground. I had a good rain on Thursday and the soil was dry today. So if I am getting good drainage, the rains will be welcomed.

I have duty tomorrow and wont be able to work in the garden, so today was the day. Everything looks pretty great and I can't wait to see them really take off. I am walking into Mass and will try to get the video posted tonight if I have time.

Game on beechez!

nice man! that is awesome, I just finished getting all of my rows lined up (just staking them out, still need manure and some compost mixed in before I actually make them) but I can't wait to get them in the ground, must be nice to finally get them in there.. and with this rain, they should really take off next week with some good sun!

HMMM-,the myth of feeding the hole? I went with rows, with holes...the issue being the amount of ammendments needed to amend ALL the soil, or just the raised rows. The walk ways I leave just topsoil, the tilled raised rows were ammended and each plant got a 12" deep,14-16" across "oval" hole with the edges out to the"walkway" (so the water doesn't pool in the bottom of the "hole") ,and any top dressing will be with amended 2 yr old sugar cane bagasse. This method is fairly shovel intensive the first go around(the holes)-especially removing the clay....but has worked really well in the past for veggies and habs..so we'll see, next trip in will have me extending the rows to manage the last 20 or so in pots still. Currently the pots reside in the walkways with the drip system passing through the pots(which I finished an hour or so before hitting the road for a midnight boat to work!)....to dark for the garden shot, but I did post a few pics of the plants...good luck gettin em in the ground!

Thanks for posting the video on CCN plants. This is the first time I am ordering from them. Some I had
seeds to but didn't germinate, and a few others didn't get around to starting the seeds. It shippes out
April 30th. This is what I ordered.

7 POT
ANTILLAIS CARRIBBEAN
CAYENNE CAROLINA
CHILITEPIN PIMA BAJO
CHILITEPIN TARAHUMARA
DEL DIABLO
RED SAVINA
HONDURAS WILD
SPORT
TAKANOTSUME
THAI RED
TROTOLINO AMORAOSO

nice man! that is awesome, I just finished getting all of my rows lined up (just staking them out, still need manure and some compost mixed in before I actually make them) but I can't wait to get them in the ground, must be nice to finally get them in there.. and with this rain, they should really take off next week with some good sun!

I am keepin my fingers crossed....:pray: that this friggen cold snap doesn't wipe me out! lol. Gotta love my noobieness! We are gonna get 2 nights of 41 degree low temps. My ground temp is still in the low 60s even with the air temps lower. Good news is I have just about every variety that is in the ground as a surplus AND some more! From what I have read, the biggest issues could be stunted growth or lower yield. I am hopin that since we are gonna get plenty of Sunny 75 degree days after the next two, it won't be that big of an issue. Guess that is what I get....

HMMM-,the myth of feeding the hole? I went with rows, with holes...the issue being the amount of ammendments needed to amend ALL the soil, or just the raised rows. The walk ways I leave just topsoil, the tilled raised rows were ammended and each plant got a 12" deep,14-16" across "oval" hole with the edges out to the"walkway" (so the water doesn't pool in the bottom of the "hole") ,and any top dressing will be with amended 2 yr old sugar cane bagasse. This method is fairly shovel intensive the first go around(the holes)-especially removing the clay....but has worked really well in the past for veggies and habs..so we'll see, next trip in will have me extending the rows to manage the last 20 or so in pots still. Currently the pots reside in the walkways with the drip system passing through the pots(which I finished an hour or so before hitting the road for a midnight boat to work!)....to dark for the garden shot, but I did post a few pics of the plants...good luck gettin em in the ground!

Yea, from what I have read, if the entire plot isn't similar in nutrients the roots can "pool" around the nutrient heavy soil and avoid branching out into the rest. My soil report said I needed 1lb per 1k sq ft of N, so I used the bloodmeal on the entire plot. To help the root system develop and get a jump on the planting I amended the hole with 3-4-6 tomato tone. The lower N will balance out the bloodmeal and the P and K will be just enough to give me an even keel across the plot.

Thanks for posting the video on CCN plants. This is the first time I am ordering from them. Some I had
seeds to but didn't germinate, and a few others didn't get around to starting the seeds. It shippes out
April 30th. This is what I ordered.

