• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mildfruit 2021 Expanding from hydroponics.

Hi all! 

This is my third grow blog. You can find the first one here, and my second one here
I started out with pure hydroponics using both kratky and growdan blocks as I was restricted to indoor growing. Last year I experimented with indoor coco coir with great succes using the auto pots!

Now this year will be a little different, because due to a new job I had to move and my new apartment have a huge glass balcony (facing south)!
Under firm negotiations with the GF I managed to land a deal to have 4 outdoor plants. 
As part of the deal I had to give up one of my two grow tents  ;)

However this means I will have coco coir indoor, and for the first time in a long time I'll have plants in soil outdoor! 
Im really excited to compare plants. 

Realistically this means I'll have 8 plants, 4 outdoor and 4 indoor. Im still not sure witch I'll choose, but more on that later.
First I'll start with the current setup witch will continue straight from the old glog.

A quick overview of the main tent. 
IMG-0432.jpg

From the left in the back we have the dutch chille, a heavy producer of a generic annum that tastes pretty great and I use it almost daily. 
Next in the middel is Stripey, a sugar rush peach with red stripes. 
Lastly to the right in the back is poblano. 
In the front to the left is a yellow Biquinho. 
And the last and smallest is a lemon spice jalapeño. 

Lets begin with a taste test: 
My Bahamian goat, or whatever it really is, the pheno is off and their size is rather small, but that could be due to grow environment. 
IMG-0417.jpg

IMG-0431.jpg

Is also really prolific, but as you all can see, the pheno is not correct. 
The taste is really good, and heat is also on the spot. I guess the taste and heat are the most important criterias for peppers. So I still have high hopes for the hot sauce. 

IMG-0426.jpg

The Biquinho haven't produced as I hoped, but the light space is rather cramped in the tent, and that is probably a factor.

IMG-0427.jpg

I harvest peppers daily from this weirdo. I call it a weirdo due to its grow pattern witch is all over the place. But its the pepper im mostly enjoying at the time so weird is good  ;)

IMG-0428.jpg

The Stripey have been a slow producer so far, I estimate around 7-10 pods on the plant so far, but hopefully it will pick up soon. 

IMG-0429.jpg

The Poblano, have lots of pods but still not a single ripe pepper.. Patience is key it seems.. 

IMG-0419.jpg

Lastly a picture before I started to dehydrate my peppers. The dutch chille works great as dried as well. 

I wish everyone a better 2021! 

Great finish to your indoor grow, Rasmus.
Can't wait to see your balcony addition!

I suppose you have you checked the
poblanos for softness? They are great
for chili rellenos when green. I think they
even make a pretty good salad pepper
while green.

PaulG said:
Great finish to your indoor grow, Rasmus.
Can't wait to see your balcony addition!

I suppose you have you checked the
poblanos for softness? They are great
for chili rellenos when green. I think they
even make a pretty good salad pepper
while green.

Thanks Paul, great to have you aboard this year as well! 
Will be very interesting for me to grow "normally" again, will be fun! 
Yes, and my next post will contain more info as well, but they where fully firm but as most chocolate/black varieties they take their sweet time to mature unfortunately. 
I believe you! I just tasted a ripe one and wow! Im in love with this pepper! 

Mr.joe said:
Great looking plants and now you get to grow outdoors too. Be fun to follow along, wishing you great success for 2021

Thanks Joe its great to have you again! 

Oh boy. 
My poblano finally ripened, it just took a very long time. 
IMG-0445.jpg

Under here is a picture in low light conditions which further revealed the color change. 
IMG-0440.jpg

IMG-0441.jpg

IMG-0454.jpg

And the inside certainly shows of the color change. 
Review: 
The taste is very sweet, and resembles a bell pepper, but with a hint of something else I cant quite describe. The heat is low, but I will describe it as a little buss on the lips. I can see why this pepper is so popular smoked, and that's something I have to try in the summer! This pepper is outstanding, its big, beautiful and tastes great. Obviously its not a hot pepper, but when you want a stuffed pepper, or in a salad with people not accustomed to hot peppers, its a winner. This will be one of my peppers to grow outside in the summer. 

IMG-0443.jpg

Next my Bahamian Goat, this pod is the one that closely resembles the correct pheno, I hope the next set of pods follow suit. 
IMG-0451.jpg

First powder made from dehydrated Bahamian goat pods. Great aroma and heat. 

IMG-0447.jpg

Sugar Rush Stripey is doing better and better. Starting to set out lots of pods, and some really heavy and "fat".
IMG-0448.jpg

First flower on my lemon spice :)

Nice, Rasmus. Pods and plants looking good.

That Goat is a real winner. should be awesome
when it ripens!

Good stuff MF - the hits keep coming.   So, your poblano ripened to brown versus red?  I grew a mulato poblano last season that ripens brown versus the standard red and thought it was outstanding.  Was yours expected to ripen brown?

Goat powder looks good too.  I'm sure that will get plenty of use.

PaulG said:
Nice, Rasmus. Pods and plants looking good.

That Goat is a real winner. should be awesome
when it ripens!
Thanks Paul, Im looking forward to that particular pod is ripening, then I'll finally have a pretty pod for pictures :D 

CaneDog said:
Good stuff MF - the hits keep coming.   So, your poblano ripened to brown versus red?  I grew a mulato poblano last season that ripens brown versus the standard red and thought it was outstanding.  Was yours expected to ripen brown?

Goat powder looks good too.  I'm sure that will get plenty of use.
Thansk CD! I bought seeds from fataliiseeds and the pictures on the site look brown/blackish, so I guess it grew true according to the vendor. I had no idea they normally grew to red, we don't get poblanos in this part of the world very often :-) But im really impressed with this pepper, works very good in the kitchen, and very GF friendly, at least for me :D 

IMG-0456.jpg

This is one pod of my poblano. We had it in a dish called Beef stroganoff, worked very well, it suppled the dish with a very very discreet burn. Worked out great. 

