• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food Mmmmmm...poppers!

texas blues said:
IGG...dude...lets get Philiperv in on this and maybe Jaybee or Uncle Big, which by the way, where you been Big? or whoever wants to be the Mac Daddy of Nagas and eat GBU-28 bunker busting mother of all hot bombs. Which of you will be the first to photo and doc eating a plate of naga poppers? Cheers, TB.

Sorry I never saw this. Too many threads and posts to go through. :( Anyhoo, I really don't have anything yet to stuff. Jalapenos don't grow well here and I'm going to build a greenhouse (possibly underground) to grow them and other things that don't grow well here like tomatoes, potatoes, etc. Also have some New Mexico hatch Chile seeds coming. Will see how they do in this climate.

Seriously, you guys are fu**ing killing me with this thread! Now I've got to break down and make some Naga poppers. Will post pics of the whole process. Damn!

texas blues said:
I don't think I can top Dillo's latest popper pics but here is last nights Christmas eve fare. I small diced yellow onion and red bell, added 5 cloves of fresh minced garlic, green onion, 25 pequins (not shown in the pic) 2 tablespoons mayo, shredded cheddar, shrimp and fresh lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste.

Here's the evidence...
0143.jpg

Stuffed.
0144.jpg

Finally!
0146.jpg

There is no end to popper goodness!

Cheers ya'll, TB.

TB how do you go about making them in a cast iron skillet? Cook on the stove for a while and put under broiler is my guess.

peter pepper said:
TB how do you go about making them in a cast iron skillet? Cook on the stove for a while and put under broiler is my guess.

I set the oven on 425 and check em in twenty. Easy as it gets. They're nice on the grill too!

Cheers, TB.

This came out of the oven 20 min later:
Sylvester04.jpg

Sylvester03-1.jpg

Even my mom liked them. They had a stuffing with mince and Feta and onions and some pepperoni powder. Those little orange cuties were about as hot as Cayennes. The big green and red ones were absolutely mild. The only heat came from the stuffing. So no challenge but really nice food. The red ones were really sweet and the sugar kinda caramelized...

Dillo ....please allow me to genuflect in homage to your almighty poppers sir! Only one way to describe those 'thangs...I call 'em sex on a plate. Bon appetite mein froind.

Cheers, TB.

I hate to say this but it isn't always about the heat, ducking as the bricks and bottles go flying overhead, sometimes the flavor of the pepper is the quest. Armadillo those look wonderful. I am seriously drooling over the red ones and the bacon wrapped ones and the pale green ones and...I guess that's all of them. I'm drooling over all of them. Great work.

armadillo - they look very tasty, those red ones could be like your own true chile burrito :lol:
the bacon you used looks like top quality compared to what I see at the stores around here. what kind is it ?

Thanx a lot guys! The red ones were the best ones even without the heat. I started some seeds of them.

chilehunter said:
armadillo - they look very tasty, those red ones could be like your own true chile burrito :lol:
the bacon you used looks like top quality compared to what I see at the stores around here. what kind is it ?

The bacon was "Schwarzwälder Schinken", a bacon from Black Forest in southwestern Germany.

Edit: Yeah, I could wrap them in a tortilla. But I also could wrap them in puff paste... Or what about a poppers quiche?

Armadillo said:
Yeah, I could wrap them in a tortilla. But I also could wrap them in puff paste... Or what about a poppers quiche?

I kinda meant you could use the red chile as the wrap/shell its self & just fill the chile with your own burrito ingredients or taco. they're big.

chilehunter said:
I kinda meant you could use the red chile as the wrap/shell its self & just fill the chile with your own burrito ingredients or taco. they're big.

I know what you were talking about but it made me kinda brainstorm... Sorry that I misused your post!;)

BUMP. Well I have nothing really new to say other than thank you TB Lord of the Popper for inspiring me to make some bacon wrapped poppers tonight. I had too much to drink to take pics and they looked just like the last few I made so it wasn't worth the hastle. I just want to keep this thread alive.

I have extremely fussy kids and grandkids..if the poppers aren't wrapped with bacon they get ignored. So every popper needs bacon in their oppinion.

The wife is headed to Chicago this morning so I will be batchin' it until she comes back Monday. She is going to visit the new grand daughter...

Soooooo...I will make atomic poppers this weekend...too bad I don't have fresh nagas or bhuts so I am going to use some of the Dorset Naga concentrate in the stuffing.

Store bought Jalapeno peppers will be stuffed in my usual fashion with mexican 4 cheese, canned chicken breast, a little Tony Chacheres Cajun spice, and some dorset naga concentrate...

Pictures to come during the process (probably tomorrow).

and yes, they will be bacon wrapped and grilled...maybe smoked....haven't made up my mind yet...

I make smoked poppers in the summer AJ. I smoke the jalapenos whole for about 30 minutes then take them off and let them cool a bit. Then I cut a slit in them and remove the guts, stuff them with cheese and pepperoni, wrap them with bacon, season them with rub, and put them on the grill. Mmmmmmm poppers!

so you smoke your peppers first before stuffing...

I will give that a try tomorrow...only thing I have to do is some transplanting and making something to eat... :lol:

JayT said:
BUMP. Well I have nothing really new to say other than thank you TB Lord of the Popper for inspiring me to make some bacon wrapped poppers tonight. I had too much to drink to take pics and they looked just like the last few I made so it wasn't worth the hastle. I just want to keep this thread alive.

Thanks bro. No matter how drunk you are when making poppers you are still obligated to take pics! How funny would it be that you post something like...." and here is a pic of the poppers fresh out of the oven..." and the pic you post is one of your dog licking his balls!

Cheers, TB.

Back