• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MGOLD86's GLOG, of sorts. NEW Billy Boy Douglah Review!

baeb2f3f.jpg

With that being said,
welcome.gif
to my grow log.

As a disclaimer, if you came here to learn how to grow peppers the right way, you might as well leave. Also, if you get easily offended, send all hatemail to Romy6. Thx. If you are looking for a pro log …… click http://www.thehotpep...al-discussion/. If you want meticulous notes, and updates like clockwork, click http://www.thehotpep...hot-grow-2012/.

For those of you who are still here, I’m Matt, and you can call me that. That or homie, bro, chief, man, buddy, or Javier. This is season number 2 and last year was a disaster. Somewhere between scouring the web to find out why all my plants couldn’t break the 2 foot mark I ran across this forum, and bam, hooked. I started gathering seeds in June and got them in dirt (or coffee filters) today.

Here is my list:

Scorps:
ButchT- Pepper lover/Chad S 3
Red TScorp-AJ 3
Yellow TScorp-Brian 3
TScorp Marouga-Pepper Lover 3

Indian:
Red Bhut-Pepper Lover 3
Assam Bhut Indian Carbon- Pepper Lover 3
Giant Red Bhut-PGM 3
Choc Bhut-PGM 3
Peach Bhut-Aji Joe 3
Naga Morich- Brian 3

7's:
Yellow 7: THSC 3
White 7: Pepper Lover 3
Jonah: Pepper Lover 3
Primo: Pepper Lover 3
Barrakpore: Pepper Lover 3
Douglah: THSC 3
Brain Strain: CMPMAN 3
Yellow Brain Strain: Pepper Lover 3
Infinity: Wouter 3

Habs:
Red Savina-Pepper Lover 3
Red Hab- Pepper Lover 3
Orange Hab- Pepper Lover 3

Crosses:
Naga x 7 Pot-Chad 3
Peach Habalokia-Aji Joe 3
Red Scorpanero #2-Aji Joe 3
Yellow Habalokia-Aji Joe 3

Others:
Fatalii-Pepper Lover 3
Trinidad Perfume-Pepper Lover 3
Tabago Seasoning-Pepper Lover 3
Aji Yellow-Aji Joe 3
Inca Red Drop-Kevin 3
Maui Purple- Kevin 3

Medium:

Biker Billy Jal- Burpee 0
Cayenne- Burpee 0

Mild/Sweet:

Joe E. Parker- HM 0
Red Bell Orion F1- HM 0
Yellow Bell Catriona- HM 0

For background on my set up with plenty of pics and commentary click http://www.thehotpep...-now-with-pics/ basically, I have a 5x5x7 growtent with a 600w MH.
8cb5f8e2.jpg

I am planting via 2 methods, coffee filter and direct sow. I want to eventually plant out 1 of each variety so I sowed 3 seeds. I soaked my seeds last night in water and planted 1 in a tray of Hoffman’s Seed Starter (thanks Ronnie),
fe6e7491.jpg

and the other two I stuck in coffee filters and plastic bags. So EVERYONE is aware, this method is not a quick one. Consider yourself warned.
b28bda4d.jpg

When I finished planting/bagging everything, I stuck it in my tent which maintains about 81-84 and we shall keep our fingers crossed.

d3223e2c.jpg

parting shot
7464807f.jpg

Now it is time to PWN some 12 year olds in MW3. Peace!

Now, THAT is a nice harvest, very nice indeed. Hope you have someone to keep an eye on it for you while your out and send you some little packages.

Cheers,
RM

Thanks RM! The wife said she would harvest for me at least until the freezer is full....hopefully I get a bag of each before she gets tired of crawling around on the ground.... :)

Wow, impressive harvest!!! Have you reviewed the Maui Purple or the Red Cheiro yet? I'd be interested in hearing a little about those two.

I hear you about the struggles on the low calorie eating. I started off the summer eating so healthy, than we had Father's Day, our anniversary, my daughter's birthday, 4th of July, one of my son's had a birthday, and then my birthday. It's hard to stay on track with all of those special occasions crammed into one month! Once that pineapple upside-cake is gone, I'm getting back on the wagon though, LOL!

Thanks Bonnie, I did a video that covered them a few back. I was pretty surprised at the heat level of the Red Cheiro, that little bugger is HOT! LOL.. If you are interested, PM me your addy and I will send over some, I have PLENTY of those!

Way to go Matt. That is some sweet poddage. Every pepper looks perfect. And that is only the beginning. Your wife is gonna get really good at harvesting and taking pics. Hope she has your THP sign on ;)

Stop by the house while your in Florida :party: have a brew or two :rofl:

Good to have you around Jamie! I am really excited to send out some packages! I didn't realize how many ripe pods I had on those plants. If I am driving through, I will stop by for a few!

