• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food Mmmmmm...poppers!

I bought some new cast iron skillets & thought what good way to break in a brand new skillet. taking some tips from TB this is what I came up with, next time I'll tweek it alittle more add/subtract on some ingredients.
TB I like the shrimp thing, always wondered why you add shrimp.

heres some ripe fresnos w/shrimp, cheese, onion, black pepper, cinnamon, garlic, basil. before being wrapped in bacon (bacon not as good as what armadillo shows)

DSCF2303.jpg

heres cooked

DSCF2332.jpg

they were tasty just needs to be tweeked some.

Wow CH those look fantastic! And that is a wonderful way to break in cast iron. It's good juju that the first thang' cooked it that iron was a chile! What would you do different to tweek those?

Cheers, TB.

Those look scrumptious CH...and I agree with TB whole heartedly about the best way to break in a cast iron pan...

let us know how they taste...

texas blues said:
What would you do different to tweek those?

I would add a little more cinnamon & maybe more basil or some other herb that would work well with the ingredients for poppers.or add some other ingredients along the lines of asian flavors.
plus add habanero powder to the mixture (or hotter)
minus a layer of bacon :lol: had 2 layers of bacon on each popper :oops: cuz I didnt want any of the stuffing to fall out & get spread out in the pan. though even what did I scraped up & ate anyways & was tasty.
keep the shrimp, I like that.

AlabamaJack said:
let us know how they taste...

they tasted good, just needs some more tweeking IMO, otherwise I think jenny craig would of been proud of this meal :lol:

This is so inspiring! I will have to add shrimps to some of my next poppers and will keep you posted. My wife's birthday approaches and she ordered some poppers for the clan (all 6 kids will be there and the better halves of the older 5 and the daughter of the oldest son and also my sister) so a lot of mouths to stuff with stuffed peppers...

I have about 30 Hungarian hot wax chillis soon to ripen and I am going to use them as my popper chilli......

I will take pic's when I make them so I am not barred from ever posting again....:lol:

8 days and not one new popper pic. A damn shame I tell ya'. I might have to go all out Friday night but it may cost millions of $$ and cost thousands of lives...

Cheers, TB.

Holy shit CH those look awesome.

I've heard TB's call and I'm afraid i'm gonna have to go all iron chef on some poppers this weekend. And yes there will be pics.
images

Hey ya'll, behold last nights poppers straight from the oven in the Blues Kitchen. I had some sliced mozz and laid it on some proscuitto and rolled it up. I then sliced little rounds off of the mozz/prosc roll and sliced those in half making half moons. I put two of those moons in the hollowed out japs flat side down. I had some nice whole sundried toms in olive oil so I topped each popper with toms and then into the oven at 400F.
Perfecto mein froinds!

Behold!

0187.jpg

0188.jpg

Cheers ya'll, TB.

Pam said:
So, are you sure you're happily married?

I'm not in the dog house this week so...yes...happily married. Like all men though....just a matter of time until I get into trouble. The last time I was in the dog house I had simply asked a question..."what are you thinking?"

Cheers, TB.

cool TB...those look delicious...

:by the way I will be staying in the MGM grand where our meeting will be held:

Sorry to hear that you will be "slumming it" at the MGM but.... for the occasion I have a batch of salmon going in the marinade today. I'm looking forward to seeing you!

Cheers, TB.

thanks, TCG

TB - the poppers are looking great but missing the normal ingredients we're used to seeing. like a beer or shot of tequila inbetween each step :lol: :P

Back