• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MisterNo's glog - harvest time :)

I was looking all of this beautiful glogs here, and decided it would be nice to share some info about my log also
icon_smile.gif

Thanks to good people from THP (Ela, SuperHot, Dshlogg) and some shops and ebay sellers), I've managed to collect a nice amount and variaty of hot pepper seeds.

1. Serrano
2. Purrira
3. Numex B. Piquin
4. Georgia Flame
5. Jalapeno M
6. Jalapeno Purple
7. Habanero Mustard
8. Scotch Bonnet Red
9. Habanero Red
10. Habanero Chocolate
11. Habanero Jamaican Hot Ch.
12. Habanero Red Savina
13. Habanero Mustard
14. Aji Habanero
15. Giant Wht Habaneros
16. West Indies Red
17. Black Stinger
18. Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
19. Bhut Jolokia Red
20. Fatalii Yellow
21. Fatalii Red
21. TS Butch
22. 7 Pot Brain Strain
23. Aji Cubanelle

Now, about my setup...
Since I have two jobs nowdays (lack of time) and I currently have a lack of space in my house, I've decided to improvize and try to keep thinga as simple as it gets, and with low budget costs.

For germination I used jiffy coco pellets soaked in chamomile tea. They are in the plastic box on my wifi router with a nice amount of heat and moisture. Temp inside is 26 ºC (78.8 ºF).
First to emerge from the pellets where west indies red, bhut jolokia red and aji habanero, on the sixt day.

Germination went great - I'm only waiting for giant white habs and red savina to come out, all of the others are already transfered to plastic cups, and put under the 32w (150w) Phillips Tornado bulbs (cool white, 6500k).

Weather in Zagreb is getting better, snow is melting, sun is coming out, so I put my plants on the table to soak up the sun in the midllde of the day, and in the afternoon I put them back in the setup box under the bulb. The box is covered all around with aluminium foil to reflect the light.

So far so good
icon_smile.gif

The first two peppers that came out (west indies and bhut jolokia), are also the fastest growers - they are 20 days old and hacve formed 3 pairs of true liefs. The other are mostly growing fine as well.

When they get bigger and the weather stabilizes, I will put them in bigger pots and transfer them to my parents farm, where they will enjoy plenty of sun and fresh air
icon_smile.gif

I've taken a lot of pics of my setups, I will upload them for you to see. This is what I have for now:
Germination set up:
2upzupd.jpg

Pellets:
11v18h4.jpg

Bhut jolokia chocolate, on seventh day from starting:
201udc.jpg

West Indies Red:
1zyu1ps.jpg

Reactions: Ela
Fantastic hab Robert! I've never grown them before either, but they sure look good. Glad to see you have buds on your poblano. The season might be a little short for them right now... Mine set pods back in June. Do you think frost will hold off for you at least until mid-Sepeember? If not, maybe keeping them in your hoophouse would be the best place for them. Have you tried any of your tomatillos yet? When they get yellow-ripe the taste reminds me a bit of apples. Simmered and whirled up in a blender with roasted garlic and de Arbol chiles... salt and pepper to taste, and they make a great tangy salsa. Cheers!

I think I'm safe with frost till late October, so Poblanos should have enough time to ripe. i gave them a big 20 litre pot with good soil, it should provide enough food for them.

I didn't grow tomatillos till now, and no ripe ones yet. I guess in a few weeks.

Thanks!

Since the season is going well, there is not much left to wright, only to show off with pic :D
1.jpg

Hope it goes great for all of you out there :)

Nice pull Robert! I like the pickles and condiments you have behind the pods too! Do you mostly use your harvest fresh, or do you preserve it for later? Cheers

Thanks Rick.

I preserve most of the harvest for later (salsa, sauce, dried, pickled and frozen peppers), because I'm the only one in family that likes this kind of heat so much :D

Nice harvest and well thought out ideas on what to do with the harvest. Pickled peppers are a great way to preserve them in the long run.
I'm always adding "bird or cayennes" to my jars of pickles....
Have fun with your future harvests

Greg

Since the season is going well, there is not much left to wright, only to show off with pic :D
1.jpg

Hope it goes great for all of you out there :)

Ima da te neko iz Podravke "zaganja" sto im kvaris marketinski koncept,mijesajuci ambalazu drugih proizvodjaca sa njihovom. :D