Great harvest Matt! Love the vids, very entertaining as well as informative. Hot ones give me the hiccups every damn time! Hate the friggin' hiccups. Guess that's how you know they're good. Keep up the great work brother.

Eric

Great harvest Matt! Love the vids, very entertaining as well as informative. Hot ones give me the hiccups every damn time! Hate the friggin' hiccups. Guess that's how you know they're good. Keep up the great work brother.

Eric

Thanks Eric! I actually started to film another vid last night, but the TSMB turned out to be a "NOT" TSMB.... :( Hopefully I can get time to shoot a different vid tonight.

Whats up all?? I decided to feed the plants some tea last night, to which they seemed to love. I also had the wife outside harvesting while I fed. WOHOO!! She did a great job and pretty much pulled everything that I would have and only freaked out once when a huge spider came crawling by her. Anyways, here is a shot of the harvest and a few shots of some new peppers.

38d67f09.jpg

52cca24e.jpg

70936cc4.jpg

0192c252.jpg

0a76245a.jpg

Like I mentioned to Eric, I took a generous bite of my TSMB last night for a video, and it turned out not so hot. I am not really pissed, in all reality it is pretty fun seeing which peppers grow true or not. I also have a "Not" 7 Pot White, which I forgot to take a photo of. Needless to say, it is red and the size of a big lemon! It is the bottom row second from the left, in between the choco habs and Giant Red BJs. I will try to snap one later, if not ill get one next harvest.

Happy Growing!

Matt that sucks about the not but it is amazing to try if it has a new flavor that is unexpected. Bhuts look gnarly man those things look huge. Keep up the amazing work out there and can not wait to see the new video review.

DAYUM! NICE LOOKING PODS!

I cant wait until I have a harvest like that.

Thanks! The patience definitely pays off bro. It is a blast getting to see these things that I have babied for over 6 months finally start to "grow up"! I really never thought I would be pulling so many damn pods. Once they start, they don't stop.

Matt that sucks about the not but it is amazing to try if it has a new flavor that is unexpected. Bhuts look gnarly man those things look huge. Keep up the amazing work out there and can not wait to see the new video review.

Yea, that is the story of this season for me. I am happy to see them come out and it is always a gamble. I mean there really isn't a stamp on the seeds that say it is a TSMB, so you really never know what you are gonna get. I can't wait to give it a try!

nice harvest and pods they look huge

Thanks my friend! I am astounded at the size of these badboys. Some of them are the size of the palm of my hand. Simply ridiculous! Thank you for stopping in!

Great harvest Matt! Great job buddy! Which one(s) you gonna review this weekend?

You know, I am not really sure. I am working on some seed stock right now, so I have to wait until the pods are super ripe and need to split em open anyways. I really don't plan on making powder before I leave, but you never know. So I sent out a few boxes, and plan to send a few more. I think that the Red Scorpanero #2 is on my plate, maybe the Infinity, and probably the NOT 7 White. But this is all if my stomach cooperates!

Very nice harvest there Matt. I like how you list the data on the peppers along wiht the pic. Keep it hot!

RM

Thanks RM, I totally stole that idea from Chris. I plan on updating them with taste and growth information. I wanna make a "baseball card" so to speak. It will help me, and hopefully others, to select the right strains to grow in the future.

Great update and those giant red bhuts look nice. If they grow like mine you should get your best (and biggest) ones later in the season. I tried one of mine a few days ago and even though it's still green it was already really hot. I think the heat/stress this year on the plants may limit overall production for some folks but the pods they do get should be screaming hot!

Matt.. There's really no way to thank you enough for the box of pods that showed up this morning, I know I sent you a dictionary long message already but again, thank you so much buddy!

Being a new dad just like me, I thought you might enjoy this :)
My daughter Saydee was just as excited as I was to take a look at what you sent our way :D
Thanks again buddy :)

