• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mildfruit 2023

IMG_1263.jpeg

Here we go!
Can't believe I created my first glog back in 2018, back then it was all about indoor hydroponics in a small tent. Now it's in a greenhouse, and this year I don't have to build it! :P

This year I will also be monitoring the greenhouse more intensely. I have installed a greenhouse "computer", a device monitoring temperature, humidity, and lux levels. All this will be accessible on my phone, so hopefully, I can use this data to improve the plant environment further. I will also use this to monitor soil water levels in plants not in autopots. Handy to be able to check on the phone if plants need water :D

I will also be collecting rain water, as opposed of using tap water, as were I live the water is rather hard. Hopefully this will make a difference, at least it will be cheaper :halo:

Anyway, this year I will live up to my username, most plants will be rather mild.
This list is subject to change.

Name:Vendor:Note.
Quadrato d’Asti Giallo XL pot Yellow bell pepper
Thunder Cacho Brown
Spanish Giant XL pot Red Bell pepper
Jalapeno El jefe
Guajillo
Chilhuacle Negro
Candy Cane
Freshno
F3 Dutch chili x PoblanoOwn seed stockFirst cross.
Habanada
Canario
De ArbolOwn seed stock
Peruvian Giallo AranciaOwn seed stockOld favorite
Pimentos de gernika (Padron pepper)
F1 Murupi x pimenta de NeydOwn seed stock.
The maybe list:
Cajun Belle
Jalapeno Mammoth
???

I began my pepper journey today planting seeds of the Habanada pepper and Canario. Being c. chinense and c. pubescent respectively, they could use a little headstart.
The rest will be planted in two weeks' time.

I wish you all a great growing season🌶️🌶️🌶️

Looking good!
Thanks CD!

But not everything is going as hoped :/
Today I walked in on a plant that had decapitated itself, it looks like the roots weren't fully developed and it simply tipped over and out of the pot.
It was my Canario plant. I have tried submerging it in water, but it looks grim as no roots are attached anymore.

Another plant my Cajun Belle broke of a branch with too many pods on it. Now, I know it could have been much worse and I should count myself lucky it was only a branch.
IMG_1119.JPG

To end on a better note, here's a new picture of my murupi x pimento de neyde F1 cross,
In this light it's much easier to see how purple it looks, with the same shape as the mother plant so far.
IMG_1108.JPG

A little update:

While I wait for some ripe pods, I have some pictures to share :)

My Spanish Giant are finally beginning to grow some pods. In the picture, you can see my Canario plant, as I try to revive it after it snapped at the main stem. It does look bad, but I hope it will work. Oh yea, the reason im holding this unripe pod, is because it fell off during inspection :doh:
IMG_1130.JPG

On to the Habanada. Lots of pods, and some are getting rather big. They sure don't look innocent, but they should be heatless, time will tell..
IMG_1154.JPG

As my Carnario plant tipped over, I now had an empty pot. So for once in my life, it was lucky I planted more seeds than I needed haha.
My De Gernika plant took the spot, and so far it looks good.
IMG_1155.JPG

Now my old favorite plant that I haven't grown in a few years, Peruvian Giallo Arancia. It has finally set out some pods, now I just have to wait a few years before they are ripe..
IMG_1151.JPG

Murupi Amarela x Pimento de Neyde F1
IMG_1152.JPG

So far it seems the shape is from the Murupi plant, but in a fatter, slightly bigger way. The color however is from De neyde. Every day I look to see if the color changes, to detect the ripe stage. Really excited about this, I can already feel the bias when I'm going to taste this one, so take my upcoming review with a grant of salt 😅

Attachments

• IMG_1153.JPG
    IMG_1153.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 40
Looks promising! The purple pod is beautiful!
I think there's no saving in that canario plant. You may be able to take some cuttings of it though. Better remove all those leaves because they need too much water that the plant cannot provide without a root system.

I had a similar situation last year... I had a large pubescens growing in a rather large pot which I had standing on a table in the garden. But the plant grew somewhat unbalanced and with the increasing size and weight of the pods, at some point the plant+pot tipped over and fell on the ground. Stem broke off at the soil level 🙄 That was the end for that plant...

Looks promising! The purple pod is beautiful!
I think there's no saving in that canario plant. You may be able to take some cuttings of it though. Better remove all those leaves because they need too much water that the plant cannot provide without a root system.

I had a similar situation last year... I had a large pubescens growing in a rather large pot which I had standing on a table in the garden. But the plant grew somewhat unbalanced and with the increasing size and weight of the pods, at some point the plant+pot tipped over and fell on the ground. Stem broke off at the soil level 🙄 That was the end for that plant...
I think you are right Marc, it was perhaps a bit much to hope for. But interesting you had the same happen to another pubescens. Maybe they are a bit prone to it? I think next year I better tie it up, oh well.. the next year seems so far away..

However, I did fancy some pickled peppers, and I just had so many unripe jalapeños so I went for it.