Lookin' good,Robert. :clap: I'm so glad that,Jack and I've been part of a team that convert you into an avid hot pepper grower. It is great to see you growing something that is not so common with your neck of the woods.We would love to be part of your future growing endevours and help you out to get started with something new. ;)

PS:Nadam se da su susjedi prezivjeli ljute eksperimente? :D

Lookin' good,Robert. :clap: I'm so glad that,Jack and I've been part of a team that convert you into an avid hot pepper grower. It is great to see you growing something that is not so common with your neck of the woods.We would love to be part of your future growing endevours and help you out to get started with something new. ;)

Thanks.
Looking forward to future adventures ;)

P.S. Susjedi su zivi, a sto se Podravke tice, ovo mi se pokazalo kao najbolji nacin upotrebe njihove ambalaze :D

Things are going ok here, and I was quite busy last few weeks (or maybe a month :D) so I wasn't here much.

Weather is still extremly hot here with very low humidity. Not an ideal weather conditions for a pepper grower, but plants are fine, and I'm harvesting every week :)
It could be better with proper conditions, but I'm satisfied - from few of them I'm having a second crop in this season :)

Here are few pics:
Habanero Mustard
2m31h04.jpg

Fatalli Yellow
212wtgp.jpg

Most Excellent! Glad to hear things are still producing for you at the end of the season. How do you like the Fatali chiles? I think I may grow them next year. Cheers

Most Excellent! Glad to hear things are still producing for you at the end of the season. How do you like the Fatali chiles? I think I may grow them next year. Cheers

Fatali is my favorite kind of chiles, do I need to say more? :)
Excelent citrus flavour, nice heat. Great fresh or powdered, superb for use in stews or sauces.
If you like I will send you some seeds.

In a last month I've spent a lot of time in kitchen, cooking tomato sauces and preserving peppers for future use - I've made a lot of sauces and powders, and now I'm fermenting pepper. I'm very excited about that since I'm doing it for the first time and i like what I see so far :)

Weather should be ok for next two months, so I'm hoping for a long producing season :)

I'm still harvesting, lot's of plants are having second crop, some are going to first ripe pods, all in all I'm enjoying it :)

Judging from the weather guys, we will have an Indian summer in Croatia till the end of October, so things are looking good in prospective :)

Jalapeno M
168bd5d.jpg

Piquins
2d0ayv6.jpg

2sbo6r9.jpg

Poblanos from Rick
11mdox4.jpg

Bishop's crown
ezha1h.jpg

And a ''mistery'' pepper from experiment in February - while I was germinating seeds then, I noticed I dropped few seeds on the floor. So i took 3 of them, put them in a pot with a dead flower in my hallway. Put some soil over them and some water. No heat, no sun, water only once a month, room temp was 10-15 celsisus over night, and 15-22 over day. After two months one of them it germinated! :)

After that, I took same care around that plant like the others, and voila, 7 months later - it has flowers and setting pods :)
With that experiment I just wanted to show how easy it can be to germinate peppers. Sometimes, we just over do it :)

231nqd.jpg

Excellent looking plants Robert! Hope your autumn season is a mild one so you can get a good harvest in. That Bishop's Crown is a unique looking pepper for sure. What do they taste like?

Thanks for stopping by Rick.

Yes, in the matter of shape and looks, Bishop's crown is an exceptional pepper. The problem is, they tend to grow very mild in mild climate, and that's what happened to mine - they have very little heat or no heat at all (mine where grown with only a few hours of direct sunlight). Friend of mine at the seacoast grows them in a much hotter conditions, and claims they have a heat like a Jalapeno pepper. Taste wise, I was rather dissapointed, they had no pepper spicific aroma - acidic taste with a little bit of sweetness. Although, will give them a few more tries before I decide if I will grow them again. Maybe as ornamental pepper or as a giveaway peper for those that can't stand real heat :D

I'm very surprised with the White Habanero pepper. I got the seeds late in May from a fellow Croatian chilehead and didn't know what to expect. They started ripening two weeks a go, and I must say - this is a fantastic pepper! Little (birds eye pepper size) and white, with a classic smokey habanero taste and heat! I read a lot about people complaining that there's a few versions of this peper going around, some of them growing orange or peachy in color, with no heat. But mine are white with a real habanero taste and heat :)

Thanks for stopping by Rick.

Hi Robert!