IMG_2521.jpg

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2525.jpg

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2532.jpg

WHEW....Your glog was first stop for "catch up" time, My 3 wks home allowed for lots of shovel work(lowering drainage to allow that lake under the house to drain-we have had a$$ loads of rain) , lots of Aphid warfare(I have never seen aphids like I have had this year...crazy, but alot of that is my fault for squeezing plants in rows every 18"-every plant grows into its neighbor with a foot or so of overlap-so one gets bugs ...soon they all do- but it does help with "mutual support", keeping the ground shaded so the roots stay cool -my Black Nagas are 5' , so there are advantages)...anyway..
1. The Brains don't always throw "typicals" at first, once the plants get established , usually, they start throwing the classic Brain for the most part-at least that has been my experience.
2. You get bonus points for eating REAL steaks, and that Scorch is the best steak sauce I've ever had- I ate steaks 3x the first week home just get my fix!The sauce is NOT blazing hot as you would expect-it lets the meat have the front seat, and provides for a great finish.
3. The Browns are beasts, I liken the height of the heat with swallowing red hot razor wire. I just planted 2 more from my stragglers pile- I will be working up a hot sauce for these guys.
From the difference in the plants, and pod configuration-I feel there is a difference between the Browns and the Douglahs, though it may be only slight-the Brown doesn't seem to have the bitterness of the Douglah. I may have to do a side by side comparison "gutting" with the few I brought with me....haha-after the Brown I sampled at the house, I may have to trick myself into doing it.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: because if I cut em both open -they will both have to be eaten right?Thats a tough call, for doing both the same day. :onfire:
4. The Infinity....tons of variation among mine as well, but they seem to have settled down a bit.The taste is the same throughout though- pretty ferocious, and a vigorous plant.Me likes!
5. The Naga x 7 red....mmmm! The pods I tried tasted very similar to the Infinity, but had the Naga smell. Saved the seeds for next year for sure.
6. How's the Scorpionaro on taste?
7. I hate getting this far behind on the glogs! I feel like I'm AWOL or skipping school when I can't stay current on here- and the wife is mystified as to why I was so urgent about getting an update or 2 in when I get home each time, too funny.
8. I numbered these so it wouldn't seem like I was feverishly playing catch up and rambling out "pepperisms" to fill the void left by my recent neglection of regular presence on here!
9. The tape leaks a bit I have found- so I dabbed a TINY amount of silicone sealant on the weep hole, then wrapped it with some tape-problem solved.
Now I will get the hell out of here, as I'm still waaaay behind......
Have a good one-
Dave

Great update and those giant red bhuts look nice. If they grow like mine you should get your best (and biggest) ones later in the season. I tried one of mine a few days ago and even though it's still green it was already really hot. I think the heat/stress this year on the plants may limit overall production for some folks but the pods they do get should be screaming hot!

Yea, my giants are poppin out pods JUST like the ones I got from you last year. I am gonna be heading out soon, and the wife will harvest for me, but i still think the pods that are hanging on the plants now are pretty impressive. I brought one to a BBQ last night for a guy that works for me. He has had dried bhuts before, but kept saying bring me a Ghost!! Well, I did....About, oh, 4 seconds into chewing he realized his mistake. I don't think he will be asking for any more peppers. :)

Matt.. There's really no way to thank you enough for the box of pods that showed up this morning, I know I sent you a dictionary long message already but again, thank you so much buddy!

Being a new dad just like me, I thought you might enjoy this :)
My daughter Saydee was just as excited as I was to take a look at what you sent our way :D
Thanks again buddy :)

No worries man, I am happy to share. Also, great photos. Pretty soon, mine will be sitting on the counter and posen with my pods. lol.

That is really cute! What an beautiful daughter you have, can't wait till mine is that big :)

Totally missed your harvest pics, absolutely stunning harvest, Matt! Great job.

Thanks! It seems like every time I go outside there is more red or orange or yellow to snatch up! Thanks for stoppin in!

WHEW....Your glog was first stop for "catch up" time, My 3 wks home allowed for lots of shovel work(lowering drainage to allow that lake under the house to drain-we have had a$$ loads of rain) , lots of Aphid warfare(I have never seen aphids like I have had this year...crazy, but alot of that is my fault for squeezing plants in rows every 18"-every plant grows into its neighbor with a foot or so of overlap-so one gets bugs ...soon they all do- but it does help with "mutual support", keeping the ground shaded so the roots stay cool -my Black Nagas are 5' , so there are advantages)...anyway..
1. The Brains don't always throw "typicals" at first, once the plants get established , usually, they start throwing the classic Brain for the most part-at least that has been my experience.
2. You get bonus points for eating REAL steaks, and that Scorch is the best steak sauce I've ever had- I ate steaks 3x the first week home just get my fix!The sauce is NOT blazing hot as you would expect-it lets the meat have the front seat, and provides for a great finish.
3. The Browns are beasts, I liken the height of the heat with swallowing red hot razor wire. I just planted 2 more from my stragglers pile- I will be working up a hot sauce for these guys.
From the difference in the plants, and pod configuration-I feel there is a difference between the Browns and the Douglahs, though it may be only slight-the Brown doesn't seem to have the bitterness of the Douglah. I may have to do a side by side comparison "gutting" with the few I brought with me....haha-after the Brown I sampled at the house, I may have to trick myself into doing it.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: because if I cut em both open -they will both have to be eaten right?Thats a tough call, for doing both the same day. :onfire:
4. The Infinity....tons of variation among mine as well, but they seem to have settled down a bit.The taste is the same throughout though- pretty ferocious, and a vigorous plant.Me likes!
5. The Naga x 7 red....mmmm! The pods I tried tasted very similar to the Infinity, but had the Naga smell. Saved the seeds for next year for sure.
6. How's the Scorpionaro on taste?
7. I hate getting this far behind on the glogs! I feel like I'm AWOL or skipping school when I can't stay current on here- and the wife is mystified as to why I was so urgent about getting an update or 2 in when I get home each time, too funny.
8. I numbered these so it wouldn't seem like I was feverishly playing catch up and rambling out "pepperisms" to fill the void left by my recent neglection of regular presence on here!
9. The tape leaks a bit I have found- so I dabbed a TINY amount of silicone sealant on the weep hole, then wrapped it with some tape-problem solved.
Now I will get the hell out of here, as I'm still waaaay behind......
Have a good one-
Dave

