• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

Looking great! Man, must be nice to be able to plant out already... I never got around to answering you about Masschilehead, he didn't post what exactly happened for him to lose all his stuff, so I don't know. Anyway, looking great - keep it up.

Looking good Matt. :dance:
Those inground plants are gonna really thank you in the long run. :party:

Jamie

Oh and someone is super lucky to receive those beautiful plants. I don't think I could have the heart to give away such beauties. :P

Damn man! That's going to look like a f**king jungle in there when they have all expanded. Very nice!!!

Man I cant wait! It is gonna be awesome!

Looking great! Man, must be nice to be able to plant out already... I never got around to answering you about Masschilehead, he didn't post what exactly happened for him to lose all his stuff, so I don't know. Anyway, looking great - keep it up.

Thanks Andy, I almost screwed everything up with the past few days of cold weather. The weather looked good before Mass, but when I was walking out I knew that it may have been a bad idea. The good news is I see a bit of new growth so that means I didn't kill everything. I should be putting a bunch more in pots this weekend. I am lookin forward to those smartpots.

Looking good Matt. :dance:
Those inground plants are gonna really thank you in the long run. :party:

Jamie

Oh and someone is super lucky to receive those beautiful plants. I don't think I could have the heart to give away such beauties. :P

Thanks Jamie. I can't wait to send all the care packages out full of little pods of fire.

I hope you don't mind if I follow the smart pot use Matt. I'm trying them too and am wondering how they work.

LOL! I bought them after seeing them in your GLog. I think it is more of me following you.... :lol:

2 of them I am gonna use straight PROMIX, pearlite, (like yours) and I am gonna add some tomato tone, and the others I am gonna use the left over topsoil blend (turkey compost, pine fines, hardwood mulches and topsoil) mixed with PROMIX, pearlite and tomato tone. I heard they can dry a bit quicker, so that may be awesome for PROMIX since in my experience it is sometimes tough to drain.

Great to see them in the ground Matt. Are you gonna cover the plots with a mulching(pine straw works good...and can be free if look around) of some sort ?
I am gonna have to do a fence as well , but first, I gotta figure out my "extras strategy" ...I don't want 30 pots, so I'll end up splitting the difference-add some to the rows, leave some for 5 gal buckets.

Matt. Man. It has just been awesome watching you since you joined this site. From the original hot pepper numb hand reviews to your struggles with the gardening. You do an incredible job of talking to the audience with your videos. They are informative and entertaining. Hell, I fancy myself a reader. I don't watch youtube or the news online. When it comes to your videos though, I don't even think about it. I just hit play.

You have an incredible attitude and perseverance. Your progress is quite admirable. Keep it up! I see only good things in your future!

Great to see them in the ground Matt. Are you gonna cover the plots with a mulching(pine straw works good...and can be free if look around) of some sort ?
I am gonna have to do a fence as well , but first, I gotta figure out my "extras strategy" ...I don't want 30 pots, so I'll end up splitting the difference-add some to the rows, leave some for 5 gal buckets.

I am planning on mulching once they grow a little bit. Since I got a late start (thanx overwatering!), I am gona let em get a few inches taller and settle into their new home and then do some mulching. I am hoping sometime at the end of next month they will all be putting on daily growth and I can get in their and readjust. I know what you mean on the pots. I have just under 40 plants left over and I don't wanna be tripping all over pots in the garden. I am thinking if I can narrow them down to 12 I will be in the right ballpark. We shall see, this weekend I plan on potting them up.

Looking great man :clap: :clap:

Thanks, I am happy to just have some still living :lol:

Matt. Man. It has just been awesome watching you since you joined this site. From the original hot pepper numb hand reviews to your struggles with the gardening. You do an incredible job of talking to the audience with your videos. They are informative and entertaining. Hell, I fancy myself a reader. I don't watch youtube or the news online. When it comes to your videos though, I don't even think about it. I just hit play.

You have an incredible attitude and perseverance. Your progress is quite admirable. Keep it up! I see only good things in your future!

Thank you Seth, that means A LOT! I enjoy sharing my story with people, and the easiest way for me to do that is through videos. I am all about figuring out what works for me, and I know that that isn't always what works for others, but it may help someone identify something they may have been having trouble with, steer someone away from something, or just show what not to do :lol:. Now I am in the ground and have some pots that are gonna get planted soon, so I am hoping that will help others because I am covering all the bases! I hope one day to grow like Ronnie or Greg or really any others out there that have really got their process dialed in. I am sure they started just like me, killing seedlings by loving them too much, and figuring out how to make it work for them. Until then, I will keep tweaking until I can send boxes out to all the noobs and vets that are running around here looking for some extra :onfire:!

Do you have any pics of your Giant Bhuts from TPGM? Mine look especially symmetrical and somewhat unique compared to my other naga and bhut types, I wonder if other people see the same thing too:
BigBhut1.jpg

Just caught the update on hooda's glog...way cool move my friend! Way to spread the heat and love!

I am happy that they made it to him. I found out that Cali can be a bit stingy with plants that are coming into the state....I am so relieved that they made it without being snatched up! Also, I like the fact that something that I started is getting finished across the country.

Do you have any pics of your Giant Bhuts from TPGM? Mine look especially symmetrical and somewhat unique compared to my other naga and bhut types, I wonder if other people see the same thing too:

SG, this is one I took a few mins ago.
c456eceb.jpg

It got banged up pretty bad from our really windy week :( Although it is hurting, it looks pretty similar. I will keep an eye on it when it gets a few weeks to grow up and ill snap another pic. Thanks for stoppin by!

