• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

MikeUSMC: "Bury Me in Smoke"

Ok, I started with a Jim Beam barrel on Craigslist for $100

Sanded it down with a wire wheel on an angle grinder on the bands.
80 grit, then 120 grit, then 150 grit sandpaper "flapper" wheel on the oak
Cleaned it up nice

5/8" self tapping stainless screws (predrilled pilot holes) in every stave to hold the bands up, and to stop the barrel from falling apart when I cut the top off. This took FOREVER

Off comes the top, out comes the loose char. Smelled like smoky bourbony awesomeness

Little 14" Weber "Smokey Joe" for the bottom. I drilled a ton more holes in this for better airflow, and altered the legs a little so it would sit lower

Access door to refill water pan/charcoal

Four 3/4" threaded pipe air vents w/ caps to control the airflow. High-temp, food grade caulk in each stave joint

Somewhere along the way, after all the hardware was on (holes drilled), I was ready for paint. I love the textured look of this stuff. (Spray paint) "Forged Hammered Antique Pewter"

A coat of stain, and BOOM!

'MERICA. :cheers:

Boss, let me know if you want me to delete any of the double posted pics. I'm not looking to get in trouble here :)

Got access to a couple more pics from a couple months ago

Swineapple Kebabs
(Dry rubbed) Cubed pork tenderloin and a chunk of pineapple, wrapped in bacon, smoked over apple wood
IMG_4628.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

Absolutely delicious, but they freakin' fell apart when trying to eat them. If you have the time, I'd suggest using individual toothpicks vs. long skewers. It might be more time consuming, but less messy to try to pick up and eat in the long run.

MikeUSMC said:
Got access to a couple more pics from a couple months ago

Swineapple Kebabs
(Dry rubbed) Cubed pork tenderloin and a chunk of pineapple, wrapped in bacon, smoked over apple wood
attachicon.gif
IMG_4628.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_4629.JPG

Absolutely delicious, but they freakin' fell apart when trying to eat them. If you have the time, I'd suggest using individual toothpicks vs. long skewers. It might be more time consuming, but less messy to try to pick up and eat in the long run.
DAMN MIKE those look Killer What temp and how long ya 'll cook those brother. A little splash of your BAJAN PEPPER SAUCE would be perfect with those little packets of pork :)  

oldsalty said:
DAMN MIKE those look Killer What temp and how long ya 'll cook those brother
Thanks, Old Salty! Yeah, they're tasty! Going from memory, I think I put those on while I was cooking a pork shoulder too. If I had to guess, I'd say I did them at 225-250*, and probably no longer than 2 hours. I just remember sticking a temp probe into the biggest chunk until it hit 160-165ish. The prep work took about as long as the cook :rofl:
oldsalty said:
A little splash of your BAJAN PEPPER SAUCE would be perfect with those little packets of pork :)  
Now you're speakin' my language ;) Sounds like you enjoyed it, brother! I'm glad! I've gotta get another batch of that sauce going soon :cheers:

I'm on a roll this week, haha

12lb beef brisket, just put it on at 6pm. I get roughly 5-6 hours worth of burn time per load of charcoal in the 14" Weber in the bottom of my barrel. Gonna check it again at midnight, load more charcoal, then again around 5am

I might've gotten a little overzealous trimming that one spot, lol. This will be my first "full size" brisket, not counting a little 4.5lb flat I did once. Wish me luck ;)

IMG_5755.JPG

IMG_5757.JPG

IMG_5759.JPG

:cheers:

The Hot Pepper said:
Good luck homie! Don't worry about removing the fatcap in that area, it all melts anyway, so it will get some love from surrounding area.
Thanks, Boss. I'm not too worried about it. I've got the fat cap facing down too, like you would using a WSM, since the heat is coming straight up from the bottom

Back