7 POT
ANTILLAIS CARRIBBEAN
CAYENNE CAROLINA
CHILITEPIN PIMA BAJO
CHILITEPIN TARAHUMARA
DEL DIABLO
RED SAVINA
HONDURAS WILD
SPORT
TAKANOTSUME
THAI RED
TROTOLINO AMORAOSO

Thanks for stoppin by Roper. That looks like a great list! Can't wait to see some pics. :cheers:

bahh. they will be fine, up here it's suppose to get into the high 30s for a few nights, so I brought all the tomato plants in and the pepper plants that are in solo cups, the tomato plants were a huge PITA all being in 1 gallon pots and the boxes they were in got soaked so I had to switch all 60 of them into new boxes from Costco and put in the basement and setup the original 400w MH light lol.. next time they go out.. they are staying out haha, but it looks like after the cold weather (should last until next sunday I think here) it looks like the lows are up in the mid 40s, and hopefully in 2 more weeks it will be in high 40s/ low 50s for lows, that would be perfect

and where are those pics huh??? lol

We may be on opposite sides of this country but we happen to be planting out at the same time! I've been potting up all my gallon starts lately into 5gal containers for the last week, man I wish I could put some in the ground, would make my life alot easier. I hope all the stuff in the ground is doing good for ya. They'll be fine with the rainy weather you have in the area.. If I was rich I'd fly everyone over to my house for a week to show everybody how much rain/nasty weather/cold temps these things can actually handle lol. Hope all is well with you and your family dude.

Brandon

bahh. they will be fine, up here it's suppose to get into the high 30s for a few nights, so I brought all the tomato plants in and the pepper plants that are in solo cups, the tomato plants were a huge PITA all being in 1 gallon pots and the boxes they were in got soaked so I had to switch all 60 of them into new boxes from Costco and put in the basement and setup the original 400w MH light lol.. next time they go out.. they are staying out haha, but it looks like after the cold weather (should last until next sunday I think here) it looks like the lows are up in the mid 40s, and hopefully in 2 more weeks it will be in high 40s/ low 50s for lows, that would be perfect

and where are those pics huh??? lol

LOL! Here ya go!

ef4ac9ed.jpg

be8d6efb.jpg

And a Care PKG, MGOLD style...
f64065f3.jpg

Here is a quick vid.
We may be on opposite sides of this country but we happen to be planting out at the same time! I've been potting up all my gallon starts lately into 5gal containers for the last week, man I wish I could put some in the ground, would make my life alot easier. I hope all the stuff in the ground is doing good for ya. They'll be fine with the rainy weather you have in the area.. If I was rich I'd fly everyone over to my house for a week to show everybody how much rain/nasty weather/cold temps these things can actually handle lol. Hope all is well with you and your family dude.

Brandon

Look at that! We are like ESPNing! :lol:

I know they can handle a bit of cooler temps, I am just kicking myself cuz I could have waited a few days. In addition to two cool days and nights, those happen to be stupid windy. THANK GOD I had a fan on them the whole time, without it they would have been in the neighbor's yard. So far I haven't lost any leaves and even though they look a little pissed at me, tomorrow when it is 75 all day, Thursday when it is in the high 80s and then Friday again at the mid to high 80s they will be happy and forget my torture! Talk about stupid NC weather! Last year it was 78 today....

Oh, and I got a gift cert for Amazon.com from the inlaws for the BDAY....so I GOT SOME SMARTPOTS, because I am SMART!

1218d8b2.jpg

I can't wait to give em a shot.

looking good man!, that T-tape looks like works great, I was planning on getting the manure and compost in this week, but it's raining until friday, and I work a lot on the weekends, but maybe I can get a day free to do that, then I gotta get some of that T-tape! and some warm weather! lol

Looks great! Hope I can get my areas built up as nicely as yours. Most of my plants will be going in to the ground (asap) once I prep the ground to my liking. I'm a bit behind to where i should be right now with plants in ground, but hey it's CA out here so i have a long grow season, so I'm not too worried about it.

Matt you're awesome, I can't thank you enough for the info you've given this season let alone your generosity. :P

Back