Yes, in the matter of shape and looks, Bishop's crown is an exceptional pepper. The problem is, they tend to grow very mild in mild climate, and that's what happened to mine - they have very little heat or no heat at all (mine where grown with only a few hours of direct sunlight). Friend of mine at the seacoast grows them in a much hotter conditions, and claims they have a heat like a Jalapeno pepper. Taste wise, I was rather dissapointed, they had no pepper spicific aroma - acidic taste with a little bit of sweetness. Although, will give them a few more tries before I decide if I will grow them again. Maybe as ornamental pepper or as a giveaway peper for those that can't stand real heat :D

Good to know... Denniz in southern California sent me a few, and I saved the seeds. I've been a bit overwhelmed with the pods the kind folks here have sent me, so I ended up drying and powdering most of them so they wouldn't go bad waiting for me to taste them. The Bishop's crown was one of those. I haven't really got room for ornamentals, so I guess I'll put the seeds on the trade list. Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm very surprised with the White Habanero pepper. I got the seeds late in May from a fellow Croatian chilehead and didn't know what to expect. They started ripening two weeks a go, and I must say - this is a fantastic pepper! Little (birds eye pepper size) and white, with a classic smokey habanero taste and heat! I read a lot about people complaining that there's a few versions of this peper going around, some of them growing orange or peachy in color, with no heat. But mine are white with a real habanero taste and heat :)

I hear ya about the White Habs... Chris at Joynershotpeppers sent me a few, and I was amazed at the heat for a Chinense that was so small... Literally about the size of a jellybean.

I'm also in trouble with the number of varieties for the next season - I have seeds for 50 varieties of hot peppers! Not enough space for all of them :D

I will have to exclude some of them, or some will be grown with the courtesy of my friends. Hopefully :)

I'm also in trouble with the number of varieties for the next season - I have seeds for 50 varieties of hot peppers! Not enough space for all of them :D

I will have to exclude some of them, or some will be grown with the courtesy of my friends. Hopefully :)
I've heard that pepper seeds are good for 5 years if properly stored. i.e. in a dry, cool, dark place. The refrigerator's "crisper" drawer would be ideal if the seeds were packed away in a tightly lidded container with something inside to absorb moisture. On the advice of some folks in a gardening forum, I put my Parsley and Perilla seeds in the freezer... big mistake. None of them sprouted.

Here's an interesting info. I have planted peppers on 4 different locations, this is comparison between pods of the same species on two different locations.

Location 1
4 to 7 hours of direct sunlight, peppers where in the shadow of a nearby forest. No watering (only when I planted them) and no care, I wasn't even patrolling this location for a month. Peppers got water three times this summer - when it rained :D

Location 2
7 to 10 hours of direct sunlight, regularly watered, fertilized and cared. Generally, I was taking care of this plants every week, patrolling and looking if there was anything they need.

Both location are 200 feets away from each other, seeds were from the same sources.

On the picture bellow are the peppers from that locations (Purrira and West Indies Red). Location 1 on the left side, Location 2 on the right side. I guess you can see the difference in size (those are average pods on those plants) :)

And here is picture of Bishop's Crown pepper from those same locations
6embdi.jpg

It seems that location 1 had more humidity in the ground and in the air (thanks to more shadow time and the nearby forest, and that seems to be more helpfull then more direct sunlight in conditions of extreme summer temps like we are having last few years. It is even more fun knowing that location 1 wasn't my primary planting location, and there I planted leftovers, plants that were not looking good at that time :D

Not a scientific study, but interesting info :)

Hi Robert
Definitely interesting... Now the question is, what do they taste like? I've heard that if you stress the chiles by watering them less it increases capsaicin production and you get hotter chiles. Does that hold true here?

Hi Rick.

I must draw back what I said about Bishop's crown. The one from location no 1 is SIGNIFICANTLY hotter than the from location no2! And with a better pepper aroma :)
I will have to reconsider my opinion about not growing them.

West Indies Red I also find a bit hotter, didn't compare Purriras. So, a short answer would be yes, they are hotter. But I will have to wait for other varieties to rippen. That's the only drawback of location no 1 for now - due to less sun they are rippening a month after the other location.

Still not a conclusive test but I will compare other varieties to confirm it. Then again, it's often said that more sun also makes a hotter pepper, but this location had less sun then the others.

Looks like I have more question then answers :D

Back