• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

MikeUSMC: "Bury Me in Smoke"

Ok, I started with a Jim Beam barrel on Craigslist for $100

Sanded it down with a wire wheel on an angle grinder on the bands.
80 grit, then 120 grit, then 150 grit sandpaper "flapper" wheel on the oak
Cleaned it up nice

5/8" self tapping stainless screws (predrilled pilot holes) in every stave to hold the bands up, and to stop the barrel from falling apart when I cut the top off. This took FOREVER

Off comes the top, out comes the loose char. Smelled like smoky bourbony awesomeness

Little 14" Weber "Smokey Joe" for the bottom. I drilled a ton more holes in this for better airflow, and altered the legs a little so it would sit lower

Access door to refill water pan/charcoal

Four 3/4" threaded pipe air vents w/ caps to control the airflow. High-temp, food grade caulk in each stave joint

Somewhere along the way, after all the hardware was on (holes drilled), I was ready for paint. I love the textured look of this stuff. (Spray paint) "Forged Hammered Antique Pewter"

A coat of stain, and BOOM!

'MERICA. :cheers:

Boss, let me know if you want me to delete any of the double posted pics. I'm not looking to get in trouble here :)

Unfortunately (or not :lol: ), I’ll be down in Austin, TX eating BBQ that day!

So, lets see....slogging through a competition or eating BBQ in Texas?

You are wise for your young years Grasshopper! ha!

Lot's of great places to eat BBQ in TX, but sadly Sonny's is no longer one of them. They were the best many years ago, but sold out and became a chain.

Have a great trip!

Last edited:
So, lets see....slogging through a competition or eating BBQ in Texas?

You are wise for your young years Grasshopper! ha!

Lot's of great places to eat BBQ in TX, but sadly Sonny's is no longer one of them. They were the best many years ago, but sold out and became a chain.

Have a great trip!
Agreed! Sonny Bryan’s, Dickies ,Spring Creek were all great back in the day. All helped shape BBQ culture in Texas but not the same anymore☹️

Last edited:
If it's not on your list, consider stopping by Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ if you can.
It’s definitely on there, @sobelri, thanks! 🍻

This is the list of places (restaurants and food trucks) that I’ve got on my list, so far. If you couldn’t already tell, food is probably my favorite thing on the entire planet, lol :lol:

Snow’s

Franklin

LeRoy and Lewis

BRISCUITS

Loro (Franklin’s Asian/BBQ)

Terry Black’s

The Salt Lick BBQ

Gus’s Chicken

The Picnic (food truck park)

Güero’s Taco Bar

Taco Deli

Torchy’s (tacos)

Chuy’s

Con Todo (taco truck)

Bird Bird Biscuit

The Peached Tortilla (Asian/Southern food truck)

Canje (Caribbean/Guyanese cuisine)

Valentina’s TexMex BBQ

Veracruz All Natural (breakfast tacos: get the migas)

Southwest Diner (brunch)

Fork and Stix (Thai food)

La Petisserie Choquette (pastries)

———————————

If anyone knows of any more good places to eat in/around Austin, or thinks that any place on that list is a waste of time, trust me, I’m all ears! 🍻

Scratch taco deli off that list lol. Torchy's is chain that came from Chicago it's meh, go for breakfast if anything. I'll will take a Torchy's Burrito over Chipotle any day tho. Chuy's is decent and a little different take on Tex-mex, I like the Elvis green chile chicken with a fried egg on top.

It’s definitely on there, @sobelri, thanks! 🍻

This is the list of places (restaurants and food trucks) that I’ve got on my list, so far. If you couldn’t already tell, food is probably my favorite thing on the entire planet, lol :lol:

Snow’s

Franklin

LeRoy and Lewis

BRISCUITS

Loro (Franklin’s Asian/BBQ)

Terry Black’s

The Salt Lick BBQ

Gus’s Chicken

The Picnic (food truck park)

Güero’s Taco Bar

Taco Deli

Torchy’s (tacos)

Chuy’s

Con Todo (taco truck)

Bird Bird Biscuit

The Peached Tortilla (Asian/Southern food truck)

Canje (Caribbean/Guyanese cuisine)

Valentina’s TexMex BBQ

Veracruz All Natural (breakfast tacos: get the migas)

Southwest Diner (brunch)

Fork and Stix (Thai food)

La Petisserie Choquette (pastries)

———————————

If anyone knows of any more good places to eat in/around Austin, or thinks that any place on that list is a waste of time, trust me, I’m all ears! 🍻

Jeezzus! How long you going for, a month? lol

I feel your list lacks real authentic Mexican. You have to drive around the hood to find the best spots. In Austin I believe that’s the North and East side. Look for the construction and landscaping trucks at lunch time and you’ll find good food that ain’t on yelp.

1000003560.jpg

Back