IMG-0465.jpg

One of the smaller pods of my Biquinho, I never get a big harvest of these, I simply snack them all away. 

IMG-0468.jpg

I really like the looks of these Stripey Sugar rush peach. 

IMG-0470.jpg

Heres some crosses hopefully setting. 
Been doing:
Dutch chili x Poblano 
Yellow Biquinho x Bahamian Goat. 

I have no idea what to expect from either cross, the first one seems to have made it. 

EDIT*
IMG-0471.jpg

A picture from the Costa Rican red, that have been outside all the time. Still have an unripe pod hanging. Its an incredible plant. 

Its been some time since the last update, but I have some exciting news to share, a list of varieties and a few pictures ;)

IMG-0561.jpg

After a good trim this is what is left in the tent. My Yellow Biquinho and the cross I made with it, didn't survive my week long absence unfortunately. 
IMG-0545.jpg

I simply love this pepper. What it lacks in heat, it more than makes up for in taste and usability. 
IMG-0558.jpg

IMG-0559.jpg

Two pictures of my Bahamian Goat. Unfortunately this is the two only normal sized pods, most are rather small as you'll see in a bit. 
IMG-0563.jpg

Rest of the harvest...
IMG-0562.jpg

My dutch chili crossed with my poblano.  :P

And now to my grow list for this year! 
I should start by saying this will be a small list. The reason is space, I simply won't have space in our new apartment for indoor peppers. So my grow list will only consist of outdoor peppers this year. In soil  :surprised:  :P

Murupi Amarela
Murupi-Amarela-9.jpg

From thehippyseedcompany. Unfortunately I never had any luck with the seeds from SLP, they germinated fine, but they all developed leaf symptoms that looked like BLS. So I'll try out this vendor for the first time. 

Next is a c. pubescens 
I still haven't decided on this, but I'll probably plant a few different seeds and take the best seedling :)

Next is my Dutch chille x Poblano cross. I've never grown out my own crosses. 

Lastly I'll wait for the taste of stripey before I decide the last spot, if its a winner I'll plant this again, if not I'll probably plant a jalapeño  :P

Resurrected! 
Hi all, I've been busy with RL stuff, both moving apartment and starting my new job. Luckily I've had time for some peppers as well. For the first time in many years, I've started the seeds rather late, at least later than what I usually do. 

I've also chosen my seeds!
But first, a quick recap of my last peppers. 

IMG-0583.jpg

IMG-0584.jpg

This was my "striped" SRP. Unfortunately they all came out pure red. Luckily they tasted great, but its always a letdown when stuff don't grow true. 

IMG-0586.jpg

My Bahamian goat, great plant, but as the striped SRP, I had no pods resembling the phenotype I was going for. 

IMG-0616.jpg

The new startups are: 
Orange locoto I'll link a picture down below, from semillias.
Murupi Amarela, from the hippie seed company
Dutch chille x Poblano, my own cross from last season and first time im growing my own cross.
Lastly pepperoncini thin pheno. 

It will not be a huge jungle, but this is what my current space allows and should provide nicely for me and my GF.

capsicum-orange-locoto.jpg

Picture of the orange locoto
IMG-0622.jpg

Closeup of the orange locoto as a plant. 

A small but mighty grow, Rasmus!

Good luck with this nice selection of peppers!

As for phenotypes, I notice that here in the Pacific
NorthWest USA I get 'true' phenotype pods only in
the nicest Summer  weather. Heat seems to bring
out the gnarl. the rest of the time, pods seem more
generic.

PaulG said:
A small but mighty grow, Rasmus!

Good luck with this nice selection of peppers!

As for phenotypes, I notice that here in the Pacific
NorthWest USA I get 'true' phenotype pods only in
the nicest Summer  weather. Heat seems to bring
out the gnarl. the rest of the time, pods seem more
generic.
Thanks! Its nearly impossible to begin, when my "must-grow list" have 30 varieties :D 

Ah I haven't even thought of that before, but it makes sense, since my grow so far have been regulated temperature wise. 
Would be quite intersting to test. 

Mildfruit said:
Thanks! Its nearly impossible to begin, when my "must-grow list" have 30 varieties :D

I feel your pain, my friend. It's hard to
decide who gets to make the final cut!

Even when there is room for 30 plants   :rofl:

PaulG said:
I feel your pain, my friend. It's hard to
decide who gets to make the final cut!

Even when there is room for 30 plants   :rofl:
Haha I can only imagine :D 

IMG-0692.jpg

Here is the plants. It feels like cheating only using the sun ☀️ But I like it. And so does the plants, I guess the sun really is the best growlight. 

IMG-0693.jpg

The small plant to the right is the cross between my old dutch chille and brown poblano. A brown variant of the dutch chille would be a cool out come.  Left top is the orange locoto, and under is the murupi amarela. 
IMG-0694.jpg

The biggest plant is the pepperoncini. 

Things seem to be coming along well, MF.  It's sure a different look for the rocotos growing in the natural sun versus the LED's!  

Was too bad the Stripey wasn't stripey for you - how did the pods taste?

Looking forward to following along with your dutch x poblano.  That could be an cool one.  Would be cool to see the prolificacy of the dutch chile with an even chunkier pod.

Plants look robust and healthy, MF!

You are right about the sun. I notice a
real uptick in growth and vigor when
my plants start getting some true sun-
light in the Spring. 

Keep up the good work. I really like
seeing those Grodan blocks in use.

Back