Well, Dave, you know I hate to read. However, in this case I will make an exception....

1. Interesting point about the Brains. The thing that initially keyed me to it being "different" was the fact that I thought I mislabled them. But they started punching out pods that were WAAAAY more wrinkly than BJs. I talked to Chris and he hadn't seen them, and John (Pr0digal)'s brains have the same "dimple" at the bottom of the tail (although his is pushed in like the typical brains are). I will keep an eye out for any sort of change in shape, but so far they are all tailed and pretty standard.

2. You are never gonna believe where I found them and what I paid for those badboys. I got them at Food Kitty for 6 bucks a pound. I ALWAYS buy my meat at the commissary, it is just much much cheaper, but I was getting buns or something and saw they were on sale and took a look. Needless to say, neither the wife or I finished....And I absolutely loved that sauce. I keep meaning to do a review on it, but haven't had the chance yet. You are right, great flavor and a good amount of heat. Not what I was expecting after trying the 7 Brown, but still good.

3. Yes. Fu*&ing hot.

4. Yea, I am just selecting the shape I like and going with that. I sent Brandon and Ben my only 2 ripe ones, so they will each have a different shape, and I am gonna pull seeds from the next one that comes off the plant. If it is cut open that means I have to eat it right??

5. I am with you on that one. I really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to see how this years turn out. It is a different shape than last year, these are more blocky. I haven't tried the Infinity, so this makes me wanna try it even more!

6. I don't know yet, gonna do a review of that one tonight.

7. Correct, you are AWOL. Haze yourself.

8. I like the numbers. Made it easy to track.

9. Drip Tape?? I really haven't used it but once or twice. We have had a pretty wet summer, so it is more of a "nice to have" than a "need to have".

Thanks for stoppin in Dave!

Last night I gave the 7 Pot Barrackpore a shot:
Watch in HD!

What's up everyone! I am trying to build the seedbank up a bit, so right now I am going after the pods that are just perfectly ripe. So on tonight's plate was the 7 Pot Barrackpore. A really good choice, as it was hot, but not too hot, and tasted great.

On Taste. Immediately, it was fruity and almost "candy-like". I was surprised and it took a bit for me to pinpoint it. It was a pleasant flavor, which lingered for a few minutes.

On Heat. It was definitely a mouth burn, and focused on the bottom of the tongue, and the areas that the pod touched (lips, tongue, and cheek). What was interesting about this is the fact that it came and went in waves. It was almost like my tongue had a pulse and with each breath it was hot, and then died off. It was probably on the lower end of the heat spectrum for 7s.

Overall, it was a great tasting pepper, and the heat was bearable. I think the best thing about this pepper is the fact that it is a rockstar producer and the pods are gnarly looking!

Trying to get the vid to pre-load on youtube now. Funny you say it was sweet and not the hottest of the 7's. Its probably the 3rd hottest overall I've tried so far (behind the Brain and Infinity), and the flavor for me tasted like dish soap! Could have something to do with where they were grown. Hope mine turn out with a sweet heat like that!

Brandon...don't you know better than to let your toddler play with FIRE!!! Lol too cute man. Her expressions look just like mine do when I receive a box of pods!

Great pod review that 7 pod barracapore look awesome with the placenta blanket, but that is interesting a candy flavor I have two late start plants that starting to flower can not wait to try hopefully they look gnarly and have the same flavor.

"OMG how could you have done that to Rob!" My wife's laughing her ass off lol.
Great review buddy, I'm going to go straight for your Doughlah today :hell:

Hey the video is actually loading on me!

The drip line tape was for the empty spots, so you don't just water the ground between plants or rows, and the flow stays where you want it. Your not kidding about the rain...but that only happens because we have drip lines and timers!
Time to watch the vid!

[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]Correct, you are AWOL. Haze yourself......LMAO[/background]

Back