Great update video on the pot up Matt.

Beat me to the punch! I didn't even have any tags or a description, and you already checked it out! Thanks for watchin!

Alrighty, time for an update. It has been a hell of a week. We had some low 40s temps, crazy wind storms, and multiple downpours. I jumped the gun and put 60 plants in the ground last week, and in hindsight, I could have waited a week! But, the good news is everything is alive and recovering from the elements! Today I took some time and put about a dozen plants in some pots. I put the 6 best looking ones in the smart pots, and the Infinity got the #7. Right off the bat I love the smart pots, they just seem like they will do great for me. I decided to make my own soil mix, and I used what I had on hand. Here is my super scientific method for mixing...I am sorry if you aren't able to understand the formula, I recommend you read a chemistry book to help out. Ok....here it is.........
Mix a bit of topsoil, organic stuff, compost, promix, pearlite, and fertilizer together and put it in a pot. Ta'da! :rofl:
b061fcb4.jpg

So, I told you guys that these babies needed to get potted up!
4f24dcad.jpg

Here is the Lucky Infinity that got the #7 Smart Pot:
37995e0d.jpg

This Choc Bhut I got seeds from TPGM is putting off some growth at the nodes:
89776a95.jpg

Here is all that got potted up today:
6d43b425.jpg

I know it isn't a lot, but the wife kinda screwed up my plans....she let me sleep in after my whole week was plagued with 6am mornings, and THEN she had French Toast made...

Also, I decided to go with the 4' bamboo sticks for the plants. They are 6 bucks for 25 at Lowe's so i got a few bags of them. I think it is wishful thinking that they will get that big....but I figure that they are big enough to handle a heavy load.
ce45f07c.jpg

Finally, the "left-overs"....
7554203f.jpg

Oh....almost forgot...
http://youtu.be/rNqx3oorv9Y

hey Matt, those sticks, are those the ones that are all packaged up together, with a bar code on each one? Because my dad did that last year and did the self checkout and just scanned 1 of the bar codes for each one and got a bunch, and this year my mom grabbed one group and went to a register, and the lady counted every single one, although the prices seem different so I guess it's just a different package, I am going to head there monday and check it out, I have a bunch of no where near enough, I was just going to maybe do some lines of string on each side to help support them with 2 poles at the end of each row, but I think I will only do that for the tomatoes since they get huge (and just use big cedar trees that I cut up into poles)

looks great!

They are the ones that are in a bag, there is 25 per bag. There are other ones that are like 98c per stick, but these are grouped. There are a few that will end up being too skinny, or cracked, but when you are paying a quarter a piece, you get what you pay for.

nice, I will definitely check it out then and yeah, even when they do get bent or something, can still use them, they are pretty good..

oh and I just realized, those are the actual bamboo poles, not the plastic "bamboo" ones, I have the plastic ones, but I will get some of the 4' bamboo ones, because that is a good deal

My 18 month old just watched the video with me, so you do well with the 18 month demographic, fyi. And holy crap, I loved the spider encounter. "That's why you wear gloves..." actually, that's why you live in the northern states, so you don't have to worry about those things being poisonous. Sure, down south you can grow longer, if you don't get bit by one of the many deadly creepy crawlies that live there.

I think you'll have plenty plants in the ground that will hit the 4 foot mark. Last year I got off to an awful start with my aji lemons and still ended up pruning them to keep them from being taller than I was. It was late in the season and I wanted the plants to focus on pod production.

Anyway, things are looking great - and it'll be interesting following along with those smart pots. Sounds like a neat concept.

Nice looking Glog. Plants look pretty healthy. Weather by us hasn't been wonderful either. The weather in march was way better than it was all april. Keep it up man, looks like your doing a good job.

Things are looking up since we have had some warmer weather. A lot of new growth!

Anyways, here is a vid I took last night walking through the garden .

oh and I just realized, those are the actual bamboo poles, not the plastic "bamboo" ones, I have the plastic ones, but I will get some of the 4' bamboo ones, because that is a good deal

Yea, that makes sense, plastic is probably sturdier and more uniform, therefore more expensive.

My 18 month old just watched the video with me, so you do well with the 18 month demographic, fyi. And holy crap, I loved the spider encounter. "That's why you wear gloves..." actually, that's why you live in the northern states, so you don't have to worry about those things being poisonous. Sure, down south you can grow longer, if you don't get bit by one of the many deadly creepy crawlies that live there.

I think you'll have plenty plants in the ground that will hit the 4 foot mark. Last year I got off to an awful start with my aji lemons and still ended up pruning them to keep them from being taller than I was. It was late in the season and I wanted the plants to focus on pod production.

Anyway, things are looking great - and it'll be interesting following along with those smart pots. Sounds like a neat concept.

Thanks Andy, and little miss Andy! I am hoping that some of em hit the 4' mark, with the way things are lookin now I am sure that they will end up blowin up! Right now I am trying to figure out the smart pot. Just checkin them every night to see if they need watering. Once I get it down, it is gonna get hot and then I am gonna have to figure it out all over again!

Nice looking Glog. Plants look pretty healthy. Weather by us hasn't been wonderful either. The weather in march was way better than it was all april. Keep it up man, looks like your doing a good job.

Thanks! I hope the weather turns around for ya!

Back