The top row is El jefe (the boss) hybrid jalapeño, it does have a kick and the pods look great.
Bottom ros is Jalapeño Mammoth, and these were not even the biggest on the plant. However, what they have in size, they lack in heat.
IMG_1158.JPG

Here's another view, with the biggest (ripe) El Jefe (right) vs a mammoth pod (left)
IMG_1159.JPG

into the brine solution and straight into the fridge. In a weeks time I will be a happy snacker.
IMG_1160.JPG

It's almost August!
I still haven't gotten ripe pods from all the peppers yet but in the next few days I'll get to try a few more it seems.
Let's begin with my cross (murupi amarela x Pimento de neyde) F1. I'm unsure if it's ripe, but I think we will be there soon(ish).
It seems it's ripening to white in the parts that the sun hasn't touched. Very excited.
IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

Next my Padron-like pepper "De Gernika" have produced some monster sized pods. Im not sure what to do with those :D
IMG_1224.JPG

And here is a picture to compare with a ripe Habanada pod.
IMG_1228.JPG

Speaking of Habanada,
I tried the first one yesterday and WOW! What a great flavor, and as promised, zero heat. This will be a returning player in the greenhouse for sure.
This is the snacking pepper I have been looking for, so sweet and with that chinense smell and flavor we all like. Im glad the plant is full of pods!
IMG_1214.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

Guajillo is this one called, and will be ready soon as well. Really like the shape and size of these already.
IMG_1222.JPG

Quadrato DīAsti Giallo will also be ready very soon.
IMG_1220.JPG

At least you do have some ripe pods! I virtually have nothing ripe yet...
Oh no!
I guess Im just very impatient having looked at all these green fruits for what feels like an eternity :p

are there no seeds in the habanada?
My padrons are monsters as well :D
Thats a good question. I went and grabbed two ripe ones, and they were also without seeds 🤔
Maybe someone knows why that is?

Oh that's nice to hear! How are you using them? I find the size a bit too big for the usual tapas way of eating them

Thats a good question. I went and grabbed two ripe ones, and they were also without seeds 🤔
Maybe someone knows why that is?

Oh that's nice to hear! How are you using them? I find the size a bit too big for the usual tapas way of eating them
there must be seeds somewhere - because I grew mine from seed :lol:
Haven't picked the padrons yet but like you I prefer them to be small for tapas - I'll probably cook the same way, olive oil and salt in a pan but chop them smaller, will let you know what happens :D

Looking good, MF. That greenhouse is really pulling its weight!

Your Guajillo are looking solid. What's your plan for them? I'm thinking either plain drying or a light smoke with mine if I get a reasonable batch.
And great to see your murupi / de neyde getting close! :dance:

there must be seeds somewhere - because I grew mine from seed :lol:
Haven't picked the padrons yet but like you I prefer them to be small for tapas - I'll probably cook the same way, olive oil and salt in a pan but chop them smaller, will let you know what happens :D
Oh yea, that sounds smart, haven't thought of that. Let me know how it goes!

Looking good, MF. That greenhouse is really pulling its weight!

Your Guajillo are looking solid. What's your plan for them? I'm thinking either plain drying or a light smoke with mine if I get a reasonable batch.
And great to see your murupi / de neyde getting close! :dance:

Thanks CD!
My plan was initially just drying them, but know that you mentioned smoking them, I have been researching for half an hour haha.
How do you smoke them?
Oh im so excited to try them, hopefully within the next few days!

I have a Webber charcoal grill, so I can get them a little smoke flavor using this method then dry them in the dehydrator.
Ah great resource! We also have a Weber (gas) grill, but a smaller one. I could get a small "smokebox" and follow the same method in the video. Would be a great way to enhance some of the jalapeños.
This next part is in Danish ;-).
www.grillbutikken.dk har en grillkurv
1690910148825.png
som jeg havde overvejet netop at bruge til chili. Jeg ved ikke, om det kunne være noget?
Great idea! But then I would need a bigger grill first :D Would love to hear how it works out for you :).

Some harvests and some trouble.
First, we had the most rain in July, in nearly 100 years. So I'm glad my peppers are protected inside the greenhouse.

Next, the first taste of the Guajillo pepper! This photo shows the size compared with Jalapeño Mammoth
IMG_1242.JPG

Here's the wall thickness. Immediately the sweet smell from a really ripe bell pepper hits you when cut open.
Unfortunately, the smell is not the only thing this pepper has similar as a bell pepper. The taste is great, sweet and juicy, but I can't detect any heat at all. My GF who is more sensitive in terms of capsaicin detection, said she could detect a fairly hint of heat. I hope the next ripe pods have just a bit more heat.
According to pepperseeds.eu, they should have around 3k Scoville, and thin walls. Hmm.
IMG_1244.JPG

Speaking of Bell peppers.
Here's a size comparison with a Jalapeño to my unripe Spanish Giant
IMG_1255.JPG

It only have a handfull pods, some I have removed due to BER, but they all seems to grow big, so that's nice :).
IMG_1254.JPG

And soon some Brown pods!
Due to colorblindness, I can't tell when these are ripe, so I drag my GF out every day to confirm ripeness haha.

Chilhuacle Negro​

Soon the two in the center bottom should be ready!
IMG_1251.JPG

Likewise my Thunder Cacho brown are starting to turn
IMG_1250.JPG

Today when harvesting I touched my De Arbol pepper, and like my Canario it simply snapped off.. I must remember next season to bind all peppers. I have a lot of ripe pods on this plant, will it make any sense to keep it? Will they ripen like this?
IMG_1252.JPG

To end on a better note, this harvest picture makes me so happy.
IMG_1256.JPG

Back